Will my sets lose value?

I open and display many of my Lego sets (Modular Buildings, UCS Ships).  Most of these sets have been built and displayed for just over a year.

I'm worrying that keeping them built for a prolonged period of time might damage their clutch power and make them much looser, thus reducing their value in the long term.

I recently picked up a 10179 that was never broken down and just thrown in a bin in one piece for about 5 years.  I spent a month breaking it down and rebuilding it, and most of it (Plates, large bricks) were still snug while building, but a lot of smaller 1 and 2-stud pieces would fall off if I held the set upside down and shook :(

I'm only concerned because I don't want some of my favorite sets (Imperial Shuttle, Fire Brigade) to suffer a similar fate.  

Has anyone on here experienced a loss of clutch power?  If so, do you have any tips/tricks that you use to maintain the bricks quality over the years?  Is there an optimal amount of time that you should display before those wonderful little bricks start to stretch?

I'm very close to breaking a bunch of my sets down, but don't want to destroy my awesome display shelves...help!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

good ?  the 10179 is freak'****** heavy.  hard to pick up one handed to fly around.  I'm guessing its a matter of weight displacement more so then time for most set.  the modulars should be fine being up for a long period of time

The only time when I've had the clutch power loosen on a LEGO set was when the pieces were cracked.  If they aren't cracked, you shouldn't worry too much.  A while back I got the Green Grocer (while it was still available for retail price) and built it.  I eventually thought of all the great things I could create with the pieces and took it apart and built a few houses.  About a year later at Christmas, I was expecting to receive another modular and wanted to put them together, so I built it again.  I never had the pieces lose clutch power, and it is currently being displayed with all my other modulars.  As long as you have your sets out of direct sunlight and do not get your pieces dirty, than I would not worry about damage to the set.

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

we have had the falcon on display for over two years now and have decided it's time to take apart ,wash and then rebuild.  won't be untill the end of the month but I'll let you (p8nt4lyfe) know if there are any issues.