9493 - X-Wing Starfighter

Dbroncoboy

• 2 months later...

The new X wing #75102 looks like a more detailed model with 717 pieces ($79.99) while the #9493 has only 560 pieces  (MSRP $59.99 but currently selling for $100). Does this mean that buyers will go for the improved new model since it will be a cheaper and bigger set?

The new X wing #75102 looks like a more detailed model with 717 pieces ($79.99) while the #9493 has only 560 pieces  (MSRP $59.99 but currently selling for $100). Does this mean that buyers will go for the improved new model since it will be a cheaper and bigger set?

New wing is not the same ship as the Xwing. It may look similar but different. People will buy the new one for sure cause, well, it's new. OT ships will probably not be made by Lego for some time. People will still want to buy OT ships so value will probably not decrease much if any at all. Boy we really need some pics of these sets with all the talk on which ship is better.

Somehow I think we can copy and paste all the posts from the 7965 topic and change the set number and it will save us two days of banter

​But so many people like to hear themselves complain... I don't have any Xwings (other than red 5s) and never did have any.

LOL .. reason why long term are left holding the bag :P no pun intended.

TLG is playing the game very nicely.. screwing resellers....

​It's "bag holding" as coined by one of our favorite BP alum.

​But so many people like to hear themselves complain... I don't have any Xwings (other than red 5s) and never did have any.

​I had several, not anymore. I sold through several I picked up after the first of the year, but just kept going through my stash when the prices kept rising, and rumors of a new X-Wing were solidifying.

Edited by exciter1

BTW sold one few days ago for £114 ($175) shipped on Amazon UK.

​Someone who has never heard of the 10240? Or perhaps one of those people that complains to a hotel receptionist that their room is too BIG!

Unlike 7965, this one has a UCS big brother available which caps sales at around the 100 euros mark. Once 10240 goes, there could be a sweet spot for making more money but I think most people got rid of there ones at Xmas.

9492 is an interesting one as the UCS model actually seems to have generated more interest in the older one - prices are still pegged at around 100 euros,  though.

​Someone who has never heard of the 10240? Or perhaps one of those people that complains to a hotel receptionist that their room is too BIG!

Unlike 7965, this one has a UCS big brother available which caps sales at around the 100 euros mark. Once 10240 goes, there could be a sweet spot for making more money but I think most people got rid of there ones at Xmas.

Quite a few people have not heard of the UCS x wing then :) I guess some people want a smaller version for display and are not prepared to pay £170 for the UCS version

From a purely collector's standpoint, this X-Wing is much more different in design than the 7965 is to their upcoming counterparts. Most collectors expect a similar build for 7965, but for this one expect a similar but not the same ship. It's like a 1965 mustang vs a 2015 Mustang. I would also look at how well received the new film is. If it is liked by the original generation, then people will embrace the new vehicle and I would assume a slowing in increase for the older set. If the older generation dislikes the new film, then there will probably be an uptick in the number of people purchasing the older set as a sort of protest.

Or that could all just be me talking out of my rear, this is the internet and many people do it.

I´m down to my last one and that will probably have sold long before the new film comes out. 20 euros won or lost on one unit isn´t going to change the world and right now it is much more important to see what 10240 does for the same reasons you mention above.

• Like 1

I´m down to my last one and that will probably have sold long before the new film comes out. 20 euros won or lost on one unit isn´t going to change the world and right now it is much more important to see what 10240 does for the same reasons you mention above.

Just curious to know what was your average profit on each 9493 set. And when did you acquire them? Just want to compare different investment strategies.

People will be selling them for that price soon when the new one comes out.

Ok, seriously, what I sometimes do with freebies and competition wins is bundle them with the toxic stuff I have (Lone Ranger, City,SW 1-3) then it feels like I actually turned a profit on them!

• Like 2

​I heard you get more by listing on Amazon...

​If you don't want it, why not sell it?  I held onto one of each 9492, 9493, and 7965.  After seeing the box and display for the UCS Tie, I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay the going rate for 9492?

• 3 months later...

I never would have thought that this set would be sellig at double RRP less than a year after EOL and with 10240 still available for retail AND the new playset out.

Great ROI for a set that had many doubters and could have been got for less than half price.

I was one of the doubters.  I've had a 6212 sitting on my shelf for several years that has struggled to hit 2x RRP.  I'm very surprised to see 9493 shoot up so much so quickly.

Great ROI for a set that had many doubters and could have been got for less than half price.

I wish I could have found some at less than half price.  I think I got my stash for around 30-40% off, but I definitely should have bought more.  A lesson learned for Red 5?  Maybe, maybe not.  Time will tell.

I wish I could have found some at less than half price.  I think I got my stash for around 30-40% off, but I definitely should have bought more.  A lesson learned for Red 5?  Maybe, maybe not.  Time will tell.

Well, if people are shunning Red 5 for 9493 now while it´s available for rrp or below, who knows how they will behave when it´s done....

Getting 10240 for 40% is a no brainer but very hard to accomplish, 30%  was my best.

It seems that 9493 falls into that sweet spot of 100-130 USD/EUR where there are plenty of buyers - going up another 50 or so makes a world of difference.

I guess it helps that the remake looks different and has a higher RRP so bridging back to the OT version doesn´t seem so much.