9496 - Desert Skiff

M4x18

I'm sure you'll make money on this set once its retired, but have realistic expectations. Its a small set with a $25 retail price and a 213 piece count, without a must have exclusive figure or other rare hook to draw people in. Ceiling is probably $50 or lower. Best practice will be to bundle it with the Sail barge, as others have already suggested. You should definitely be getting these below $18 for investing purposes. Shopko just had them on clearance sub $15 online, though they're out of stock now. If you're going to mess around with the small sets be sure to keep your entry costs low and don't expect enormous gains on an individual set basis. If you're making 40% ROI year on year selling these small sets properly accounting for all your fees and expenses you're crushing the market...

• 2 weeks later...

Bump Looks like Amazon is duking it out with Target. Desert Skiff is at 35% off down to 16.15 right now. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-Desert-Skiff/dp/B007Q0OUTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363871147&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+skiff Happy Hunting! This is a great set for the price IMHO!

Someone posted the skiff at this price at Target a few days ago, looks like Amazon finally caught on. For those of you that live in states where Amazon charges tax (as I unfortunately do), if you order from Target online and use the Target Red card, it comes out to $15.34+tax, free shipping, per set. http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-desert-skiff-9496/-/A-14050073#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=9496

I'm sure you'll make money on this set once its retired, but have realistic expectations. Its a small set with a $25 retail price and a 213 piece count, without a must have exclusive figure or other rare hook to draw people in. Ceiling is probably $50 or lower. Best practice will be to bundle it with the Sail barge, as others have already suggested. You should definitely be getting these below $18 for investing purposes. Shopko just had them on clearance sub $15 online, though they're out of stock now. If you're going to mess around with the small sets be sure to keep your entry costs low and don't expect enormous gains on an individual set basis. If you're making 40% ROI year on year selling these small sets properly accounting for all your fees and expenses you're crushing the market...

I agree with these expectations. I would see a ceiling of around 40-50. These small sets are kind of a double edge sword in investing. On one hand, you can hold on to them without investing too much in them, but the other side of that is that everyone else can also afford to pick one up at almost any time as well. I own a few, but I am almost regretting that purchase and if I didn't get them at a steal, I would regret it even more... I think the biggest question is whether or not a kid in 2-3 years will be asking his dad for a Desert Skiff... Is it that important of a set to spend $40-$50 on when there will be so much more out there in that price range. I say get a few to hold on to, but it will be a slow climb.