The LEGO Stores' Lenient Return Policy

Mos_Eisley

I doubt they see it this way. It's additional inventory, often dated, that they now have to get rid of. It's not a blessing for them at all.

Theres always more of an advantage to them for allowing exchange than there are disadvatange. Otherwise, lego won't not allow it.

If they have too much of a product, they can always transfer it to another store so having too many isn't a problem in the retail business. Its when your shelves are empty that cause the problem.

I posted about this a month ago and I got crucified. While I see numerous posts about people asking for old screenshots on a product from Kmart that is out of stock and sold out and they try to show to TRU or Target and get a price match from salespeople who don't know any better. Lots of people bypass Lego rules by buying more than 2 41999 Crawlers and etc. I'm not here to judge others on how people get their discounts or quantities of products. I'm sure a lot of people on this site get their Lego's 100% legitimately from sales and clearance and etc. But I'm sure there a lot of people here are quote un quote "immoral" by some peoples Lego's standards. Who cares how people are getting Lego, bottom line we are here to make money. Outright stealing is obviously not right but if Lego stores allows for any return without a receipt, that's their issue, not our moral issue.

True. People will do anything. I am not here to judge anyone. I have to right to judge anyone here.

At the end its up to lego to do the adjustment. I remember a few years back, you can return an item and get a gift card but now you can only do exchange. Who knows, maybe in the further you can't do any exchange without a receipt.

Let me ask you guys a question. For those that say its morally wrong to exchange something you got for 50% off for a new product at the lego store.

Well, is it morally wrong for you to sell something you brought for 50% off to someone for 2x the price? You can say NO but I am sure there are people who think the opposite of you.

Let me ask you guys a question. For those that say its morally wrong to exchange something you got for 50% off for a new product at the lego store.

Well, is it morally wrong for you to sell something you brought for 50% off to someone for 2x the price? You can say NO but I am sure there are people who think the opposite of you.

Those things aren't even close to the same thing, but you seem pretty intent on your stance so I won't bother picking it apart.

Yea, you're returning clearance crap for a hot new set. I'm sure they think it's awesome. It's interesting how people can rationalize just about anything.

To be fair, not all clearance is crap or else you wouldn't have posted pictures of the sets you scored (jealous because my clearance has been ass). Some of it may sell immediately at retail - like a batcave.

But your point is valid. And I don't want anything to think I was rationalizing it. I wouldn't do it. Just do see from Legos point of view it may not be as bad - even trade for them. How often does the Lego store have to clearance something to 75% off?

I posted about this a month ago and I got crucified.  While I see numerous posts about people asking for old screenshots on a product from Kmart that is out of stock and sold out and they try to show to TRU or Target and get a price match from salespeople who don't know any better.  Lots of people bypass Lego rules by buying more than 2 41999 Crawlers and etc.  I'm not here to judge others on how people get their discounts or quantities of products.  I'm sure a lot of people on this site get their Lego's 100% legitimately from sales and clearance and etc.  But I'm sure there a lot of people here are quote un quote "immoral" by some peoples Lego's standards.  Who cares how people are getting Lego, bottom line we are here to make money.  Outright stealing is obviously not right but if Lego stores allows for any return without a receipt, that's their issue, not our moral issue. 

Just not the same thing. Whatever moral thoguhts about it - selling something for market value when the value has risen is not the same thing. Houses generally appreciate in value. Also there is this magnificent thing called Inflation. So there are reasons things are worth more later on and its justify-able. If everything was sold at retail after it became scarce - it would be even more so. In fast, things HAVE to be sold at a higher amount. Its the way economics work.

As far as returning stuff you bought for less and getting something for more - Its just shady. Its not being an entrepreneur or being clever, its a form of theft. Just like buying something at one walmart on clearance and returning it at another that sells it for more. 

Yes, cash is not changing hands so its not straight up as bad, but I don't think that is the intention of the rule. And I think if you asked a Lego employee, they would tell you thats not allowed.

• Like 1

You just can`t....compare the two....there is no....no...way to do that??  :resent:  :blink:

Just not the same thing. Whatever moral thoguhts about it - selling something for market value when the value has risen is not the same thing. Houses generally appreciate in value. Also there is this magnificent thing called Inflation. So there are reasons things are worth more later on and its justify-able. If everything was sold at retail after it became scarce - it would be even more so. In fast, things HAVE to be sold at a higher amount. Its the way economics work.

