10229 - Winter Village Cottage

Ed Mack

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I was at the Lego Store at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. I tried to talk the manager down to $50/set, but he wouldn't budge (figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. i would have bought them all if he did). I picked up 3 at $70 each. Still a great price. There were still about 5 left when I left a few hours ago. Have at them!

I was at the Lego Store at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. I tried to talk the manager down to $50/set, but he wouldn't budge (figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. i would have bought them all if he did). I picked up 3 at $70 each. Still a great price. There were still about 5 left when I left a few hours ago. Have at them!

amazon still has it for 100$..is it worth buying at this price and has this set retired?

the Lego store isn't a flea market man.........the price is the price!!!

• 1 month later...

It is a Winter themed set so it usually appears right around November. Its sort of an annual thing...

This is exactly right. Winter themed sets typically get released (and older winter sets usually re-released) around late October, and then remain available through the holiday season, and sometimes a little after. In order to acquire 10229 right now, your best bet is to look on eBay or Amazon. Otherwise it should be available again on the Lego website or in Lego stores this fall.

The Winter Post Office being retired has spooked people. Expect to see the Bakeries and Cottages moving a bit quicker than usual for this time of year

Yeah this was really crazy and totally unpredictable, just goes to show TLG knows how to keep collectors and investors like ourselves on our toes ;)

Exactly Rich. I sold off a heap of Bakeries at Christmas time as per usual but trying to get them back in is proving harder than I imagined due to the prices having risen, eating into the profits of my selling. My plan was this time around to stock up on the Post Offices. I have 1 and that is for my own collection. Saying that, I better go make sure I do still have one!

I only have a couple of Post Offices, I was banking on picking more up later this year like you were, but it looks like that might not be possible. I think a lot of people are in the same boat we're in and won't have near as many Post offices hoarded away. I still have some bakeries, I'm anxious to sell them now as they are already doing great, but I will regret doing so if they end up not returning later this year as well, since if this happens they will most likely continue to increase in value even more. There is only so much we can speculate though, only time is going to tell unfortunately lol

Yeah this was really crazy and totally unpredictable, just goes to show TLG knows how to keep collectors and investors like ourselves on our toes ;)

How about the Live Star? ;)

I have new top secret information regarding its EOL date...............December 2030 LOLLL ;)

Do they usually release a new set each winter in addition to the re-releases?

Correct, a new set is typically released each year and the set from the previous year is usually available as well. Sometimes the set from two years ago is available, but not always. Last year (2012) both the 2011 Post Office and (2010) Bakery were both still available. It looks like the Post Office and possibly also the Bakery may both be retired now though (we're all still trying to guess at this), so these two sets might not be around later this year. This year I would definitely expect to see the 2012 set, which was the Cottage, as well as a new set.