Brickpicker Article Suggestion Thread

A new way to earn Brickpoints and increase the quality and quantity of the site's content has been born: Article Suggestions.

Here is how the process will work:

1- Members who don't have the time or simply don't feel like writing an article, but have a great idea for one, will post the idea in this thread. One of the mods will then add the idea to this first post, including who originally posted it.

2- Anyone who is seriously interested in writing an article based on any of the ideas posted in this thread will have the chance to "claim" the one they would like to write about. Basically, it is a way for those that don't have the time to add articles to the site to still add some content, while it gives writers with a fresh pool of new ideas.

3- Once an idea is "claimed", one of the mods will update the thread and mark it as such. For example:

Top Sets of 2013 (Idea by: FCB101) - Claimed by: Quacs
Top Sets of 2014 (Idea by Jeff) - Available

This way we can make sure no one writes about the same idea twice.

4- If a member decides to use an idea from this thread, crediting the member who suggested it is required. The author has to include something like this either at the beginning or the end of the article: "Original idea by: Ed"

5- If an article based on an idea from this thread is submitted AND is published in the Brickvesting Blog or Evaluation Corner, the member who came up with the idea will receive 20% of the total amount of Brickpoints awarded to the author.

For example, if a member writes an article based on an idea from another member and is awarded 500 Brickpoints, the member who suggested the article will receive 100 Brickpoints!

This is a great way to help the site and earn some Brickpoints on the way (you want to have as many as possible to post on the soon to arrive Classifieds, or to purchase a set on the BP Store), so start suggesting anytime!

Article Ideas

- 2013 Investment potential of 2013's Holiday promos (Idea by: MartinP) - Claimed by: Veegs

- Impact of feedback on ebay listing price (Idea by Bold-Arrow)

- Polybag investing 101 (By lobo1969)

- TLG efforts to "mislead" investors/resellers (by brickcrazyhouse)

-LEGO employee gifts (By darksam007)

- Rumors, Investment Advice and Speculation - Should you take action or stick to your strategy? (By exciter1)

- Brickmaster Kits (not the Ultimate Stickerbooks): Worth A Flip or Certifiable Flop? (idea by pigdragon)

- TMNT theme analysis and relating S@H sold out periods to any secondary market price jumps (idea by Veegs)

- Hero Factory (by JuneauJQB) - (Claimed by Eightbrick)

- "Renting" sets and sell for profit (by jaisonline)

- "Turboflipping" (by rcdb1984) - Claimed by FCB101

- Disney Princess theme (by Snarkie)

- Bricklink vs eBay (by comicblast) - Claimed by gregpj

- Auction vs BIN (by Migration)

- Flipping vs Long term holding (by Ed Mack)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed Mack: "To all members...For future reference, please notify me by PM when you submit an article/blog that was created from an idea on this thread.  It's hard for me to keep track of everything and a simple private message stating that you got your blog idea from another person will help me divvy out the BrickPoints correctly."

• Like 2

I just want to say that this is a great idea. It would really help the Brickpicker community. Some people do not have the time to write articles but they have great ideas. Here is my article idea: The investment potential of the Lego Holiday promos, for example, the 40082 and 40083 sets for 2013.

Guest eightbrick

Can we claim our own ideas (no extra brickpoints, of course) to make sure there are no repeats? I'm currently working on Galaxy Squad wave 2 and an article on Juniorization, and am probably going to do the Hobbit wave 2 sets (if no one else is working on it - if you are PM me and I'll stay off your turf :D ). I also have a collab going on for the Friends animal polybags with Darth Lego and wholovesboo.

Here is something I always meant to work on but I doubt that I will have the time in the forseeable future:

The impact on eBay feedback on the price of a set/listing. Obviously the better your feedback the more you can charge for a set - since newbies have to discount theirs to get going. I always wanted to study whether certain feedback brackets allows you to command a higher percentage, & by how much; and when does that impact hit a nadir as the market will dictate a certain ceiling.

Here is something I always meant to work on but I doubt that I will have the time in the forseeable future:

The impact on eBay feedback on the price of a set/listing. Obviously the better your feedback the more you can charge for a set - since newbies have to discount theirs to get going. I always wanted to study whether certain feedback brackets allows you to command a higher percentage, & by how much; and when does that impact hit a nadir as the market will dictate a certain ceiling.

I might actually try to write this one, but need to figure out if I will have the time to research and all that. Cool concept.

I just want to say that this is a great idea. It would really help the Brickpicker community. Some people do not have the time to write articles but they have great ideas. Here is my article idea: The investment potential of the Lego Holiday promos, for example, the 40082 and 40083 sets for 2013.

I have often wondered myself how to maximize these free promo sets - if it's alright MartinP, I'm going to start working on this.  In looking back, it seems that these holiday promos really hit their stride only in the last three Christmases, so it won't be the longest article, but hopeully it will be interesting!

I have often wondered myself how to maximize these free promo sets - if it's alright MartinP, I'm going to start working on this.  In looking back, it seems that these holiday promos really hit their stride only in the last three Christmases, so it won't be the longest article, but hopeully it will be interesting!

