The LEGO Stores' Lenient Return Policy

Mos_Eisley

I've noticed at least a few occasions where people post about returning sets they bought on clearance elsewhere to their local LEGO Store for full retail store credit.  Then in the daily deals thread on the first, several people were saying how they had or were going to return their Cottages to rebuy at the lower sale price.  I'm not looking to crucify anyone here, but I'm genuinely interested in peoples' thoughts on these practices, especially the people who are doing it.  What do you think of the practice?  Are the stores giving you any grief when you are returning and/or "price adjusting"?  Do you think it could have any negative impact on future returns for yourself or others?

I know not everyone who does this will want to post about it in public, but I'd love to hear what you have to say about it in a PM if you're more comfortable with that. 

Thanks!

• Like 3

I'm not one to talk much about morality on a website like this. But I think many states have laws regarding this? I also know that Lego has and will continue to suspend the VIP accounts of those it catches doing this. Store managers can actually report suspicious returns to the Lego fraud department who in turn can report it to the police. I would tread very carefully when doing this. Its not something I suggest at all. 

I can see Lego price adjusting a set that you bought at the Lego store to get the price if it were on sale. I do not see anything wrong with that. I also do not see anything wrong with a random person making a return for a set that they bought in the Lego store. That is fine with me. What I do not like is when people would buy clearanced sets from Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc. and returning it to Lego. That is wrong. Most of the time, Lego loses money when that happens. If this continues to happen, Lego return policies will get stricter just like there policies are getting stricter in an attempt to combat large resellers. I have also noticed that there are a lot more people who are scamming other people with Lego sets. Just look at what is happening. People are finding books and puzzle pieces inside LEGO SETS. And there are some other cases where people take out minifigures from a set and return it to the store without them. I am 99% sure that at least one set has come back to Lego without the minifigures. I think that the return policies will get stricter because of all of this happening. Lego is a great product and they have excellent customer service, but now all these negatives are affecting the company and its followers.

Guest eightbrick

Ah, well I'm fine with posting here so I figure I shouldn't add to that pile that's headed to your PM inbox. :)

Honestly, I don't really have that much of an opinion on the subject yet as it hasn't troubled me really. Interesting about the cottages though, both because it shows that Lego's no-discount-list was either wrong or clearance is different, and that people were returning them for the 20% discount. If you had the storage space, really last year was the time to jump on those as the discounts were a lot better (30-50% off compared to 20ish - here in Canada the price dropped to a delicious $103 :/ ). Some people's moral compasses are a lot more sensitive than others', and yes taking advantage of the return policy (meant for unwanted or defective items) does raise an eyebrow for me, but I'm not gonna burn someone for it.

The practice could be deemed immoral because it simply misuses the policy, and because some might feel you should be profiting from the sell rather than the buy, and if you bought something and then the price lowers, you don't deserve to get in on the low prices you missed. Another, less moral-oriented qualm some might have is that if everyone starts price matching the overall market prices will drop, making it harder to have investment winners, especially for people in the already price-battered regions of the world (Europe, Asia, Oceania, etc.). However, the biggest problem that I see with the practice is that it could lead to Lego toughening up their returning policies, which would hurt not just investors, but anyone who wants to make a return. I think things could start to get dangerous when TLG feels like it has to change their policies due to investors, but they might be a bit behind on this one simply because as LBR rarely discounts sets they don't need a strict return-and-buy policy.

Bottom line, go ahead if you are fine with what some would call "cheating", but be wary that you don't cause a problem bigger than missing out on a 20% discount. Interesting topic, though.  :thumbsup:

I just can't fathom how a company allows a return of product for refund or store credit without proof of purchase.  I've never encountered that.  It seems to me that if a company is going to offer a service like that they are going to invite people to "play games" and end up losing money.

I guess they weigh up the money lost from those game players against the goodwill and positive brand influence that their policy may generate with the average consumer.  Once the balance starts to tip towards the costs side of the scale I think they may look at changing the policy.  I wouldn't be surprised if that happens soon.

I pretty much agree with Martin. Regular price adjusting, if the store allows it, fine. Returning something received as a gift, fine. Buying clearance Lego with the intent of taking it back to the Lego store and getting full store credit, shady. I personally would not do that. Of course I returned a Minecraft set to the Lego store before Christmas, that I had purchased in the store, and I had the receipt, and I was still nervous for some reason. 

One of my local Lego stores has not had the Batcave in stock for probably half a year at least. I was there a few days ago and lo and behold, there's one on the shelf - with a non-Lego price sticker on the bottom for $79.99. Can't quite figure out where it would have come from.

I just can't fathom how a company allows a return of product for refund or store credit without proof of purchase.  I've never encountered that.  It seems to me that if a company is going to offer a service like that they are going to invite people to "play games" and end up losing money.

I guess they weigh up the money lost from those game players against the goodwill and positive brand influence that their policy may generate with the average consumer.  Once the balance starts to tip towards the costs side of the scale I think they may look at changing the policy.  I wouldn't be surprised if that happens soon.

I think of stores like Home Depot where if you return without a receipt, they give you store credit for the lowest price in the last 90 days. I think that is fair...

Price matching a new unopened item within their specified time frame is ok by me WITH receipt. No receipt, no price match.

Returning without receipt - unopened only for in store credit at last sale price is ok with me. In theory Lego doesn't really lose out in this scenario because they can resale at same price or higher to recoup their cost.

