10030 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2002)

Danny

Depending on what pieces are glued this could be completely salvageable with a little effort if most of the really rare pieces have not been glued yet. I have seen that some glues actually melt the plastic so you should try and get a few pieces apart and check if its even worth trying to get the rest apart. Assuming you didn't glue the wheels, rocks, stickers, box and instructions, you have value there. Put it up for trade and you will get some good offers!

Maybe I wasn't understable enough but I meant that a set has to be 100% glued or 0% glued.

I'm over half done

Half glued is just, well I'm sorry but I think it's "dumb".

A guy who wants a glued set wouldn't want to glue half of a set (what a boring job).

A guy who wants a nomal set wouldn't want to unglue half of a set (even worse).

So make your choice but don't try to sell it as it. You will have to drop the price highly if you want to get rid off it.

My advice is to finish the job because it will be more easy than to unglue and clean bricks.

Then, sell it on craiglist to a SW collector who doesn't care that much about legos: "incred!bl3 !!! a super SW set completely glued, bricks by bricks ! so it will be very sturdy ! great to display !!1!!"

That's what I would do.

Of course, I wouldn't have glued this set, to begin with... but hey what's done is done...

Edited by biniou

Yup, I realize it was dumb now :-) Loc-tite super glue, won't acetone also eat the Legos? I've glued the upper bridge sections and one of the four triangle plates. I tried to just snap a piece off, one came off, another started to tear. Makes sense to either finish or try to unglue. Of course finishing the glue job is the easier task. I have instructions but no box.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm going to resurrect this thread again.

I bought one last month off of CL.  It's about 99% complete.  I'm BL'ing the last 30 or 40 parts that I need.

I can definitely say that it was done in new gray.  Without mistake, the pieces I have match up nicely to new parts in the same color.

Okay, I'm going to resurrect this thread again.

I bought one last month off of CL.  It's about 99% complete.  I'm BL'ing the last 30 or 40 parts that I need.

I can definitely say that it was done in new gray.  Without mistake, the pieces I have match up nicely to new parts in the same color.

FYI - I have 1 1/2 + of these sets in new gray.

I still need to find the time to inventory and list the complete set, but will likely have parts available if you have trouble BL'ing them.

FYI - I have 1 1/2 + of these sets in new gray.

I still need to find the time to inventory and list the complete set, but will likely have parts available if you have trouble BL'ing them.

Thanks. Luckily, I'm only missing about 30 parts at this point. I already BL'd the most expensive, least common pieces I was missing - like the light gray levels with light gray base. It doesn't seem like that was ever done in the light bluish gray. There was only one vendor on BL and he was at $1.70. But I only needed a few of them so it wasn't bad.

I'll take a look and see if there is anything else that is unusual and let you know.

• 1 month later...

Question on Imperial Star Destroyer 10030 - Old Gray vs. New Gray

Hi, can someone here educate me about ISD 10030?  Is there supposed to be only one legitimate version of ISD 10030 which is based on the old gray plates?

The reason I ask this question because I bought an ISD 10030 on ebay and for some reasons, all the bricks and plates are light bluish gray.   Should I be concerned about it?

Thanks in advance.

10030 was a 2002 set and was available until at least some time in 2005 (I'm not sure what Brickset has it listed as).  Light gray was replaced with light bluish gray in 2004. The set was produced in both colors. It was actually fairly common during the switch to find sets that had both old and new versions of the replaced colors in the same set. 

Edited by Mos_Eisley
  • Like 2

I can also confirm that light bluish gray exists for this set.  I have one in my garage that is light bluish gray.  The annoying thing is there are a couple of parts on that set that were only ever produced in light gray, and even after the switch, were still only produced in light gray.

I believe the light gray is slight more sought after.

I can also confirm that light bluish gray exists for this set.  I have one in my garage that is light bluish gray.  The annoying thing is there are a couple of parts on that set that were only ever produced in light gray, and even after the switch, were still only produced in light gray.

