Castle 2013

TheOrcKing

I wonder how these are selling. Maybe poor sales due to uninspired builds are leading to lack of interest to review. Seems like a train wreck of a theme in my area. Kids hover around Chima, City, and Star Wars, but these sets linger in my local area. I wonder what happened, when I was a youngster, Castle was the thing. But it might be more that the sets are crappy than it is that kids are over the medieval stuff.  

Well, the cartoons based on Chima and Ninjago are making the impact I think.  I prefer the Castle theme (in general, but not the current one for now), and I think it works great with classic fairy tales and novels like Ivenhoe or even Romeo and Juliet.  Or even some real historical events and figures/names.  So it's my responsibility to help my kid with the stories for Castle sets :)  Not as easy as putting him/her in front of the TV to watch those cartoons I bet...

I currently have sets 70400, 401, 402 and 403. The value is there. Not great but not bad. I live in Canada so the sets lose value a little bit. Maybe in 10 years I'll see it. Anyway, so far I really like the sets. Adding 70403 has really spiced up the whole look. I'd upload some pics but I can't seem to be able to upload any to my profile. Is that not possible?

So far I give the series a strong 8.5.

• 1 month later...

I've been building a collection of Kingdoms sets but the Castle Market Village fits in there so nicely. I like the Kingdoms sets better than the new Castle theme but I think I'll be adding all of those sets to my collection as well (why not right?). The Mill Village Raid, Chess set and Kingdom's Joust sets are amazing. I've still got to find a King's Castle to round out my Kingdom's collection.

What are you willing to spend?  I've got one 7946 NISB that I might be willing to part with.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lego has two new castle accessory sets. One evil and one good. Kind of expensive since it's basically 4 minifigs for $15 but each set does come with one figure with full armor which is nice but not really worth the extra money when compared to the $11.99 set that has been on sale for ~$8-$9.

Lego has two new castle accessory sets. One evil and one good. Kind of expensive since it's basically 4 minifigs for $15 but each set does come with one figure with full armor which is nice but not really worth the extra money when compared to the $11.99 set that has been on sale for ~$8-$9.

Thanks for the tip as I did not even know about those. Well, I took a quick look and each case appears to have the same characters you would get with Forest Ambush and The Gatehouse Raid. Plus the price for a single one of those accessory packs is basically like paying $3.75 per minifigure. I don't know about you but I rather have the sets with minifigures and parts.

Thanks for the tip as I did not even know about those. Well, I took a quick look and each case appears to have the same characters you would get with Forest Ambush and The Gatehouse Raid. Plus the price for a single one of those accessory packs is basically like paying $3.75 per minifigure. I don't know about you but I rather have the sets with minifigures and parts.

I am hoping the accessory sets go on sale for 50% off so I can buy a ton of them. I have like 6 forest ambush sets but I was too cheap to buy more gatehouse raids... The gatehouse raid even has a horse!

I am hoping the accessory sets go on sale for 50% off so I can buy a ton of them.

So would I, if anything just for the knights.

I have like 6 forest ambush sets but I was too cheap to buy more gatehouse raids... The gatehouse raid even has a horse!

Haha, that it does. Plus knights for both sides as well as a few good pieces. I would snag enough of that set at a good discount for two large armies and a huge fortress. :paladin:

• 6 months later...

Really? That would be awesome as i think they have great potential in the next year or two especially dragon mountain. Many could be found 30-50 off so. Waiting for some walmarts to go from 30 to 50 or more off to wipe out what they have.

Well, I was pretty much referring to the King's Castle.  Some of the other sets may stick around past then.

Really? That would be awesome as i think they have great potential in the next year or two especially dragon mountain. Many could be found 30-50 off so. Waiting for some walmarts to go from 30 to 50 or more off to wipe out what they have.

IMO dragon mountain will be a bust with the release of the new Hobbit set with smaug which is basically an identical red dragon.

IMO dragon mountain will be a bust with the release of the new Hobbit set with smaug which is basically an identical red dragon.

I respectfully disagree.  Smaller price point so possibly better ROI.  It's an inferior dragon, but it's still a dragon.  I wish I had more but I hesitated during the last Amazon BOGO offer.