Brickpicker Article Suggestion Thread

I'd like someone to finish up the eBay vs. BL comparison. I don't have any time to write or post now, but old still like the series to get finished. If you need any help on the writing, I'd be happy to help.

I'll write a follow-up to your series. I should be able to calculate those prices pretty quickly. ;)

Quick Q for you or anyone - thoughts about the price ranges? You did 0-10 and 10-25. I'm thinking 25-50, 50-100, 100+?

Flipper vs. long term investor. This could be a great article. Needs some great data to make work. Do not attempt this piece unless you are willing to back it up with some quality numbers.

I have been thinking about this one for a while, but as you said it really needs to be as accurate as possible to make it work.... We'll see if I can claim the idea in the next week or so. If someone else wants to give it a go, fell free (as I am not sure I will find the time)

Flipper vs. long term investor. This could be a great article. Needs some great data to make work. Do not attempt this piece unless you are willing to back it up with some quality numbers.

I have been thinking about this one for a while, but as you said it really needs to be as accurate as possible to make it work.... We'll see if I can claim the idea in the next week or so. If someone else wants to give it a go, fell free (as I am not sure I will find the time)

I've been pondering this one as well.  It's a very large topic that would require a lot of research.  At present I think the data we have available limits us a little.  Ideally we could examine the debate by looking at sets that went EOL 3-5 years ago and comparing profits from flipping at the time vs profits from selling now.  The trouble is we only have 1-2 years of monthly price data, so we can't see the flipping prices back 3-5 years ago.  We need to wait another year or 2 and build up the data that we have.  There are some other possible angles you could take but to answer whether flipping or long hold is optimal would at this stage require comparing different Lego sets, leaving it open to "apples vs oranges" problems.

I had thought about an article just on the compounding power of flipping and using the last years data as an example.  The "issue" with that though (as with an attempt on the above as well) is that hindsight is 20/20 and when we actually need to make investment decisions we have a somewhat unknown future.  But we can probably still take some sort of learnings from it.

FCB, I don't have time to author an article but I can contribute data and other information. Basically, I need a ghost writer. ha.

My idea is about how members can buy higher priced retired sets to build (that they normally wouldn't for various reasons - e.g. Eiffel Tower, Cloud City, UCS Falcon) and then sell for a profit. Essentially, people can finally build and own theiir dream sets. The main objective is about building / owning and investing is secondary.

on the note of flipping, i was thinking specifically pertaining to getting a set right when it comes out (mr gold/crawler/delorean) in that 3 day window or so when you can sell a set for much higher than msrp before it comes crashing down once everyone has availability. or when ur the 1st person on ebay to list a new set. (just not sure how to word that into a topic title) "turboflipping" ? Copyright pending on the term LoL

I'll try this one. I understand what you mean, but if you want send me a pm with what you want covered feel free :)

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

How about an article evaluating Hero Factory? I think that would be interesting. Maybe something like "Can Hero Factory make you Heroic profits?" Or "Hero Factory: Great Legs to Stand on or a bad joint?" Lol

I'll claim this one. Would you be fine with a format similar to my Galaxy Squad article? (http://blog.brickpicker.com/lego-galaxy-squad-wave-1-stellar-investments-or-space-junk/) There's over 100 HF sets so is there something specific you'd like me to focus on (the new wave perhaps, or all available waves, or the first wave, whatever's cool with you), reply here or PM me. If you want me to look over all the sets I might have to stretch it out over several articles. Thanks!

How about an 'Investing in polybags 101' article? Identifying recent sleepers and trends? History of investing in polybags? This is a subject I'm trying to learn more about currently.

This will probably get posted shortly - thanks again for the idea.  If I have time I might do a less data dense article on polybag buying/selling unless someone else wanted to cover that.  I've actually got to drop off four polys in the mail before work this morning, so I'm feeling pretty poly-proud at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you may have noticed this in the dashboard if you were working on your articles.  There is a page here that will allow people to post their blog article ideas and then other members can claim them

http://blog.brickpicker.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=idea-manage

(just go into the dashboard area and you will see a menu option for Article Ideas)

Only logged in members will have access to this page.  You can post as many ideas as you want.  When someone claims your idea, you will get notified that someone did (right now just a very generic message, but will be enhanced).

For those that claim the idea, a button will show up that will say "Write",  please click this link to start writing the blog.  This will tie it all together so that in the end, the person that came up with the article idea will be awarded 50 Brickpoints just for the idea.

Lets test this out and see how it works. Hopefully it will keep things organized and promote good content.

Guest eightbrick

Can we start a page that grants me more time in my life to write blogs? Have a lot of ideas, no time. lol.

Lol. I wish. Fortunately it's transition week at my school so I have lots of time :D .. but I have a long way to catch up to you (4700), Veegs (3300) and Grolim (2300) haha.

*quick calculations from the list, probably messed up somwhere