As far as returning stuff you bought for less and getting something for more - Its just shady. Its not being an entrepreneur or being clever, its a form of theft. Just like buying something at one walmart on clearance and returning it at another that sells it for more. 

Yes, cash is not changing hands so its not straight up as bad, but I don't think that is the intention of the rule. And I think if you asked a Lego employee, they would tell you thats not allowed.

That about puts the above argument to rest. 

To be fair, not all clearance is crap or else you wouldn't have posted pictures of the sets you scored (jealous because my clearance has been ass). Some of it may sell immediately at retail - like a batcave.

But your point is valid. And I don't want anything to think I was rationalizing it. I wouldn't do it. Just do see from Legos point of view it may not be as bad - even trade for them. How often does the Lego store have to clearance something to 75% off?

But buying out inventory on Dolphin Cruisers and selling to helpless Dad's before Xmas for $100 is not morally wrong?

Using Barnes and Noble 30% off coupons on Star Wars Exclusives even though the coupon clearly says not eligible for these not morally wrong?  

Lego stores don't care if you bought at Walmart for 99 cents.  They'll take it back no question as long as it is sealed and give you exchange for whatever amount they are selling it for.  

This is so stupid people judging things as morally wrong

I know there's good clearance stuff. But that's not generally the stuff people are pulling this with. If they can easily sell it on ebay I'm sure they do that as a first option. I just saw this happen yesterday. Dude returned two sets that are all over the target clearances right now. Walked in with a Target bag and everything. I knew they were clearance items, the employees knew, but there was nothing they could do about it, for now, and they certainly don't like it. The return policy doesn't exist so that "ingenious" entrepreneurs can take advantage of it. They don't want to trade two slow moving sets for a Parisian Restaurant.
  • Like 2

But buying out inventory on Dolphin Cruisers and selling to helpless Dad's before Xmas for $100 is not morally wrong?

Using Barnes and Noble 30% off coupons on Star Wars Exclusives even though the coupon clearly says not eligible for these not morally wrong?  

Lego stores don't care if you bought at Walmart for 99 cents.  They'll take it back no question as long as it is sealed and give you exchange for whatever amount they are selling it for.  

says the person justifying a form of theft. 

The first is not really - again, its called market value. If you don't understand this, then I think you might have more problems than any of us can really help with. There are definitely levels - I particularly don't like buying stuff on pre-order and reselling it for a ton (over what you are technically allowed per person - If I get my one copy and want to sell it, thats fine - get 20 and sell, probably not).

Selling something at christmas when the market value is higher just makes sense. And you aren't forcing anyone to do it. I bought several Dolphin Cruisers - I sold a ton of them and actually had several people tell me they were happy I was selling them as they were gone everywhere. 

Not the same as cheating a company to make money. You will NEVER be able to justify it and the fact you are fighting it so hard shows you are trying to justify it to yourself. The upside is that you have a moral compass somewhere in your body. The downside is that you are ignoring it and making asinine comments like comparing it to selling something for market value. That's the only stupid thing happening right now.

I do it to - I have made mistakes, done something I shouldn't have, and then defended it. However, I admit to myself shortly after that it was wrong. Give it a try.

• Like 1

Here's a quick little something on the topic. I know it's Wikipedia, but it covers the points. If people really think this kind of activity is harmless, they're wrong.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud

Actually a good point and made me think of it (by the way I think Wikipedia has become as close to credible as it can be):

My Lego store does not resell stuff thats returned at full price ever. They keep it in the back (its a small store) and if you ask for something they don't have out, they will offer it to you at a big discount. I talked to the manager about this.

I actually bought a WVC that was a return where the box is beat up. They allow returns of merchandise from other places as well even if it is slightly damaged. They never sell it as new again.

says the person justifying a form of theft. 

The first is not really - again, its called market value. If you don't understand this, then I think you might have more problems than any of us can really help with. There are definitely levels - I particularly don't like buying stuff on pre-order and reselling it for a ton (over what you are technically allowed per person - If I get my one copy and want to sell it, thats fine - get 20 and sell, probably not).

