Do I have anything to worry about here? Non-paying bidder threats

nolanfan34

I figure this is pretty standard. I had someone buy it now a 7498 Police Station on Dec 16. They never paid, and I sent a couple of invoices and direct messages asking for some communication back. Never heard anything. Around Christmas I filed a non-paying bidder notice, and the case was opened.

I closed the case - still no response - a couple of days ago. So of course today I get a nasty-gram from the buyer, saying I am a liar and a crook, they are going to get eBay to put negative feedback against me, etc etc. I told them they might be thinking of another item. They came back and of course claim they try to communicate with me, couldn't pay because eBay didn't recognize my shipping info, etc. 

I am fine here right? I am assuming so, want to hear from those with more experience. This is the first time I've encountered this type of person after the case is closed. The weird thing is, their feedback is still 100%, so I don't know what they are so pissed about.

I think once you block someone they no longer have the ability to contact you, at least until they get another account, but I am a little rusty on the policy. I would report that buyer as well.

Whenever I am about to lose it at work I look up that Youtube video and watch Ventura charge the mound...Then all is right with the world again.

I am fine here right? I am assuming so, want to hear from those with more experience. This is the first time I've encountered this type of person after the case is closed. The weird thing is, their feedback is still 100%, so I don't know what they are so pissed about.

You have nothing to worry about. Nothing they can do to you (from that account) as long as you block them. 

They are just pissed because eBay told them they now have recorded on their eBay account that they didn't pay for your listing. It probably doesn't help them that they didn't do anything to contact you even after you opened the case. If they don't pay for other listings or otherwise misbehave, their eBay account will be suspended. If they sell stuff too, that's gonna sting. They thought nothing would happen to them (which was probably true in the old days). You can even contact eBay and forward along the nasty emails they have sent you since.

By the way you don't lose feedback, or really have anything done to you at all for that matter, on Ebay for non payers.

Basically you get a little thing on your account for a non-paid item. If you get two during a certain period of time, you may not be able to buy from some people. Get enough and Ebay may eventually do something but I doubt it.

In all honesty, I would use require automatic payment unless you are using Best Offer like I do. I sacrifice the heart ache because I benefit from Best Offer. But I open 2 or more unpaid item cases a week so pick your poison for sure.

You should be fine.  This is why it's important to conduct all correspondence through eBay.  If you tried to contact them through eBay, and they never responded, eBay knows.  If they had tried to contact you via eBay, eBay would know.  And if you filed an non-paying bidder (NPB) case, won, and got your final fee back (or will get it back eventually), then clearly eBay felt you fulfilled your end of the bargain, and they did not.  You have no penalties against you as a seller for filing the case, or for giving the NPB a strike if you chose to do that.  As for them now getting nasty, yes you should block them from every buying from you again, and maybe let eBay know if you think their messages are rising to the level of harassment.  Or ignore them.

I LOLed at the idea of them getting eBay to leave negative feedback against you.  Not laughing at you, at them.  As buyer-friendly/seller-unfriendly as eBay is now, I'm not aware that eBay is getting that involved in transactions.  Taking the side of a buyer most always, yes, leaving negative feedback for a seller on behalf of a buyer, no. 

This is another good reason to use fixed-price listings with Buy It Now and immediate payment, versus auctions or accepting best offers, as mentioned earlier.  Buyer buys, buyer has to pay right away, easy-peasy.

Doesn't everybody set up non paying bidder to run automatically after 4 days? This has relieved a lot of my stress. I no longer send invoices and buyers either pay or they don't I've find that in the end there is not much that I can do on my end that will affect whether someone follows through or pays.

I'm pretty sure that when a non paying bidder case is closed that buyer can no longer leave feedback for you so I wouldn't worry.

You should be fine.  This is why it's important to conduct all correspondence through eBay.  If you tried to contact them through eBay, and they never responded, eBay knows.  If they had tried to contact you via eBay, eBay would know.  ....

This is another good reason to use fixed-price listings with Buy It Now and immediate payment, versus auctions or accepting best offers, as mentioned earlier.  Buyer buys, buyer has to pay right away, easy-peasy.

^ this.  always use ebay / paypal messaging when communicating.