Stock photos or custom images?

j.hermit

Like many other forum dwellers, I've been selling some Lego stuff on Ebay- mostly minifigs so far.  I've been wondering about something, and it seems like a fine time to ask since my camera just broke-  how do you guys feel about using stock photos vs. your own pictures in your listings? 

So far, I've been taking all of my own pictures;  I feel like buyers might be more comfortable seeing the actual item they're bidding on/ buying, and it makes the listing seem a little more personal.  However, getting everything framed and properly lit, etc, is a pretty big timesink, especially with my jimmied light setup.  I also feel a bit guilty listing them as "New," as they technically should be used if they've been assembled (I do mention in my listings that they've been assembled for the photo).  I've only used stock photos for sets w/o minifigs or pieces of sets, and I use pictures from Lego.com instead of taking pics from an image search or other listings.

Any thoughts on this?  Does using stock or custom photos affect the rate your items sell or their selling price?  What's your personal preference?

We take our own photos, but realistically when I'm going to list a quantity of four of something and I'm only taking a photo of one of them for the listing, the other three are using my own "stock photo".

Provided the item is in new condition and the stock photo isn't showing things the buyer won't get (i.e, if he's only getting the spaceship, don't show the minifigs, too), I don't see anything inherently wrong with stock photos.

Re: new vs. used items that have been assembled purely for resale, you'll find that the norm on eBay is to list these as new. Some people have a problem with it, but everyone knows what the standard practice is, so again, as long as you tell your buyers what's up (handled only to assemble from new kit type verbiage like you say above), you're not being deceptive and can go feel guilty about using too many plastic bags or something instead.  :twitch:

Guest betsy805

I use stock photos a lot for the new stuff.  Exception is when the box/bag is in imperfect condition.  I get you on the photos though, especially when trying to do large quantities of minifigures.  Probably why my loyalty is slowly drifting to bricklink!!

I personally use my own photos.  Yes, it's a pain and it takes up a lot of time, but I feel it gives the buyer a certain level of comfort, being able to see exactly what they are bidding on.  I haven't sold any minifigures, so I can't speak to that.  After reading all the articles and posts about drop shipping and scams, I become wary when I see a stock photo.  That's just my personal opinion.  Like Justafrog said, though, if I have multiples of the same thing, I only take one picture and use it each time I list that item...unless there's something dramatically different with one of the boxes (i.e., one of them got dented).