Selling something at christmas when the market value is higher just makes sense. And you aren't forcing anyone to do it. I bought several Dolphin Cruisers - I sold a ton of them and actually had several people tell me they were happy I was selling them as they were gone everywhere. 

Not the same as cheating a company to make money. You will NEVER be able to justify it and the fact you are fighting it so hard shows you are trying to justify it to yourself. The upside is that you have a moral compass somewhere in your body. The downside is that you are ignoring it and making asinine comments like comparing it to selling something for market value. That's the only stupid thing happening right now.

I do it to - I have made mistakes, done something I shouldn't have, and then defended it. However, I admit to myself shortly after that it was wrong. Give it a try.

feel free to have the last comments on this, cause this entire argument, justification, defense or whatever is again stupid.  Won't bother responding anymore after this.  

Of course yes when a Lego is purchased for less at another retailer and then returned to Lego store for a higher value is wrong.  My point is also using Barnes and Noble coupons for exclusives is wrong.  Using old screenshots of Kmart out of stock products to get price match is wrong.  

Again I don't judge how people are getting their discounts and calling them immoral.  But of course you get too since you are the almighty and so wise and I don't understand market value and etc etc.  Yes I'm going to hell or wherever because the act of returning stuff to Lego stores is the only immoral activity of all the other activities that are going on here.  

Was never defending this buddy.  Was just pointing out how only this activity is being judged morally wrong.  

I would never take a Lego set to Lego store without receipt, period.

However, to return and then re-purchase a set with original receipt, I really don't see anything wrong with it. 

I actually had a really bad experience at Lego store last week trying to PM a Winter Village Cottage set that I bought.  Basically I paid $99 for WVC at a Lego store, and then tried to PM it for $79 clearance price.   I brought the set with me to the store along with a receipt.  The cashier gave me all different kinds of excuse try not to do PM.  First, she told me the company policy doesn't allow PM, so I told her that's fine I will return it and re-purchase it.  She then told me no, because that would be same as doing price matching.  I told her when I talked with a customer rep over the phone, the rep said I could return it and re-purchase with the current sale price as long as I have a receipt.  The cashier then told me I can return it, but she would have to bring the set to the backroom and can't sell to me until the store manager shows up, (this is where got me upset...).  We both argued for over 10 minutes, and eventually she said she would let me re-purchase it, but she would have to take away the holiday PaB box from me because the promotion period was over. We then argued again for over 5 minutes.   Eventually she let me have the PaB box back.   I think it's because there were a lot of visitors at the store at that time and she didn't want it to ruin her (or store's) image.

feel free to have the last comments on this, cause this entire argument, justification, defense or whatever is again stupid.  Won't bother responding anymore after this.  

Of course yes when a Lego is purchased for less at another retailer and then returned to Lego store for a higher value is wrong.  My point is also using Barnes and Noble coupons for exclusives is wrong.  Using old screenshots of Kmart out of stock products to get price match is wrong.  

Again I don't judge how people are getting their discounts and calling them immoral.  But of course you get too since you are the almighty and so wise and I don't understand market value and etc etc.  Yes I'm going to hell or wherever because the act of returning stuff to Lego stores is the only immoral activity of all the other activities that are going on here.  

Was never defending this buddy.  Was just pointing out how only this activity is being judged morally wrong.  

You did defend it. I can quote all your posts. I am not being high and mighty - nor did I disagree with the coupon use or the other stuff. Not what we are talking about.

You compared it to selling something for more than what it used to be worth. I refuted that completely.

I know there's good clearance stuff. But that's not generally the stuff people are pulling this with. If they can easily sell it on ebay I'm sure they do that as a first option. I just saw this happen yesterday. Dude returned two sets that are all over the target clearances right now. Walked in with a Target bag and everything. I knew they were clearance items, the employees knew, but there was nothing they could do about it, for now, and they certainly don't like it. The return policy doesn't exist so that "ingenious" entrepreneurs can take advantage of it. They don't want to trade two slow moving sets for a Parisian Restaurant.

Agreed - to be clear, Lego loses money on any set that's a return from another store. Simply put, they sell the set at wholesale to big box retailer, and then have to buy it back at retail to the conniving reseller. This will always be a loss to Lego.

