10030 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2002)

Danny

Any important parts I should look for when checking the boxes?

I know of the magnets for the SD, anything else?

Taj: 16x32 blue baseplate

SD: Magnets and the pieces that make up the rear engines

Eiffel Tower: 32x32 baseplates and a lot of dark gray pieces in vast quantities.

Those are all the pieces I would look for in these sets.

• 8 months later...

My only guess would be that there are different dates printed on the box, but like I said, the possibility that there were 2 versions is new info to me. I suppose a guy could bricklink the parts in new grey if that is what you wanted.

EDIT: Ok, after looking up the set, since it was made in 2002, the only new grey version a guy is going to find is one that was bricklinked, or custom built. This set was a few years away from the newer colors, so I highly doubt lego made this set in both versions.

I am pretty certain that it was produced in both new/old (a mix of both actually). There are some pieces (some of the more rare ones), that are exclusive to this set, and are available in new grey (but never used in any other set). I would guess that LEGO needed some more of the rare parts (to complete additional sets), but that they had already transitioned over to the new grey - so they were produced in the new grey.

Edited by KShine

I am always emailing eBay members but never does a new gray version of this set come up. I'm looking for a used set, not new. Willing to pay $500 for pieces only, +$15 for unused sticker, +$20 with box, +$50 with manual. Shipping included in my offer. Anyone here have this set in the 2005 newer grays for sale?

The colour aside: The set in used condition is worth about 800$, maybe you can get it for less, but 500$???

Even if you say 600$ (with box and manual... and probably used stickers...) this is a little bit unrealistic don't you think?

So I don't want to offend you, but honestly: If a seller offers an item for a certain price (without the option "best offer") probably that's becaus he wants to sell it for that price.

After reading your post I can imagine why they didn't bother do answer you.

I bet you have a nice car and a nice home where you life? Ever thought about selling them? Well here is my offer: 10$ for the car + 5$ if the tires are new.

For the house/flat I'm will pay above average price and give you 100$, if it comes with a new unused kitchen than +10$.

You don't want to sell to me? I can't imagine why.

So I don't want to hurt your feeling or offend you and I know that this set is expensive on the secondary market, but that's the way it is I guess.

Why should anybody sell you a set for 300$ less than what they could get for it? Please enlighten me.

When I visited Ethopia people came to me asking for money and to take their children with me... even people of whom I thought as friends... when I asked them "why" they put on this poor-sad african face (don't know if you can follow me here or if you actually need to experience it yourself) and answered something like:"Because I don't have any money and you are rich".

Even after telling them that I'm not actually rich though I get their point and that it's not part of my culture to take other peoples children or just give them money because they want some they looked a little bit puzzled. As for me I've been pretty confused and a little bit offended by them asking in the first place. And it did happen several times, even from so called friends of mine (and I'm not talking about the guy on the street that you've just met you keeps saying "my best friend").

After that I did have some trust issues since it wasn't clear anymore who is just friendly and who is just looking to take advantage of me. I started to avoid those situations because it was just plain annoying after some time.

Why am I telling you this anecdote?

Of course you can ask people to give you their money for free because they do have money and you don't, but you shouldn't be surprised if they start to avoid you.

To some of those people the fact that you are "offering" them (generous as you are) a lot less money than they are asking for is offending and answering you would take time = money.

If it's only one person that's no big deal, but often you have to answer to several people and at one point you just stop replying to people who seem to just not being worth a response. That sounds harsh but we're talking business here and why should I spend 1h talking to somebody and explaining him that I actually intended to get those 800$ as posted and that though I appreciate his offer and that he wants the item, I will not sell it for less than my price. Why should I? If I really do response the conversation might go on and maybe he even buys it just to ask me for a refund later because of something... just so that he gets a better price.

I wish you good luck with your pursued of 10030 for a good price (we all here love to buy at a good price!) but you should at least make realistic offers, everything else is a little bit off.

I hope I didn't confuse any prices here and if I did so please feel free to correct me.

seal (or box stamped) codes would be one way to figure out which grays are likely in the set. ha

I see, thanks! How can you tell without opening the box and inspecting the pieces?

My only guess would be that there are different dates printed on the box, but like I said, the possibility that there were 2 versions is new info to me. I suppose a guy could bricklink the parts in new grey if that is what you wanted.

EDIT: Ok, after looking up the set, since it was made in 2002, the only new grey version a guy is going to find is one that was bricklinked, or custom built. This set was a few years away from the newer colors, so I highly doubt lego made this set in both versions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few years ago I started the task of super glueing my 10030 Star Destroyer. I was tired of it constantly breaking! (I have three little kids) I'm over half done, but as it sat for a while I have seen the light and decided that it was a bad idea.

I now want to sell it, and since disassembly is out of the question, do you think finishing the glue job or leaving it as-is is the best option for the best selling price?

How do you think it being glued will affect the value?

FInish your work.

If a guy wants to build a set, he wants to build EVERYTHING.

If he doesn't really care and wants to display it only, then he would be ok to have the spaceship completely glued (my heart bleeds, Emmet).

Maybe you can glue everything except the fragile parts (radars, etc.) so it would be better to ship it safely.

Edited by biniou

FInish your work.

If a guy wants to build a set, he wants to build EVERYTHING.

If he doesn't really care and wants to display it only, then he would be ok to have the spaceship completely glued (my heart bleeds, Emmet).

Maybe you can glue everything except the fragile parts (radars, etc.) so it would be better to ship it safely.

I'm of the opposite opinion personally. I would rather get it partially glued and hope I can take it apart (most likely not, but at least there is a chance). If I couldn't then I could finish the kragling myself if I wanted to. At least that way I have options

But I see binou's point as well. Maybe the buyer is lazy and wants it all or nothing. I'm personally just not that buyer. I'm interested to see what other peoples opinions are. 

A few years ago I started the task of super glueing my 10030 Star Destroyer. I was tired of it constantly breaking! (I have three little kids) I'm over half done, but as it sat for a while I have seen the light and decided that it was a bad idea.

I now want to sell it, and since disassembly is out of the question, do you think finishing the glue job or leaving it as-is is the best option for the best selling price?

How do you think it being glued will affect the value?

It will kill the value.  You cannot expect to get anywhere near the used value.  I like displays, so I do buy glued LEGO sets from time to time, but they are worth way less than unglued sets.  

• Alpinemaps changed the title to 10030 - UCS: Imperial Star Destroyer (2002)