The MINIFIGURE Code

TheOrcKing

Series 1 & 2:

Each character had their own different barcode.

Series 3 - 7:

Barcode is now the same on all mystery packages, but a braille-like 'bump' code was found. With only a few exceptions, like one character having two completely different codes or the code being reversed between batches.

Now we are up to Series 8 (with Series 9 & 10 coming next year), and I just discovered something that will make the life of anybody that had to rely on the 'code' to get the figures they want a whole lot worse.

....The code doesn't work anymore.

Well, it still does kind of. Let me explain. You know how on the bottom of the back on each packet how there's the batch number? (It's the five inprinted digits.) I just found out that each batch has its own set of 'bump code's now! HOLY CRAP! And even then, the code doesn't always work. I got two packets that were supposed to be the "Business Man", and it ended up being the "Pirate Captain"! Or another one that was supposed to be "Santa", I 'smoosed' it to find out it was the "Conquistador"!

I'm sure this is LEGO getting onto our game again, and now they practically made the 'bump code' inert.

I just wonder, how the heck can the employees keep track of all these different codes?

From the sound of many of the members here, this is probably of no concern. But I feel sorry for anyone that had to rely on the 'bump code'. For myself, I'm kinda bummed. I spent some good hours trying to decipher this last series. Even made a good, precise measurements, printout and went to Target with it in hand, only to discover this.

......Damn.

Oh well. Atleast I'm actually getting pretty good at the whole 'smooshing' technique.

Series 1 & 2:

Each character had their own different barcode.

Series 3 - 7:

Barcode is now the same on all mystery packages, but a braille-like 'bump' code was found. With only a few exceptions, like one character having two completely different codes or the code being reversed between batches.

Now we are up to Series 8 (with Series 9 & 10 coming next year), and I just discovered something that will make the life of anybody that had to rely on the 'code' to get the figures they want a whole lot worse.

....The code doesn't work anymore.

Well, it still does kind of. Let me explain. You know how on the bottom of the back on each packet how there's the batch number? (It's the five inprinted digits.) I just found out that each batch has its own set of 'bump code's now! HOLY CRAP! And even then, the code doesn't always work. I got two packets that were supposed to be the "Business Man", and it ended up being the "Pirate Captain"! Or another one that was supposed to be "Santa", I 'smoosed' it to find out it was the "Conquistador"!

I'm sure this is LEGO getting onto our game again, and now they practically made the 'bump code' inert.

I just wonder, how the heck can the employees keep track of all these different codes?

From the sound of many of the members here, this is probably of no concern. But I feel sorry for anyone that had to rely on the 'bump code'. For myself, I'm kinda bummed. I spent some good hours trying to decipher this last series. Even made a good, precise measurements, printout and went to Target with it in hand, only to discover this.

......Damn.

Oh well. Atleast I'm actually getting pretty good at the whole 'smooshing' technique.

there is a phone app that let's you scan the barcode on the bag and it will tell you which minifig is in the bag. Never used it so not sure if it works.

there is a phone app that let's you scan the barcode on the bag and it will tell you which minifig is in the bag. Never used it so not sure if it works.

I've heard of this, but I believe it only worked on the first two series.

Other than smooshing, another good way is to weigh the bags individually with an electronic scale :D

Came across that technique as well. I just wonder how 'accurate' something like that can be really?

And unless "there's an app for that", it will be awkward walking around with a scale.

Eh, oh well.

Screw the code, 'smooshing's the way to go!

(I guess that would make me a 'smoosher' now.)

• 3 months later...

I have only been into the mini figs since series 8, but I was at about a 99% smooshing success rate after very little time at it. I usually just feel for the head accessory. That gives most things away pretty easily. I have yet to handle series 9. No one has it near me. I am hoping to make a trip to MOA soon though. I can smoosh mini figs there for hours! :)

Last time I got cornered by the mall cops at the LEGO Store, I just grabbed a handful from the Pick-A-Brick wall and threw it in their faces and then bolted. Now I have to wear a fedora and fake mustache because I am not allowed in the store anymore. Lol. ***For those who don't know my sense of humor well enough yet, this didn't actually happen. :)

I have found almost every figure in a series 9 box, did't buy the box, just became the creepy guy feeling the Lego bags for some good 20 minutes. the store didn't have the judge and the fortune teller. Anyways, here's what I looked for in every bag to identify every figure: Roman emperor: smooth 2x2 piece Waiter: round shield-like tray Chicken suit guy: arms, shaped like wings Hollywood starlet: triangle shaped legs and award Fortune teller: triangle shaped legs and 2 smooth 2x1 pieces Mr Good/Mr Evil: elixir bottle/hat Police man: single 2x1 piece and distinctive cuffs/hat Battle mech: very tricky, large chest piece, counted 6 pieces in total Roller derby girl: 2 skates Heroic knight: flat sword Forest maiden: triangle shaped legs and bow/shield Plumber: plunger, it's kinda rubbery so it can be pressed and it collapses a little bit Judge: hammer Mermaid: weird bottom and starfish Alien avenger: pistol Cyclop: beating stick

TRU has series 9.

Anyone seen the "bump" list for these yet?

i just created a video with bump codes for 10 minifigs...

waiter

alien avenger

hollywood starlet

heroic knight***

battle mech***

cyclops

chicken suit guy

policeman

mermaid

good & evil

but i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a video of it....

am i?

Tried the smooshing technique for the first time with a whole box of series 9 packs, its super easy! I was able to identify all the minifigs pretty quickly. I wonder if all the previous series are just as easy??

I think they have been getting a lot easier to tell. The characters in each series has been more unique than the last. It took until Series 4 for my Target to ever get any of the MINIFIGURES, so I can't really say if the earlier ones were easy or not, but from the looks of them I don't think so. Earlier ones were unique but their parts weren't THAT unique. (From a 'smooshers' aspect, mind you.)

Don't get arrested by the mall cops lol!!

Ha ha, I love this. I can imagine that whole scene. Aaron getting dragged off by two security quards and a blip on the daily news about 'the brick pervert'. Ha ha ha!

i just created a video with bump codes for 10 minifigs...but i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a video of it....

am i?

I do not see why not. If you could post it on youtube, you are fine.