Timing the Sale of Minifigures

Desultor

Hi folks! I'd like more of the track and parts that come with the Batman Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape 6857, and it seems smart to buy extras and sell off the minis to make the bricks "free." So... when is it best to sell the minis from a set? While it's still fresh? Shortly after EOL? 1-2 years after EOL or longer? Does it depend on the mini/set/license? Is this a good plan? Thanks!

You can easily sell the minifigs right now and should be able to break even-ish. Joker, Riddler, Robin, and Harley Quinn go around $10 each. Of course, the other option is go to buy the sets without minifigs from somebody on eBay. Might be just as easy to do. Looks like you could pick them up for around $15, and I bet somebody would make you a deal if you buy in bulk. Good luck!

6857 is easily one of the best sets available right now for getting free bricks by selling mini figures. You can also sell the Batcycle for another $6-$8. If just getting free bricks is your concern, you can sell them whenever. But if you are looking for a way to PROFIT on mini figures, here are the two best ways. 1. The obvious one - Wait til they are EOL. 2. The less obvious method - If you sell mini figures right away after the set is released, you will appeal to the people who solely collect mini figures. They are impatient and want to add to their collection, so they will pay top dollar for the figures so they don't have to purchase the whole set. Just because we like to buy sets and part them out occasionally, doesn't mean everyone else wants to. You will even see people pay $25 for three minifigs that are available in a $20 set! (see 6862.) I hope this is helpful.

M4x18, this is a good question, not a dumb one. The dumbest questions are the ones you DON'T ask. :) Philosophical rambling aside, there are a few reasons this set is sought after. Here are the reasons, in no particular order. 1. Most $39.99 sets don't come with 5 mini figures. They typically come with 4, or even 3. 2. This set is exclusive to ToysRus and LEGO stores and LEGO online only. Anytime a set is exclusive, there is higher demand for it. 3. People love villains. This set has 3 villains, two of which can only be found in this set. I am speaking of The Riddler and Harley Quinn. 4. This is one of only two sets that has the Joker in it. It is also the cheaper of the two sets that contain Robin. I may have missed a reason or two, but hopefully this information is a good start for you.