​I believe that the bluish gray is actually more rare & valuable. There are a number of pieces that could be found in multiple sets in the old gray, but only in this set for the new bluish gray. By the way, I recall asking before but I wasn't sure of the piece you were referring to - which piece(s) couldn't you find in bluish gray?

Edited by KShine

​I believe that the bluish gray is actually more rare & valuable. There are a number of pieces that could be found in multiple sets in the old gray, but only in this set for the new bluish gray. By the way, I recall asking before but I wasn't sure of the piece you were referring to - which piece(s) couldn't you find in bluish gray?

​Huh, that's pretty interesting.  I hadn't considered that.  I figured it was around a lot longer in light bluish gray than light gray.

The one that springs to mind is the Lever Small Base with Light Gray Lever.  According to BL, it doesn't come in Light Bluish Gray.  The only store on BL that had them in the quantity I needed, and was located in the United States, was priced at about $1.70 each.  I needed 9 of them.

I don't recall at the moment if there was anything else that stood out.  There's 17 of those pieces in the set itself.  I'd have to go back over my notes (which are packed away at the moment) to see if there was anything else that I couldn't order in Light Bluish Gray and had to go with Light Gray.

I was seriously considering this as my next project, but now am wondering if it's worth it.

I've heard that the nose will end up sagging after not too long cause of the weight, as well as the use of crappy magnets for the plates.  Also, I remeber reading that the model is very delicate...

It does look rather beautiful, but I'm not sure my OCD tendencies could tolerate a bent ISD.  On the other hand if I only build half of it and bury the nose, it'll look somewhat similar to the new trailer :)

Thoughts?

Aplinemaps could you post some pics of the two colour greys please?

I was seriously considering this as my next project, but now am wondering if it's worth it.

I've heard that the nose will end up sagging after not too long cause of the weight, as well as the use of crappy magnets for the plates.  Also, I remeber reading that the model is very delicate...

It does look rather beautiful, but I'm not sure my OCD tendencies could tolerate a bent ISD.  On the other hand if I only build half of it and bury the nose, it'll look somewhat similar to the new trailer :)

Thoughts?

​It is one of my favorite models on display.

Thoughts?

​I have this set and I think it's easily a top three Star Wars set of all time. It has a presence when displayed. It's HUGE! There are definitely issues with the nose sagging after time so be careful if you are buying a used set. This can be easily remedied though with some modifications/extra bracing added to the inner frame. I did this with mine and all it took was some common pieces. Mine has been on display for three years now with no sagging issues. I will try to post pics later with my mods to the inner frame. As for the magnets, they're ok, but they could've provided bigger/stronger magnets. I have no issues moving my ISD around when needed.

Ironically, someone just posted theirs for sale on CL in my area and the nose is sagging a lot. Here's a pic from the ad. It looks pretty awful but like I said, you can easily prevent this from happening. Oh, and another thing, this guy with the sales ad doesn't have the ISD sitting properly on the display stands/legs. It's not supposed to sit that low.

10030 ISD Sagging Nose.jpg

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 2

​Huh, that's pretty interesting.  I hadn't considered that.  I figured it was around a lot longer in light bluish gray than light gray.

The one that springs to mind is the Lever Small Base with Light Gray Lever.  According to BL, it doesn't come in Light Bluish Gray.  The only store on BL that had them in the quantity I needed, and was located in the United States, was priced at about $1.70 each.  I needed 9 of them.

I don't recall at the moment if there was anything else that stood out.  There's 17 of those pieces in the set itself.  I'd have to go back over my notes (which are packed away at the moment) to see if there was anything else that I couldn't order in Light Bluish Gray and had to go with Light Gray.

​That piece does in fact exist and there's a ton of them in 10179, which is why it is so rare and expensive.  Anytime I find these in a lot I hold onto them just in case of a project like this one.  I really want this set and would also want it in the newer bluish grey, I think old grey looks dirty and faded against new grey.  My only worry is that a new UCS Star Destroyer will come out and I will have spent a ton on a model I could again get for a couple hundred bucks.

• Like 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 10030 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2002)