Parting out and Selling - If you aren't using a label printer, you are wasting time!

So the results are in! I bought a DYMO 450. Super easy to get going and set up with labels for USPS. I cannot believe I ever used a freaking printer. This thing is INSANE! I thought I could also give people a little insight into my methods too. Feel free to suggest your improvements!

So here are some starting points - I am all about efficiency when working so I do a lot of timing myself and taking statistics. So here you go:

• I ship an average of 12 things a weekday - about 20 for the full weekend or more. Most of these are minifigures and parted out sets or used sets I sell without the box. 
  • I use USPS for the majority of shipments obviously - first class.
  • My old Process is this:
  1. Look at Ebay and see what I have sold.
  2. As I multi-ship, I write down the purchases into my records along with the zip code.
  3. I then print all the labels
  4. Using my records, I write on the tops of the labels what goes in each
  5. I then make my way to my Lego storage - in a room in my house I have tons of drawers and shelving. I retrieve everything I need.
  6. Once I have them, I cut the labels all at once and lay them out and place what goes with each on each label.
  7. I package them all and fold the tops of the labels down so you can't see what I wrote.
  8. I then use my tape dispenser and pull off enough pieces for every package (I do this on my kitchen counter so I put them on the ends)
  9. Then I tape each package. Minifigures are the toughest as the packages are small and you have to get all the ends down (I use 4x8s). Sets are easy because I can just set the label on the them and apply the four pieces of tape.

I then bag everything up to go to the PO. On a normal night, the records and printing the labels take about 20 minutes for 20 packages. Picking them out from storage is 10 minutes. As far as taping and packaging, timing myself I find it takes me 30 minutes to do 20 packages (about 16 minifigures and 4 sets as is my usual).

Adding in the label printer affects several things.

1. Super fast printing. The 450 prints 51 a minute and you can get faster. My printer was pretty fast, but it didn't match this.
  2. Everything attached together. Why does this matter? ORGANIZATION! I write my records down in the order I print so... Everything lines up! Easy to go right down the list and tell what label is what. Also much cleaner. Sometimes papers start flying out of the printer.
  3. No ink. No refills except labels which are honestly about the same price of paper. Right now my cost per label is $.015.
  4. NOT LOUD. OMG loud printers piss me off.
  5. Really small. It is seriously like 4 inches by 8 inches. Will fit anywhere.

As for timing?

1. For the printing and categorizing labels, I cut 20 down to about 18 minutes from 20. 
  2. It doesn't help me pull them out of storage unfortunately.
  3. Packing and taping - NO MORE TAPING! I hate taping so much for so many reasons. I pull it off and stick it. 20 packages... 17 minutes!!! Insane cut in time.

So for me, it is saving me 15 minutes per 20 packages. Considering my usual time was about 1 hour - thats a 25% decrease. 

What did I pay for this beauty? 70$.

Just doing a bit of very rough math, lets say with an average of 10 packages per day over the next year, pulling out one day a week and guessing that I add two days of 10 packages to equal my control of 20 (although thats probably not quite true) then you are looking at:

(3 sets of 20 packages a week x 52 weeks x 15 minutes) / 60 minutes per hour

39 hours in a year this saved me. Assuming you would at least use this for a year, you spent $1.8 per hour to have this help you.

Worth it? Yes.

Dymo 450 Link

USPS compatible labels

Edit: The dymo has gone back up to $87. Watch and it may drop again.

• Like 5

That`s great to hear! Congrats on the dramatic savings in time. I`ll need to consider one of these for when I get selling in the future. So much easier as opposed to the older way of doing it. And really, the thing that caught my eye second to how much time this would save, is the price. It really isn`t that expensive if you are doing a solid amount of packages. If you had 10 orders a week I would say don`t bother, but when you`ve got as much as you do, definitely, no questions this is a handy and necessarily tool for optimum use. 40 hours a year may not seem like much to some, but that is a considerable amount of time when you think about adding it to the time already being spent labelling. Cutting down only makes things easier, more effective, and less stressful. Kudos  :thumbsup:

With any bumpy package (i.e, bubble mailer), always apply the label first and THEN fill the package. Regardless of whether you're cutting and taping a label or peeling and sticking a label, it makes things about 1 jillion times easier than trying to stick down the partying corners of labels over lumpy bubble-wrapped lego bundles.

