(Accidentally) Shipping to Canada

j.hermit

So I have all my auctions set up for US only.  I get an offer for a lot of minifigs, accept it, and the guy's from Canada- in Ontario.  And I don't know the first thing about shipping internationally.  I don't have a problem with it, and I was actually going to test the waters with the GSP this week, only with a few cheaper minifigures.  This lot sold for $155 and I'll get to ship it myself, and I'm concerned about the possibility of getting burned on my most expensive sale so far.

My question is, what do I need to do to cover my rear, but still (hopefully) ship in a cost effective manner?  Is USPS First Class safe now that they have delivery confirmation?  It's just a bit more than Flat Rate Priority that I had offered in the listing, but I've seen complaints on the forum about Canada Post not updating their tracking.  Or should I be using one of the Priority options?  Also, do I need to add insurance myself?

One last thing concerning First Class International- USPS.com shows that it'll ship to Ontario for $7.70, but Ebay shows the exact same thing for $12.02.  Any ideas about the difference?

You may be looking at USPS letter rate, not package rate like on eBay. You need package rate.

USPS first class tracking to Canada is sporadic, but works about 75% of the time in my experience. Add insurance through eBay when you print the label and you'll be covered either way.

And, I recommend GSP (which you're thinking of trying for future) for anyone who doesn't want to learn the ins and outs and risks, or as in my case doesn't want to bother with same.

If you want tracking you have to do usps express global priorty

This is no longer true - Canada has been trackable with FCMI since spring, USPS added more than a dozen other countries at the end of July. They aren't always RELIABLE tracking yet, but it exists and is getting better.

Australia has been hopeless for me, UK perfect, Canada 3/4 reliable, not a lot of experience with the other countries offered.

This is no longer true - Canada has been trackable with FCMI since spring, USPS added more than a dozen other countries at the end of July. They aren't always RELIABLE tracking yet, but it exists and is getting better.

Australia has been hopeless for me, UK perfect, Canada 3/4 reliable, not a lot of experience with the other countries offered.

Are we 100% certain eBay is considering this a valid confirmation for seller protection?

Are we 100% certain eBay is considering this a valid confirmation for seller protection?

Yes, provided there's an actual delivery scan (and that is the part that's a bit hit or miss still). All the same rules about over $250 needs a signature, etc. still apply.

I have had some experience with these this year in spite of using GSP for everything I can, because one of my major categories wasn't GSP supported until the past few weeks, so I have quite a stack of Canada, UK, and Australia shipments I've been able to observe the out of the country tracking on (or, in the case of Australia the LACK of out of country tracking on) for FCMI packages.

I have not yet personally had an INR claim while using the new E-DELCON service, but word on the seller's forums I'm on is that eBay and PayPal both accept delivery scans as valid for seller protection when there is a case.

Thanks for helping with my crash course on International shipping.  Concerning the difference of First Class rates, I double checked the USPS site, and it was set for packages.  Gives me the same $7.70 rate for large packages too.  EBay's $12.02 First Class Intl rate is thru the shipping calculator on the "Send Invoice" page.  I don't know if EBay's bundling in some service I'm not aware of, or if they'll show a different rate when I actually print up my label.

That's super odd because I've never seen eBay's rates be higher than the same-service USPS rate (they are often lower because of the commercial rate deals they get). But, because I loathe USPS insurance and their mission in life to not pay off claims (versus eBay's insurance - It's Shipsurance or Shipsomething I think, can't remember the name but it's on the form page which is quite easy to deal with if you have a claim) I'd use their service versus USPS directly.

So I see that the insurance will cover a lost or damaged package, but will it do anything to help you if you're scammed?  I see that USPS insurance gives automatic delivery confirmation which would help with seller protection, does ShipCover (Ebay insurance) offer something like this too?

If anyone would like to offer a little insight, what are you guys' standard procedures for non-GSP international shipping?  And if you were sending a package like this (25 minifigs, $155), how would you ship it?

You may be looking at USPS letter rate, not package rate like on eBay. You need package rate.

USPS first class tracking to Canada is sporadic, but works about 75% of the time in my experience. Add insurance through eBay when you print the label and you'll be covered either way.

And, I recommend GSP (which you're thinking of trying for future) for anyone who doesn't want to learn the ins and outs and risks, or as in my case doesn't want to bother with same.

I agree Alot of international buyers will claim item not received if you do not send it with a tracking.

I learned the hard way, now I only use GSP, as long as you can show tracking to the USA facilitiy you are 100% covered. Had a scammer say he did not get my item so I called up ebay showed them the tracking to their GSP facilitiy, they closed the case on the spot gave me my money back and told me they would take care of it and its no longer my responsibility :). GSP is more expensive for the buyer but its better than getting screwed over

So I see that the insurance will cover a lost or damaged package, but will it do anything to help you if you're scammed?  I see that USPS insurance gives automatic delivery confirmation which would help with seller protection, does ShipCover (Ebay insurance) offer something like this too?

If anyone would like to offer a little insight, what are you guys' standard procedures for non-GSP international shipping?  And if you were sending a package like this (25 minifigs, $155), how would you ship it?

For non GSP orders, I use USPS global priority express since you get a full tracking ect and insurance .. safest bet. I would not send anything over $25 dollar value via int. first class.

I spent a long time putting off selling internationally because I was afraid of being burned.  So far it has been a very pleasant experience.  All of my largest orders have been international and they have all been positive experiences for both myself and the buyer.  Mostly Australia and Canada, but a few other countries as well. You said you were only shipping minifigs, you may need to correct you settings on the shipping page.  I shipped a package of over 50 minifigs and 7 horses today that was 1lb 6oz to Canada today and it was only $10 something.

I also use the insurance I think Justafrog was referring to, Shipsaver.  I haven't had to submit any claims yet, but after reading through their terms and reading reviews from other users they seem legit.  You can look them up in the application center in you ebay account.