Totally and completely shady to return or price match at Lego something you bought elsewhere! These are the people that ruin it for everyone else.

I think its ok if you receive it as a gift and really don't know and price adjustments, if they allow it are ok. I am not going to worry about it with my WVCs. I really think that is there for if you buy something and the next day it goes on sale.

As for buying things on clearance and returning them for credit - this just doesn't sit right with me and is fraud to me. If I return something to walmart without a receipt I always tell them what I paid. I think doing this on purpose just seems unjustifyable.

I am cool with price adjustments, not just with Lego, but anything you buy. Most stores allow it or do it especially around the holiday season. Many of the B&M have a 90 day price guarantee, if price drops, they price adjust, you find it somewhere else they will price adjust it. It is the nature of retail business in this day and age to retain costumers that can practically shop anywhere with a click of a mouse....Amazon allow it within 7 days(?) and many memebrs here took advantage on CM, nothing wrong IMHO.

Buying stuff from one compnay and returning it to another is wrong.

Morally, it would make a difference if I buy an item at 50%+ off then goto a Lego store and return that item for the full value to get something else at the Lego store.

However, what if someone else got me a Lego set as a gift and I exchange the item for something else at the Lego Store.

Is that worst than me buying the item at 50% off? What if I don't know that the item is marked down at 50% off and I think that it's at regular price? All I am doing is taking the item that my friend got me and exchanging it for something else at the Lego Store. Something that the other stores don't have.

Morally, it would make a difference if I buy an item at 50%+ off then goto a Lego store and return that item for the full value to get something else at the Lego store.

However, what if someone else got me a Lego set as a gift and I exchange the item for something else at the Lego Store.

Is that worst than me buying the item at 50% off? What if I don't know that the item is marked down at 50% off and I think that it's at regular price? All I am doing is taking the item that my friend got me and exchanging it for something else at the Lego Store. Something that the other stores don't have.

You have to consider intent. IE buying something for 50% off so you can return it to walmart / lego store for more money = return fraud.

• Like 1

You have to consider intent. IE buying something for 50% off so you can return it to walmart / lego store for more money = return fraud.

I would not buy a Lego set for 50% off at another retailer and return it to a Lego store. It's just not morally right to do. Sure, someone can do it, and there's nothing stopping them because no one can proof that s/he got this set at 50% off. 

I doubt Lego Stores care if you buy it at 50% off from somewhere else because the bottom line is the company that sells it at 50% is at a loss (not Lego). The company will likely do a write off (net loss) on their tax return when they sale below cost. Lego store or any other stores shouldn't care because when you return an item to them, they now have this item in stock and thus don't need to order this item and can focus on ordering something else.

Second. At Lego store, you are only allow to do exchange. They don't give out gift cards. So, you can't sell the gift cards to someone else. Unlike other stores where you get a gift card and you can sell that gift card.

Third. There's a max. of $500 exchange without a receipt, and YES they keep track of the stuff you exchange by asking you to fill out some personal information each time you do a exchange.

I would not buy a Lego set for 50% off at another retailer and return it to a Lego store. It's just not morally right to do. Sure, someone can do it, and there's nothing stopping them because no one can proof that s/he got this set at 50% off. 

I doubt Lego Stores care if you buy it at 50% off from somewhere else because the bottom line is the company that sells it at 50% is at a loss (not Lego). The company will likely do a write off (net loss) on their tax return when they sale below cost. Lego store or any other stores shouldn't care because when you return an item to them, they now have this item in stock and thus don't need to order this item and can focus on ordering something else.

Second. At Lego store, you are only allow to do exchange. They don't give out gift cards. So, you can't sell the gift cards to someone else. Unlike other stores where you get a gift card and you can sell that gift card.

Third. There's a max. of $500 exchange without a receipt, and YES they keep track of the stuff you exchange by asking you to fill out some personal information each time you do a exchange.

This is definitely a good point. To Lego it is not particularly awful - especially because they never really have stuff on sale much so you are simply trading the set

But it is really a moral thing and a lot of times in this business, if it feels wrong, it is.

Lego store or any other stores shouldn't care because when you return an item to them, they now have this item in stock and thus don't need to order this item and can focus on ordering something else.

I doubt they see it this way. It's additional inventory, often dated, that they now have to get rid of. It's not a blessing for them at all.

I posted about this a month ago and I got crucified.  While I see numerous posts about people asking for old screenshots on a product from Kmart that is out of stock and sold out and they try to show to TRU or Target and get a price match from salespeople who don't know any better.  Lots of people bypass Lego rules by buying more than 2 41999 Crawlers and etc.  I'm not here to judge others on how people get their discounts or quantities of products.  I'm sure a lot of people on this site get their Lego's 100% legitimately from sales and clearance and etc.  But I'm sure there a lot of people here are quote un quote "immoral" by some peoples Lego's standards.  Who cares how people are getting Lego, bottom line we are here to make money.  Outright stealing is obviously not right but if Lego stores allows for any return without a receipt, that's their issue, not our moral issue. 

• Like 2

I doubt they see it this way. It's additional inventory, often dated, that they now have to get rid of. It's not a blessing for them at all.

Yea, you're returning clearance crap for a hot new set. I'm sure they think it's awesome. It's interesting how people can rationalize just about anything.

• Like 2