With any bumpy package (i.e, bubble mailer), always apply the label first and THEN fill the package. Regardless of whether you're cutting and taping a label or peeling and sticking a label, it makes things about 1 jillion times easier than trying to stick down the partying corners of labels over lumpy bubble-wrapped lego bundles.

Yeah I misrepresented that. I definitely apply the label first. I learned that as well - very fast.

A couple of questions: 

1. Have you tried to print FedEx labels with it? If so, does it require lots of tweaking?

2. Is the adhesive of the label pretty strong? 

1. I haven't yet. That is a logical next step but since the majority of my stuff is USPS, I haven't dived in quite yet. I already print more International than FEDEX labels and so I already print out stuff fairly regularly from the printer. Have A LOT more stuff to do store wise before I get to it. I will definitely post about it when I do.

2. Its pretty strong. I have not had to try to pull one off to really tell, but it was down pretty good.

• Like 1

So the results are in! I bought a DYMO 450. Super easy to get going and set up with labels for USPS. I cannot believe I ever used a freaking printer. This thing is INSANE! I thought I could also give people a little insight into my methods too. Feel free to suggest your improvements!

So here are some starting points - I am all about efficiency when working so I do a lot of timing myself and taking statistics. So here you go:

• I ship an average of 12 things a weekday - about 20 for the full weekend or more. Most of these are minifigures and parted out sets or used sets I sell without the box. 
  • I use USPS for the majority of shipments obviously - first class.
  • My old Process is this:
  1. Look at Ebay and see what I have sold.
  2. As I multi-ship, I write down the purchases into my records along with the zip code.
  3. I then print all the labels
  4. Using my records, I write on the tops of the labels what goes in each
  5. I then make my way to my Lego storage - in a room in my house I have tons of drawers and shelving. I retrieve everything I need.
  6. Once I have them, I cut the labels all at once and lay them out and place what goes with each on each label.
  7. I package them all and fold the tops of the labels down so you can't see what I wrote.
  8. I then use my tape dispenser and pull off enough pieces for every package (I do this on my kitchen counter so I put them on the ends)
  9. Then I tape each package. Minifigures are the toughest as the packages are small and you have to get all the ends down (I use 4x8s). Sets are easy because I can just set the label on the them and apply the four pieces of tape.

I then bag everything up to go to the PO. On a normal night, the records and printing the labels take about 20 minutes for 20 packages. Picking them out from storage is 10 minutes. As far as taping and packaging, timing myself I find it takes me 30 minutes to do 20 packages (about 16 minifigures and 4 sets as is my usual).

Adding in the label printer affects several things.

1. Super fast printing. The 450 prints 51 a minute and you can get faster. My printer was pretty fast, but it didn't match this.
  2. Everything attached together. Why does this matter? ORGANIZATION! I write my records down in the order I print so... Everything lines up! Easy to go right down the list and tell what label is what. Also much cleaner. Sometimes papers start flying out of the printer.
  3. No ink. No refills except labels which are honestly about the same price of paper. Right now my cost per label is $.015.
  4. NOT LOUD. OMG loud printers piss me off.
  5. Really small. It is seriously like 4 inches by 8 inches. Will fit anywhere.

As for timing?

1. For the printing and categorizing labels, I cut 20 down to about 18 minutes from 20. 
  2. It doesn't help me pull them out of storage unfortunately.
  3. Packing and taping - NO MORE TAPING! I hate taping so much for so many reasons. I pull it off and stick it. 20 packages... 17 minutes!!! Insane cut in time.

So for me, it is saving me 15 minutes per 20 packages. Considering my usual time was about 1 hour - thats a 25% decrease. 

What did I pay for this beauty? 70$.

