Found 2 complete boxes of series 7 at Target - How to sell

akohns

So I was at Target last night and randomly found a complete retail rack of CMF series 7. There are 120 pouches in it. This is the Target that I go to the most and I know for sure they haven't had these out in the last two years. I was able to pick them up for a good price including the display and I'm wondering what the best way to sell them would be. I'd rather not go through the time to sort them all if possible. Is there a good market for complete boxes? I feel pretty safe in assuming this would be two complete cases as they good relatively untouched and there were exactly 120 in the box.

So I was at Target last night and randomly found a complete retail rack of CMF series 7. There are 120 pouches in it. This is the Target that I go to the most and I know for sure they haven't had these out in the last two years. I was able to pick them up for a good price including the display and I'm wondering what the best way to sell them would be. I'd rather not go through the time to sort them all if possible. Is there a good market for complete boxes? I feel pretty safe in assuming this would be two complete cases as they good relatively untouched and there were exactly 120 in the box.

I don't know if you can sell it as two complete boxes unless you touch all the packs to confirm the contents. I think you're better off sorting them.

Also what was a good price? IE were you able to haggle with them to get a cheaper deal since you were buying them all?

I got them for less than 50% of the retail even after taxes. Is the a set breakdown of each box for series 7? I did a little research but it didn't seem like it was quite set in stone like the later series.

Edit: they were marked clearance but they were ringing up as series 11 as $2.99 in their system. My wife and tried to get them to give it to us for less than the clearance price but no go. I was able to use a 5% off plus my redcard discount.

I got them for less than 50% of the retail even after taxes. Is the a set breakdown of each box for series 7? I did a little research but it didn't seem like it was quite set in stone like the later series.

Edit: they were marked clearance but they were ringing up as series 11 as $2.99 in their system. My wife and tried to get them to give it to us for less than the clearance price but no go. I was able to use a 5% off plus my redcard discount.

Here's Brickset's box breakdown on CMF Series 7:

http://www.brickset.com/brickLists/?7003

Yes, except series 7. The packs looked untouched except for a sale sticker on each one. I feel safe in assuming since they looked untouched and there were 120 in the box that it was a complete display.

Mos, is there a chance one of the displays you bought were mixed up with other stock?

That's the one.

Alrighty then. Well, my Target uses those and I must have been lucky enough to be there right after the display unit was just put up because I have gone through all the packets before and the ratio seems like sticking two 60 count boxes together. Course your experience may vary (and I have too much time on my hands :blum:).

Alrighty then. Well, my Target uses those and I must have been lucky enough to be there right after the display unit was just put up because I have gone through all the packets before and the ratio seems like sticking two 60 count boxes together. Course your experience may vary (and I have too much time on my hands :blum:).

My target refills the display rack so it screws everything up!

I've really got to believe that they are literally different packaging for 2 complete boxes. Otherwise there would be more or less of some figures in circulation than people think based on the ratio everyone is using. Of course that doesn't mater much since it would likely be very slight.

Yeah, most do. This looked like they found a brand new old stock display in the back, popped the front off and slapped clearance stickers on it and threw it on the end cap. Box doesn't look like it was hung and the packs looks fresh.

If I didn't confirm the contents, what would be my best way to sell? I'm not really wanting to sell each individually. I see "blind packs" in lots of 3-5 going for $15-20. That would yield a pretty decent profit with minimal work over 24 transactions/shipments.

Yeah, most do. This looked like they found a brand new old stock display in the back, popped the front off and slapped clearance stickers on it and threw it on the end cap. Box doesn't look like it was hung and the packs looks fresh.

If I didn't confirm the contents, what would be my best way to sell? I'm not really wanting to sell each individually. I see "blind packs" in lots of 3-5 going for $15-20. That would yield a pretty decent profit with minimal work over 24 transactions/shipments.

How much does a full set go for? I would imagine you should have at least 4 full sets in there.

edit: I never really understood buying blind packs online. There is no way for the consumer to know that the seller didn't feel up all the bags and sell you a set of commons.

One thing that I've seen people do is take a paper knife and slit the package open, peek inside to see what minifigure is in it, seal it back together with a piece of tape, and then sell it.  It seemed to work fine, and it didn't deduct from their profits.

I prefer that method to the sellers who decide to take them out and rebag everything!

If you can do this, go ahead. As someone else mentioned, blind packs are risky - most consumers avoid them online. I am not sure the individual prices for Minifigs from this series. You might be able to sell them as a complete lot as "assured unscanned" packs on Ebay or something... Another reseller might be interested.

Yes, mine does too afterwards. I was just saying that I have been there when the big display for the current series at the time was initially put up like Series 9.

I've really got to believe that they are literally different packaging for 2 complete boxes. Otherwise there would be more or less of some figures in circulation than people think based on the ratio everyone is using. Of course that doesn't mater much since it would likely be very slight.

I don't know how Lego actually does fill up those 120 count display cases. I've gone through the 30 & 60 count cases before and my thinking would be if a 30 count box is exactly half the ratio for a 60 count box then a 120 display ought to be twice the 60. Lego seems to shy away from randomness. Anyhow, there should be at least four complete sets in that 120 display you found.

Yes, except series 7. The packs looked untouched except for a sale sticker on each one. I feel safe in assuming since they looked untouched and there were 120 in the box that it was a complete display.

Mos, is there a chance one of the displays you bought were mixed up with other stock?

When Series 10 came out I bought several sealed, 120 count display boxes from Targets. They brought all of them out from the back and they were are still sealed in their original shipping carton. I went through at least 8 untouched boxes, and none of them had the same distributions of characters.

When Series 10 came out I bought several sealed, 120 count display boxes from Targets. They brought all of them out from the back and they were are still sealed in their original shipping carton. I went through at least 8 untouched boxes, and none of them had the same distributions of characters.

Did you still get at least 4 sets per display?

Gotcha, but then again that's series 10 and not series 7. It sounds like I may need to just go through the whole thing and confirm contents. I got pretty good at feeling them so I'm ok in that department.

IF it was 2 whole boxes, I believe the more uncommon are 3 to a box unlike some of the more recent series so that would leave 6 full sets plus 24 left overs. It looks like a complete set is selling for $60 

Nope. Some boxes had only 3 of one character and one only had 2 of one. It was weird.

I know I was dealing with 10 and this is for 7, but you can't find distributions for these large display boxes, and I believe it is because they vary. Without knowing for certain that they just brougt that box out and that it wasn't just a mix of other leftovers, it wouldn't be cool to list it as such, so I'd say you're going to need to check them out by opening or feeling.