9493 - X-Wing Starfighter

Dbroncoboy

People kept telling me the same negativity about the Tie Fighter when I asked about buying them above MSRP for $80 or so.

I listened to them and shouldn't have.

I'm just looking at the numbers. I love the sets.

Aren't the tie fighters design pretty improved though? And longer between releases?

Maybe this should be moved. Sorry for starting discussion about this

People kept telling me the same negativity about the Tie Fighter when I asked about buying them above MSRP for $80 or so.

I listened to them and shouldn't have.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the price of the TIE fighter once the UCS version is released in May for $199.  I'm guessing it may depress it a bit.

Clearly, the last version of the TIE fighter was the best one given they didn't use the abhorrent blue plates.

• Like 1

Perhaps this discussion should be moved into the X-wing thread, but that was part of my earlier point.  The 9493 is doing very well right now being recently out of stock just before and during the Christmas season.  It will still make money in the future no doubt, but if the price point gets too high, then buyers will start to look at 6212 as an alternative or even Red-5 if it's still around for $199.99.  Why pay $150 for 9493 when you can get Red-5 for $199.99, unless you want just a smaller play set?

My 2 cents. Yes, 6212 becomes an alternative, but the prices will catch up. I think a lot of casual buyers will want a set with minifigs which can be a reason to buy one over the other. Especially for little Timmy or Tammy who wants an Xwing. You are also assuming that Red-5 is available - if it poofs mid year $150 leading up to the new movie release is going to be a gimme.

(this should get moved probably lol but going to continue)

I am more interested to see how they handle the new wave of movie sets next Dec. Guessing they will remain tight lipped on the movie content itself, so perhaps we won't see them before Christmas. If it is like this year, those that end up on the shelves before Jan 1 are going to be $$$$$$$

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Buy them now. You could flip now for a decent profit but I would wait until its closer to the new star wars movie, if no new x-wing is released and red five is gone then this set will keep appreciating. If they announce a new x-wing being released you should have a couple months notice to dump them. 

Edited by isocleas

Thank you very much for your opinions. Unfortunatelly, there aren't any modulars, just a lot of Friends, some City, some small Technic sets (themes that I don't know much), all the new Star Wars Microfighters and Rebels sets (all with the correct MSRP) and these X-Wing which are leftovers from Christmas (higher than MSRP). I'm more confortable dealing with SW and the 9493 seemed like the best bet. I'll take a second look at what's available and see if I can score a better deal.

Thank you very much for your opinions. Unfortunatelly, there aren't any modulars, just a lot of Friends, some City, some small Technic sets (themes that I don't know much), all the new Star Wars Microfighters and Rebels sets (all with the correct MSRP) and these X-Wing which are leftovers from Christmas (higher than MSRP). I'm more confortable dealing with SW and the 9493 seemed like the best bet. I'll take a second look at what's available and see if I can score a better deal.

Indeed do not bother with $20-30 sets :)

But there might be interesting Friends, Ninjago or even City sets.

Check for the ones which have 4 digits (year 2012 and below). For example:

- ninjago 9449 Ultra Sonic Raider (avoid the 9446 set if not discounted, because a new version is coming, or sell it as soon as possible)

- friends 3185 Summer Riding Camp

- city 4204 The mine

etc.

or maybe some already retired 5 digits sets like the Chima Lion Temple 70010.

If the price is ok (slightly lower than the MSRP), with the voucher it could be nice deals.

Those above I listed are examples and are great sets to resell as soon as you come back to your house. :)

Note them on a paper (or use the ebay app on your smartphone to see sold items) and check if there's something valuable.

Another posibility is to hold your voucher a little longer if nothing seems to be interesting (just be sure that it can be used for a long time)

Edited by biniou