Which set has made you the most $ so far...

Whether you sold one rare set for crazy net profit or flipped +50 of the same set and still counting...which Lego set has been most profitable overall for you?  Total net cash accumulated.  Not including polybags. 

I'm only approaching yr 1 in investing so my inventory/transaction history is rather short, so for me it would have to be the Technic Exculsive Crawler (followed by the Hulk Helicarrier Break out which is gaining fast). 

Seems like a slow day on the forums (and bored at work haha), curious which sets other people cashed/cashing in on...money makers.  Lets see if there are surprises...             

Bored at work...haha, imagine that.  :)  Believe it or not, my most profitable set overall so far has been 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown.  I have bought and sold that set over 100 times and made a decent amount of money doing so.  I still have ten sealed copies left, and they are currently worth about triple what I paid.  I love those $20 sets!

I hit one year investing couple days ago. Haven't sold yet but here are a few of the sets I own that I am looking forward to some nice future gains. Most bought way below MSRP with BOGOs and sales/clearance/coupons:

1. 10212 Shuttles
  2. 10221 SSDs
  3. 8043 Excavators
  4. 41999 LE Crawlers
  5. 9476 Orc Forges
  6. 'NY I Love" Yoda minifigure from TRU Times Square event (Promo sleeve on X-Wing box)

These are my big hitters, fingers crossed, besides some HP and MF sets.

Bored at work to lol, dreaming of LEGO.

For me, my best money maker was the 4 Dolphin Cruisers I sold around Christmas, but mostly only because I got an unbelievable deal on them - $20 each (x4) in the clearance aisle at a really depressing Walmart, only about 3 weeks after they were released! They did all have a large letter "D" written on the bottom of each box, which I assume meant "damaged", but other than that the boxes were all in perfect condition. Made about $70 profit each after fees and shipping. 

I should note, I haven't been doing this very long, and only recently have started selling NIB sets. I hope to have much more stories like this once my arsenal of Super Heroes, LOTR and Friends sets really start appreciating.

-PB

Bored at work...haha, imagine that.  :)  Believe it or not, my most profitable set overall so far has been 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown.  I have bought and sold that set over 100 times and made a decent amount of money doing so.  I still have ten sealed copies left, and they are currently worth about triple what I paid.  I love those $20 sets!

Awesome.  That is some crazy stock/inventory you had (100 of the same set)...but you pick the right one to load up on.   

That set is selling well for me too lately.  Good value for $20 retail.  Can't believe buyers are paying +$50 so soon already.  I hope the other $20ish superheros sets (spiderman, cube) will follow but have a feeling they won't.  the Cube chase is kinda boring and no exclusive figs.  The Spiderman one has a better chance imo. 

My most successful set has been the 6868 Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout.  I was able to get seven of them at $35 dollars.

Yeah, for me...I ran out of original stock purchased on sale...so managed to purchased more at regular retail price (just in time inventory!) and still made decent profit flipping it for $100 or more.  I'll take 35%-40% ROI anyday.

Bored at work to lol, dreaming of LEGO.

For me, my best money maker was the 4 Dolphin Cruisers I sold around Christmas, but mostly only because I got an unbelievable deal on them - $20 each (x4) in the clearance aisle at a really depressing Walmart, only about 3 weeks after they were released! They did all have a large letter "D" written on the bottom of each box, which I assume meant "damaged", but other than that the boxes were all in perfect condition. Made about $70 profit each after fees and shipping. 

I should note, I haven't been doing this very long, and only recently have started selling NIB sets. I hope to have much more stories like this once my arsenal of Super Heroes, LOTR and Friends sets really start appreciating.

-PB

Lucky you.  A crazy/great sale price will always help the profit margin.  Always nice to have one of these stories near you that is not popular.       

Star Wars Imperial Shuttle #7624 for me. Kind of what got me started in investing heavier into Lego sets. Amazon had a Buy-2-get-1-free deal years ago. I think I would up with around 35 of them. Started selling them in the $160 range but kept rising to $215 area at the time. Have two left that will be listed eventually.

10179's gotta be the one for single set profit if you go by per set amount. Had 11 that I bought for between $250(1) and $407(10), started selling too early, so a couple sold at $1200, then 1400, then 1800. Still have 3 left though.

You just can't get caught up in the "if I still had it" anxiety. Just think about it that you were able to either enjoy or reinvest those funds into something else that continued your investment.

Probably a few others that have the same ballpark rate, but haven't started selling yet. GG's, Flagships, Emerald Nights, etc.

• Like 2

Star Wars Imperial Shuttle #7624 for me. Kind of what got me started in investing heavier into Lego sets. Amazon had a Buy-2-get-1-free deal years ago. I think I would up with around 35 of them. Started selling them in the $160 range but kept rising to $215 area at the time. Have two left that will be listed eventually.

10179's gotta be the one for single set profit if you go by per set amount. Had 11 that I bought for between $250(1) and $407(10), started selling too early, so a couple sold at $1200, then 1400, then 1800. Still have 3 left though.

You just can't get caught up in the "if I still had it" anxiety. Just think about it that you were able to either enjoy or reinvest those funds into something else that continued your investment.

Probably a few others that have the same ballpark rate, but haven't started selling yet. GG's, Flagships, Emerald Nights, etc.

Still holding UCS MF's, GG's, Flagships and EN's? I must commend you on your patience, sir...very nice!

I have been reselling LEGO on a much smaller scale than most of you, though I did start dabbling in it about 3-4 years ago.  I think my biggest return in total was from the Harry Potter Burrow set.  I snagged about 18 sets right after Christmas the year they were clearanced for $30 (50% off).  I had no patience and sold them a few months later for about $70-$80 each.  In hindsight I should have kept them a little longer, but I don't have the space or funds to hold onto much for 2-3 years to maximize my profit.  Most of my inventory is in what I can flip within a shorter window (6-12 months) and reinvest the capital.