Time to sell your stocks and buy LEGO sets!!!

Ed Mack

Who was it that said "when others are fearful...." that all you can eat Buffet guy.

That being said, in 07/08 I was fearful and if I was smart, I would have invested more.  Properties in SoCal tanked and now mine is going up 15% just last year alone.  My house in Ohio is up %7 at least in a short 2 years.  

There will always be a correction, and then a rebound.  Whoever said Cash is King was right.  Dave Ramsey style.  You better have cash available.

While guns typically sell better during election years and political fear periods, they are a good asset to be able to liquidate quickly.  Guns always go up in value and can be used forever.

Toys, like LEGOs, also go up, exponentially more than guns in some cases (which is why I am on this board), but when a crisis hits where NOBODY wants to spend money as in 08, I wonder if people will splurge on blocks of plastic.  I don't think so.  When the fear of layoff or government shutdown is around every corner, the smart one will save his money.  Remember when Starbucks closed thousands of locations?  All those $5 coffees quickly became a perk, not a need.  

Now, with LEGOs and coffee, its a need.  We can live life well.  But as with 9/11 or any random day in the future, it can all change quickly.  So where do you put your assets and time?

Food? Guns? Survival? Fun? Education? Investments (LEGO)?  All are preparing for a different view of tomorrow.

For me, LEGO is used to spend good time with my kids, so its less of an investment than it is fun for today.  I can buy a lot of LEGOs because I already have the other areas covered.  And my wife said "you already have ENOUGH guns"  but hasn't said that about LEGOs yet  :sweat:

That being said, I am still investing, still putting into the ROTH IRA and scheming and plotting a financial well being for the future.  Cash under the mattress is losing its value at what, 4%+ a year?

• Like 1

You buy when the market is low.

I remember about 15 years ago, catching a report on CNN (or somewhere similar), where they were talking about the 1987 Black Monday crash, and where some stock prices were at the end of that day, and comparing it to where they were at that time (around 1999).  It was incredible how low some stocks were, compared to where they were 15 years later.

The smart investor in the stock market will look at any crash, and buy things up.  I don't know that any crash will happen.  If it does, I think it stands to be mineralized, because people are so much smarter about things like that now.

But, don't trust me.  I'm no stock expert, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I think in order to buy in when it is low .. you would have to cash out before it crashes .. than re-enter after it crashes. I am waiting for a crash so I can buy back in cheap :)

This is exactly why I began investing into Lego. If/when the market crashes, and my stocks go in the tank, at least I'll still have my physical inventory at my disposal. They may not be worth much at that specific time, but I feel better having a tangible product that I can somewhat personally control. At the very least, we'll be broke, but having fun building our Lego bunkers!

What a scam of a chart, even the article says its BS! Its funny how you can adjust the scale on a chart and make it show whatever you want it to show. Notice the great depression area DJIA chart is over a one year period, the current DJIA chart is over a 2 year. Notice how the great depression area chart rises from 200 to 400 points, thats 100% growth in one year!!!! while the current chart goes from 13,000 to 15,000, barely 15% growth in a two year period, so roughly 7.5% per year.

They are comparing 7.5% growth with 100% growth in one year. Historically the DJIA grows 8% per year.

• Like 2

The DJIA increased 27% in 2013, the chart represents a market pull back of 16% from today 15994 down to 13450 that is it. Is that possible? 

There was no Time scale adjustment and it is NOT a chart of the great depression. The depression was from mid 1930 when the DJIA was @294 to mid 1932 when it hit 41. http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/djia19201940.html The chart shown is before the crash, the end of the chart is when it is bouncing back to 294.

The crash is not represented on this chart. A 16% correction is. Is the chart still total B.S. and has no way of happening?

I did not create the chart, I don't know if it will play out but would like it to so I can reload the portfolio.

after reading this thread I feel that some are not aware the hassle that is selling a gun. In most states anyway. you cant put it on ebay and attach a shipping label to it. It's as involved as selling a car.

I hear you on that one. Here in Colorado, they put all these other restrictions to buying and selling firearms, that it is a total pain. 

after reading this thread I feel that some are not aware the hassle that is selling a gun. In most states anyway. you cant put it on ebay and attach a shipping label to it. It's as involved as selling a car.

Gunbroker, just like eBay for guns.

Armslist, just like Craigslist for guns.

It's not that bad, in a free state atleast.

If you want to sell it online sure, but i can walk into any gun shop or gun show and sell it no questions asked. Ive sold to friend and family as well as bought from them. Even selling online just requires it be shipped to a FFL dealer which isnt that big of a deal, every gun shop has a FFL. Only really restricted firearms are NFA/Class 3 items which are a hassle and expensive with the $200 tax stamp per item.

Well that's the scariest thing I've seen in a long time.  Thank you, Ed Mack...I think. :o

I wonder what a significant stock crash would do the dollar and food imports?  I would think the ramifications would reach far beyond the DJIA.

For those of you stockpiling guns and ammo: You're smarter than most, but I would recommend diversifying that stockpile to include supplies of dried food and water (or purification tabs).  I saw a Costco email advertising a year's supply of dried food.  ...Now where did I put my foil hat, again?

Finally, post of the year nomination to Spartikis, for accurate data handling/analysis.  I'm geeking out and welling up at this bit of analytical poetry:

Notice the great depression area DJIA chart is over a one year period, the current DJIA chart is over a 2 year. Notice how the great depression area chart rises from 200 to 400 points, thats 100% growth in one year!!!! while the current chart goes from 13,000 to 15,000, barely 15% growth in a two year period, so roughly 7.5% per year.

They are comparing 7.5% growth with 100% growth in one year. Historically the DJIA grows 8% per year.