Just doing a bit of very rough math, lets say with an average of 10 packages per day over the next year, pulling out one day a week and guessing that I add two days of 10 packages to equal my control of 20 (although thats probably not quite true) then you are looking at:

(3 sets of 20 packages a week x 52 weeks x 15 minutes) / 60 minutes per hour

39 hours in a year this saved me. Assuming you would at least use this for a year, you spent $1.8 per hour to have this help you.

Worth it? Yes.

Dymo 450 Link

USPS compatible labels

Edit: The dymo has gone back up to $87. Watch and it may drop again.

Are you able to purchase labels with just the machine or do you need a separate stamps.com type of account?  Can you purchase postage for USPS that includes standard/parcel post? Thanks

I was reading reviews for this label printer, and unfortunately for Mac users, it sounds like it is not so Mac friendly after all.  It says it is compatible with PC and Mac, but the consensus is that is doesn't work with any Mac OS beyond 10.4.  Super disappointed!  I really wanted this!

Stephen Rockefeller: Insert snarky, anti-Apple comment here.  :D

Are you able to purchase labels with just the machine or do you need a separate stamps.com type of account?  Can you purchase postage for USPS that includes standard/parcel post? Thanks

You can print straight from ebay shipping, and you can print any type of labels that you can print at home (first class, priority, parcel post, etc)

Glad to hear you finally jumped on one DNIIM. Welcome to the future.

• Like 1

Does USPS not offer pickup services in your area? You have until 2AM to make/modify a pickup request to take place during your regular delivery. It's saved me a *lot* of trips to the post office. You have to have at least one Priority Mail package in the lot to qualify, but that is rarely an issue for me - and most of my non Priority Mail packages are small enough to fit in the mailbox anyway.

Thanks for the tip on the DYMO. I've been thinking about getting a label printer for a while, this pushed me over the edge. Just waiting for a good price now. D@)& Amazon resellers jacking up their prices LOL.

I've never understood the number of sellers around here who don't use Carrier Pickup. Everyone complaining about waiting in line at the post office is crazy.

1) Carrier Pickup

2) or if you just really like the post office, just walk to the front of the line and dump your already stamped packages on the counter and leave

• Like 1

Great post. Thanks for sharing this very informative information. I have a couple of questions. 1) What are the actual size of the labels printed? 2) You may not know the answer but hopefully others will. I've heard labels for Zebra Printers are less expensive? Does anyone know or is it enough difference to influence a printer buying decision at all?

I could not hack taping on labels from the very beginning but have been using the self-stick (2 labels per 8.5x11" size like THESE) these work great but I'm tired of buying so much ink. So, have been considering a thermal label printer. 

Thanks for the great info on this printer. Can you also print USPS international labels with it?

Also do you just use a normal printer for the packing slips or do you not sending packing slips?

Can you get free thermal labels for it from either usps or fed-ex (I currently get free labels from fedex for my laser printer) ?

TIA

Thanks for the great info on this printer. Can you also print USPS international labels with it?

Also do you just use a normal printer for the packing slips or do you not sending packing slips?

Can you get free thermal labels for it from either usps or fed-ex (I currently get free labels from fedex for my laser printer) ?

TIA

I haven't done FEDEX yet but I heard the laberls are free. USPS you have to buy them - but they are super cheap - like 2 cents per I think.

I don't do packing slips. I honestly don't think there are too many buyers that really care about them so I just don't worry about it. Maybe thats a mistake but the extra time seems like its not worth it.

If they want to see what they paid for it, they can log onto Ebay in 3 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having gone down the Dymo 450 route for my ebay sales, for some reason once I change my printer pref's in ebay all my labels appear in landscape mode instead of portrait.  Anyone else experience this or have a way to fix this(OS X Lion)?

I just hooked mine up tonight with my Mac running OSX 10.8.5.  Had to download a pdf postscript printer, CUPS-PDF, to print it to a pdf from the JAVA interface on eBay.  I got both portrait and landscape when creating my pdf's.  Just had to alter the page setup on an individual basis for the pdf's.  A lot more hassle than I was hoping for.