Lego stores don't care if you bought at Walmart for 99 cents. They'll take it back no question as long as it is sealed and give you exchange for whatever amount they are selling it for.

How is it stupid to judge this as wrong? By returning these sets, someone is profiting from taking advantage of a policy Lego has in place to provide a convenience (in some instances at a significant cost to Lego) to customers. No rational person could ever think Lego is in business to lose money on an item for no reason, so by returning a clearance set the returner is quite clearly cheating the company.

Also, pointing out other questionable instances that some users have admitted to/bragged about doesn't make this any better or less questionable. And reselling a set to another person at a significant mark up is nothing close to cheating. These resellers are providing a service for a price that a buyer is willingly paying. I don't have any idea how you can think that is somehow wrong or immoral - no one is forcing the buyer to pay for this service.

All I have to say is buying clearance sets at Target or Walmart and returning to Lego is WRONG, flat out WRONG!!  However buying something at discount and selling at double or triple retail is not wrong in my opinion.  If I buy a set at 20% off and sit on that set for 2 years and sell it for double, I am the one taking the risk, waiting it out, paying for storage fees, etc.  It's the same concept as used car lots or stocks, buy low, wait awhile and hold the product, then hopefully sell for a profit.  There is a big difference here people!

• Like 5

All I have to say is buying clearance sets at Target or Walmart and returning to Lego is WRONG, flat out WRONG!!  However buying something at discount and selling at double or triple retail is not wrong in my opinion.  If I buy a set at 20% off and sit on that set for 2 years and sell it for double, I am the one taking the risk, waiting it out, paying for storage fees, etc.  It's the same concept as used car lots or stocks, buy low, wait awhile and hold the product, then hopefully sell for a profit.  There is a big difference here people!

HERE HERE well said.

Buying on discount or at full RRP for that matter and selling on Ebay for a higher price later is a straight forward business process - ie reselling.

However buying something on clearance for say $50 taking it straight to a Lego store and asking for  the full RRP of $100 back just to make a profit is immoral  - if it is not illegal. Of course morality is subjective. Tax evasion is illegal, Tax avoidance is legal, but seen by some as immoral.

What I find strange is that Lego seem to have this silly policy that costs them money, but would ban people who spend $2k on their sets in a short period of time. Something that makes them money.

Firsr I wanr to say. I totally agree that its morally wrong to buy at clearance or at sale price and returning it to another store for full retail value.

Doesnt matter if you buy from Lego store and returning it to toys r us (city garage that's on sale at the lego store) or buying from target and returning it to the lego store (set 60008 at 50% off at Target). Its both morally wrong.

Although theres nothing they can do if you exchange a clearance or sale item, I would NOT recommend anyone doing this.

So its morally wrong if I buy lego set 60008 at target for 50% off and return it to the lego for full credit, but its NOT morally wrong if I buy lego 60008 at toys r us for full retail price or someone brought this set at toys r us for me as a gift and I exchange it for another set at the lego store.

Both ways, lego isn't losing anything because the MSRP doesnt change. Again, its the store that selling it for 20% or 50% off thats losing the money not lego or toys r us. if they don't get from you, they will ecetually have to order them somewhere else.

Theres always ways of trying to save money. Printing out old screenshots,using coupons where you are not suppose to, buying all office a particular lego set that's on sale so the next person has to get it off eBay, etc.. And for those who do these things, you should not judge others as what you are doing isn't right either.

HERE HERE well said.

Buying on discount or at full RRP for that matter and selling on Ebay for a higher price later is a straight forward business process - ie reselling.

However buying something on clearance for say $50 taking it straight to a Lego store and asking for the full RRP of $100 back just to make a profit is immoral - if it is not illegal. Of course morality is subjective. Tax evasion is illegal, Tax avoidance is legal, but seen by some as immoral.

What I find strange is that Lego seem to have this silly policy that costs them money, but would ban people who spend $2k on their sets in a short period of time. Something that makes them money.

Yes, lego ban people for buying too much of their stuff but allow people to return clearance items. How many of you here return stuff from lego that you got on clearance elsewhere?

I am sure no one is going to reply and say 'I do it" because everyone is trying to show their good side. But I am sure everyone here trys to cheat once in awhile.

