10229 - Winter Village Cottage

Ed Mack

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This set, it's something I'm interested in but has largely been off my radar - mainly because I'm sort of uneducated in the winter theme sets. Does this set normally go on "sale" anywhere? I'm able to get this for 5% off MSRP, no shipping/tax costs (Amazon). Should I go for it, or will I probably be able to score one at a better price later on (based on previous experiences others had with Winter themed sets)? Thanks in advance!

First of all, in general winter village sets go on sale 20% at Lego Stores just after the holidays and they are trying to clear out their inventory. It has been rumored a few times that this set is already EOL, but I am bit doubtful of that. If it already is EOL, than even retail isn't too bad to be paying for this set. My recommendation would be to grab one now from amazon with no tax/free shipping since that already isn't very bad for a set with such limited availability.

First of all, in general winter village sets go on sale 20% at Lego Stores just after the holidays and they are trying to clear out their inventory. It has been rumored a few times that this set is already EOL, but I am bit doubtful of that. If it already is EOL, than even retail isn't too bad to be paying for this set. My recommendation would be to grab one now from amazon with no tax/free shipping since that already isn't very bad for a set with such limited availability.

Thanks! Was thinking of buying 2 (one would be for investing, another building) but w/what you said, I decided to balance it out and buy just one instead, and hope to score 2nd one at least 20% off after next holiday season. If the ship has sailed, then no biggie, I'll still build it and sell it as used one day if I decide to sell it off.

Update: Bought it for $38, due to $42 from Amazon Reward points applied, plus $14 leftover gift card balance.

Since they release a new one each year (2009-2012), I have found it is a crap shoot after the holidays, especially for anything MIB, as most stuff thrown into the "reduced" pile is typically damaged boxes. I have all 4 of the bigger sets (10199, 10216, 10222 & 10229) and figure with that pattern, that a new 5th set will be released around November for the 2013 season. Something like a church or a town square would be a nice addition. Another cool idea would be to release a parts package to be able to "winterize" other sets like the City modulars (emporium, fire brigade, town hall, cinema, etc) or the MMV type sets for a more rustic look. Instructions to remove and replace roof and window sills with white bricks for the covered in snow effect and a few pieces to "decorate" such as wreaths and string lights. Just a thought.

This year is going to be a market for the village theme. As for the crap shoot, if you go through a few Lego stores after the Holidays, you should find them MIB. I have seen literally stacks and stacks of them on sale for 20% off afterwards at just about every Lego store I've gone to. That is the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Columbus, and all three Chicago area stores. Sometimes one won't have them on sale just because they never order enough and ran out in the Holidays but they are always eager to get rid of them if they do have extras lying around.

I think it`s a great set. I stumbled across some at my Lego store for 1/2 off ($64.99 each), and ended up buying 6. Being the largest of the winter theme so far gives it a little extra push if you know what I mean. Lovely set, and I`ll likely end up opening one come Christmas time.

• 9 months later...

Holy crap, I just checked this and the latest sold items are going for at least 35% over MSRP in the US and nearly 20% on the not-so-WV-loving EU market.

Did the EOL-ing (potentially) halfway in December catch a lot of people with their pants down?

I could grab 3 more of these at retail price... Decisions, decisions...

• 3 weeks later...