That's great! I was also thinking about the last three years for the Holiday promos. Here is a list of the promos for the last three Christmases.

2011: 3300020 Holiday set 1 of 2 and 3300002 Holiday set 2 of 2

2012: 3300014 Christmas Set

2013: 40082 Christmas Tree Stand and 40083 Christmas Tree Truck

I will look forward to reading your article.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

how bout Lego throwing curve balls at investors/flippers.  As in changing up the regular set routine.  Example being the ucs b-wings short shelf life and heavy discount or the one time exclusive clone lieutenant polybag and then mass releasing it for a month.

That's great! I was also thinking about the last three years for the Holiday promos. Here is a list of the promos for the last three Christmases.

2011: 3300020 Holiday set 1 of 2 and 3300002 Holiday set 2 of 2

2012: 3300014 Christmas Set

2013: 40082 Christmas Tree Stand and 40083 Christmas Tree Truck

I will look forward to reading your article.

I had a sleeping baby this morning and had already done some of the research last night, so submitted this a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the idea - I listed you at the top of the article :)

How about an 'Investing in polybags 101' article? Identifying recent sleepers and trends? History of investing in polybags? This is a subject I'm trying to learn more about currently.

I think you've got some great points here - and the potential for more than 1 article perhaps.  If it's alright with you, I'd like to post a retrospective of 2013 polybags only and weigh in on which seem to have the most potential (rather than the history of polybags or polybag investing 101) and leave those aspects open to someone else.  Even this article will be a challenge, because there were a ton of polys released in 2013 - I have some, but not all on the list!

I had a sleeping baby this morning and had already done some of the research last night, so submitted this a few minutes ago.  Thanks for the idea - I listed you at the top of the article :)

I will make it live shortly.  I will give Martin his points as well.  

To all members...For future reference, please notify me by PM when you submit an article/blog that was created from an idea on this thread.  It's hard for me to keep track of everything and a simple private message stating that you got your blog idea from another person will help me divvy out the BrickPoints correctly.

I will make it live shortly.  I will give Martin his points as well.  

To all members...For future reference, please notify me by PM when you submit an article/blog that was created from an idea on this thread.  It's hard for me to keep track of everything and a simple private message stating that you got your blog idea from another person will help me divvy out the BrickPoints correctly.

Sorry Ed, that should have been obvious to me but wasn't.  I'm not trying to sneak Martin's points :)

Sorry Ed, that should have been obvious to me but wasn't.  I'm not trying to sneak Martin's points :)

No, it's not your fault.  I was just making a point for future blogs.  This is a work in progress.  The basic rules are being made up as we go.  I just wanted to make sure the correct people are being rewarded.

I am working on something similar - but lets see if this satisfies what you are thinking about. If not, we can keep it separate.

Basically, I was going to go from my experience what made a difference:

1. Feedback makes a very small, but not a huge difference.

2. Top Rated seller - much much bigger difference in terms of items sold and higher prices.

3. Ebay Store - Added benefit with Top Rated seller allowing higher prices and # of items sold.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of good empirical data we can gather for number 1. I thought about checking the higher BIN sold values for some highly sold sets and see if everyone that commanded these highest prices had good feedback. Would that suffice?

As for number 2 and 3, I am going to offer my own data from my store.

What do you think?

I am working on something similar - but lets see if this satisfies what you are thinking about. If not, we can keep it separate.

Basically, I was going to go from my experience what made a difference:

1. Feedback makes a very small, but not a huge difference.

2. Top Rated seller - much much bigger difference in terms of items sold and higher prices.

3. Ebay Store - Added benefit with Top Rated seller allowing higher prices and # of items sold.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of good empirical data we can gather for number 1. I thought about checking the higher BIN sold values for some highly sold sets and see if everyone that commanded these highest prices had good feedback. Would that suffice?

As for number 2 and 3, I am going to offer my own data from my store.

What do you think?

That sounds pretty neat ..I meant to compare different sets with different feedback brackets and see if that translates to any significant BIN price differences...as you would imagine that would be pretty time consuming and one would need a good sample size..

I do like your idea though. You have WAY more experience than me selling and you have a better grasp regarding how to optimize your asking prices .

I was just posting in another thread that I'd like to see what data people (or a person) can gather on TMNT.  I'm not expert on this theme - don't own a set, passed up some over the last couple of months mostly because I don't have a lot of faith that these are going to be winners (but I'm not set in this belief, just need more data).  What I'd really like is a look at which sets sold out at S&**** over the holidays, what kind of secondary market bumps they got because of it and what kind of extrapolations one can make based on this data.

As a side note, I submitted a second Friends article and am finshing up the polybags of 2013 article I 'bid' on earlier.  I'm looking for a few more ideas to write about that are in my wheelhouse if anyone wants to throw some out and make some easy BPs.

on the note of flipping, i was thinking specifically pertaining to getting a set right when it comes out (mr gold/crawler/delorean) in that 3 day window or so when you can sell a set for much higher than msrp before it comes crashing down once everyone has availability. or when ur the 1st person on ebay to list a new set. (just not sure how to word that into a topic title) "turboflipping" ? Copyright pending on the term LoL