Which set has made you the most $ so far...

I have been reselling LEGO on a much smaller scale than most of you, though I did start dabbling in it about 3-4 years ago.  I think my biggest return in total was from the Harry Potter Burrow set.  I snagged about 18 sets right after Christmas the year they were clearanced for $30 (50% off).  I had no patience and sold them a few months later for about $70-$80 each.  In hindsight I should have kept them a little longer, but I don't have the space or funds to hold onto much for 2-3 years to maximize my profit.  Most of my inventory is in what I can flip within a shorter window (6-12 months) and reinvest the capital.

Not a bad thing at all. I'm sure if you invest wisely, you could reach the same results from reinvesting as you would if you held out for another year or two. Sometimes it works out just fine )

only been doing this for a little over 6 months ... was able to score DINO 5882 for $2 ea ... sold all of what i had for about $27-$30 ea ...

next would be the just recently retired apple tree house ... got about 40 of them for $14 ea ... selling them upwards of $70 ea ...

I haven't really started selling sets yet...but I did flip a SW malevolene I got at half off canadian MSRP and made $50 from it, so I guess that is the best one so far lol. Also flipped a HP set I bought on Craigslist at $100 for $160, which was one of the very first sets I bought when I started investing.

Guest betsy805

Have been at it a year as of tomorrow.  Biggest flip was a Market street (bought for $70, sold for $1500).  Also made good money at Christmas flipping funhouses and Captain America's.  

Guest TabbyBoy

I haven't really started selling sets yet...but I did flip a SW malevolene I got at half off canadian MSRP and made $50 from it, so I guess that is the best one so far lol. Also flipped a HP set I bought on Craigslist at $100 for $160, which was one of the very first sets I bought when I started investing.

I have 10x Malevolences (my worst set ever!) that I bought at 40% off (

Have been at it a year as of tomorrow.  Biggest flip was a Market street (bought for $70, sold for $1500).  Also made good money at Christmas flipping funhouses and Captain America's.  

Congrats on your 1yr tomorrow :)  Awesome flip on the Market Street...I'm a small time investor/flipper so can't imagine a +$1000 profit margin! 

Have been at it a year as of tomorrow. Biggest flip was a Market street (bought for $70, sold for $1500). Also made good money at Christmas flipping funhouses and Captain America's.

How did find someone who would sell it to you for $70 that's insane but great job

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Guest betsy805

How did find someone who would sell it to you for $70 that's insane but great job

Someone posted a garage sale they were going to have and listed that as one of the items along with a big bin of bulk lego.  Emailed and asked if they'd be willing to sell to me before the actual garage sale and they said yes.  My heart was racing the whole way to their house!

Someone posted a garage sale they were going to have and listed that as one of the items along with a big bin of bulk lego. Emailed and asked if they'd be willing to sell to me before the actual garage sale and they said yes. My heart was racing the whole way to their house!

Way to keep your eyes open and watch for deals

Bought 4 Star Wars UCS sets on eBay for $600. One of them was a MF 10179. They needed a lot of TLC so I had to order about $650 worth of parts. I made enough money on three of the UCS sets ($1300) to make the MF absolutely free. Just sold it for $1600.

How long did you have to spend sorting through them and ordering part?

Guest eightbrick

Haven't sold anything yet but by Brickpicker values from my Brickfolio:

Highest % return are my six 7473 Steel Sprinter Vs. Mutant Lizard that are at over 300% (bought for 5.77 each worth about 25)

Highest $ return are my two 10229 winter village cottages (each bought for 65) $140 "profit" (up 107% from what I paid)

My best sale?

Free VW Polybag I got with my lego order back in what was it, October 2013? Sold it for about a 100$. Not bad for a polybag and I wasn't expecting a bid war on it.

Second best sale, 2 Sungnyemuns, bought for around 28$, sold on for 70$, the other for 95$.

And finally, 2 Blackpearls, bought each for 99

It seems from this thread that not very many people have sold substantial amounts of lego for substantial amounts of money.  It will be interesting to read a thread like this in 2 years time once many of the sets we all bought over the last two years will have been retired for a little bit.

It seems from this thread that not very many people have sold substantial amounts of lego for substantial amounts of money. It will be interesting to read a thread like this in 2 years time once many of the sets we all bought over the last two years will have been retired for a little bit.

Yeah I'm interested to see how long people can hold out while they keep buying. Getting started is always the hardest part.