10030 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2002)

Danny

27 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I have that set sitting in my garage.  I really want to build it (mostly because I want to resell it afterward).  There are a couple of things stopping me - the sheer size of it (I don't have any place to build something that big), and my almost 4 year old, who would no doubt make it a little more difficult to build than I would want.

Just give your son the iPad and he'll leave you alone. Works for my 3 1/2 yo son. He plays the educational apps and watches YouTube Kids. ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Just give your son the iPad and he'll leave you alone. Works for my 3 1/2 yo son. He plays the educational apps and watches YouTube Kids. ;)

Won't work for my son.  He's just shy of 4, and built the Millennium Falcon Microfighter all by himself last night (I was only allowed to answer questions and turn the page on the instruction book).  He'll be all up in my business.

I can actually manage him when I'm building...it's the "what is he doing when I'm not there to supervise" that I worry about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

I have that set sitting in my garage.  I really want to build it (mostly because I want to resell it afterward).  There are a couple of things stopping me - the sheer size of it (I don't have any place to build something that big), and my almost 4 year old, who would no doubt make it a little more difficult to build than I would want.

I wish I had that dilemma :derisive:. 10030 is on top of my AFOL wish list...gotta have dreams in this world!

• 4 weeks later...

I need an advice, since this is my first big Lego trade. I'm closing a deal for a new and sealed UCS Imperial Star Destroyer, the box is slightly marked (see the attachment). I'm buying for around 500€, and to me this looks like it's too good, so maybe I'm missing something. Is the marked changed for this set? I can see listings on ebay and amazon for well over 1200€ (unboxed, complete).

Am I missing something?

IMG_20160303_084616.JPG

IMG_20160303_084746.JPG

1 hour ago, Dreadino said:

I need an advice, since this is my first big Lego trade. I'm closing a deal for a new and sealed UCS Imperial Star Destroyer, the box is slightly marked (see the attachment). I'm buying for around 500€, and to me this looks like it's too good, so maybe I'm missing something. Is the marked changed for this set? I can see listings on ebay and amazon for well over 1200€ (unboxed, complete).

Am I missing something?

Is it new or old grey? If you weren't aware this set was done in the old "Light Grey" and then re-done with the new "Light Blueish Grey" which is a colour LEGO still currently uses. Maybe the old grey one is worth less due to the (sometimes) undesirable colour. Just a guess though. If you intend to build it you could always open it up in front of him to make sure you are getting what you paid for. as 500€ is around $740 Canadian, and i sold an incomplete mess of a 10030 for around that amount, so it does seem on the lower side.

Maybe the seller is just trying to move it quickly and needs the cash. You mentioned it's a trade, so i assume that means you are trading in person. If this is an online transaction i would probably be wary. 

I used trade for a lack of a better word (non an English speaker). It's actually an online seller.

I'm asking for additional securities, I've been scammed before.

I intend on selling it asap. What would be the price drop if it is the older grey? 

Whether it is the old grey, or new bley - it is a great deal (assuming it is legit). Different people prefer different styles, but more of the rare pieces themselves are harder to find (and costlier) in the new bley.

By the way, the doubled up seals were common with this set. 

4 hours ago, Dreadino said:

I used trade for a lack of a better word (non an English speaker). It's actually an online seller.

I'm asking for additional securities, I've been scammed before.

I intend on selling it asap. What would be the price drop if it is the older grey? 

Where is it coming from?  If it's coming from Nigeria or some African country I would be quite weary of it being a scam.  Those Nigerians can be pretty nifty.  If he starts trying to rent you some beautiful vacation home for next to nothing, that would be a sure fire red flag.

Edited by Rimmit

It's from Italy. I'm speaking with the vendor and when asked for additional photos he sent them immediately. I'll send him money through a service of the national mail that require the real name and address of the receiver. I've been scammed once, I'm trying not to be scanned twice.

My doubts were on the market for the set, but it's looking pretty well on that side.

1 hour ago, Dreadino said:

It's from Italy. I'm speaking with the vendor and when asked for additional photos he sent them immediately. I'll send him money through a service of the national mail that require the real name and address of the receiver. I've been scammed once, I'm trying not to be scanned twice.

My doubts were on the market for the set, but it's looking pretty well on that side.

That's the absolute worst possible scenario right there.  Run away from this.

• Like 1

I'll look for your upcoming post in the complaint thread...

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 10030 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2002)