Those things aren't even close to the same thing, but you seem pretty intent on your stance so I won't bother picking it apart.

You are right its not the same. Buying low and selling high is not morally wrong. I should say its morally not right to buy an entire lego set so the next person can't get it at the sale price and has to buy it off eBay.

Yes, lego ban people for buying too much of their stuff but allow people to return clearance items. How many of you here return stuff from lego that you got on clearance elsewhere?

I am sure no one is going to reply and say 'I do it" because everyone is trying to show their good side. But I am sure everyone here trys to cheat once in awhile.

I don't return anything I bought from a store A to a store B...people have said they return a freebie they got from TRU to another merchant for a full credit. That is wrong, as none of these stores buy at full price otherwise they might as well stay home.

Now I do and will take full advantage of any price adjustment as long as the store policy allows it. And if they don't price adjust I will just return the item and buy it again as long as it is within the store policy's return time frame.

Also I will take full advantage of some promos as long the system allows : Meijer Sants Bucks come to mind, I don't think there is nothing wrong in playing it smart. ( that will be a key ingredient differentiating one investor from another, not some sale that everyone can get with a click of a mouse)

So its morally wrong if I buy lego set 60008 at target for 50% off and return it to the lego for full credit, but its NOT morally wrong if I buy lego 60008 at toys r us for full retail price or someone brought this set at toys r us for me as a gift and I exchange it for another set at the lego store.

Both ways, lego isn't losing anything because the MSRP doesnt change. Again, its the store that selling it for 20% or 50% off thats losing the money not lego or toys r us. if they don't get from you, they will ecetually have to order them somewhere else.

IMO, any gift being exchanged/returned to the Lego Store is fine since it meets the intent of the policy.  Any set returned to the Lego Store as a matter of convenience (not for profit by the buyer) also meets the intent of the policy.  This is why the policy is in place. 

However, Lego does take a loss on any returned set purchased at Big Box Retailer to the Lego Store.  At some point in the past, Lego sold that set to this retailer at well below MSRP, typically 30-40%.  When someone returns this set to Lego Store, TLG will typically pay the returner MSRP for this.  That 30-40% difference on each set is a loss to TLG and is written off.

I would guess this policy will be going the way of the dodo very soon if there are people routinely abusing it.

If buying something and reselling it at a higher price is wrong, Lets just go ahead and condemn all of the following:

Company Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target, Costco, The Home Depot, Walgreen, CVS, Caremark, Lowe's, Safeway, McDonald's, Amazon.com, Best Buy, Sears, Holdings, Macy's, Publix, SUPERVALU, Ahold USA / Royal Ahold Rite Aid Apple Stores / iTunes TJX Kohl's Delhaize America ****-E-B YUM! Brands True Value Dollar General Meijer Wakefern / ShopRite J.C. Penney BJ's Wholesale Club Staples Subway Gap Nordstrom Whole Foods Market Bed Bath & Beyond 7-Eleven Aldi Ace Hardware Ross Stores L Brands (formerly Limited Brands) Family Dollar Stores Army Air Force Exchange Wendy's Bi-Lo (formerly Winn-Dixie Stores) Starbucks Burger King Worldwide Menard Good Neighbor Pharmacy Darden Restaurants Verizon Wireless Toys "R" Us Trader Joe's AT&T Wireless Health Mart Systems Dollar Tree Office Depot AutoZone Giant Eagle Wegmans Food Markets Dunkin' Brands Barnes & Noble DineEquity Dillard's A&P O'Reilly Automotive Advance Auto Parts GameStop ****'s Sporting Goods PetSmart QVC Defence Commissary Agency Big Lots Save Mart Sherwin-Williams WinCo Foods OfficeMax Alimentation Couche-Tard Tractor Supply Co. Chick-fil-A Harris Teeter Supermarkets Foot Locker Dell Neiman Marcus Hy-Vee Brinker International Burlington Coat Factory Michaels Stores Belk Bloomin' Brands Williams-Sonoma IKEA North America Roundy's Supermarkets Stater Bros. Holdings Sonic Albertsons Price Chopper Supermarkets RadioShack Ingles Markets The Sports Authority

Bunch of cheaters...