Why does Emazers buy 40-50 sets or more of one set!!!!!!!

emazers

The easiest way to acquire large numbers of exclusives is by buying early and often through Amazon.  Although Amazon imposes certain set limits, those limits generally reset each week so you can buy 2 copies of an exclusive this week and another 2 copies next week and another 2 copies the week after that, etc.  Also, now that Target has started selling exclusives, you could acquire a large number through there as well.

Besides the fact you can get them in goldbox as well which rules now that they are never discounted.

Pacific and DoNot (and anyone else who knows), when do the "newer" exclusives tend to hit Amazon, or is it (ha ha) hit and miss? (Arkham Asylums and Ewok Villages are on my target list for mid-November, and I see I can get AAs at retail on Amazon, but no EVs yet.)

I'm the wrong person to ask.  I won't start thinking about AA until sometime next year and EV is at least 2 years off.

The easiest way to acquire large numbers of exclusives is by buying early and often through Amazon.  Although Amazon imposes certain set limits, those limits generally reset each week so you can buy 2 copies of an exclusive this week and another 2 copies next week and another 2 copies the week after that, etc.  Also, now that Target has started selling exclusives, you could acquire a large number through there as well.

I didn't know that Amazon reset its purchase counts.  I guess that's smart on Amazon's part.  In an ideal world, there would be no limits.  If a person wanted to buy 1,000 Haunted Houses legitimately, then God Bless them.  I dislike limits, but unfortunately, it is a way of life now for LEGO investors.  My point still stands though, excessive purchasing of one type of set is causing issues for the casual LEGO investor, which is most members on this site.  Also the indiscriminate enforcement of these policies makes for a very uneven playing field.  

I know a few people will game the system anyway they can to make a buck and try to convince themselves its their right, but I want to try to keep the topics and investment techniques as legit as possible.

I know emazers has quite a following on the site, so I will tread lightly.  I enjoy his non-TRU posts, but people need to realize there are some serious questions about his methods IMO.  Tax issues aside, there is also the issue of acquiring 50 or 60 exclusive sets.  How is that done without multiple accounts or against the specific limits set by LEGO?  I'm not trying to be a goody too shoes here, I'm just making the point that buying techniques like his will hurt all investors and resellers in the future...if it already hasn't. 

Those exclusives are limit 5 per order on LEGO Shop at Home. Make 10 orders and you have your 50. Seems straightforward to me. Why would you need multiple accounts?

Those exclusives are limit 5 per order on LEGO Shop at Home. Make 10 orders and you have your 50. Seems straightforward to me. Why would you need multiple accounts?

I cannot remember for sure, but I think Lego does not reset items with a "household" limit. Either way, they will not let you order 5 sets and just rinse and repeat right away. But it's not that difficult as other have said, and with the exclusives no longer being discounted, it might eventually have a backfire effect to Lego, although minor. People will not longer wait for a discount, so it actually would be easier to accumulate them since it wouldn't matter waiting.

As to the original post, those who are amazed at the quantity of sets he has just need to realize it's all relevant. You have $300, I have $1000 and another person has $3000 to invest. You might buy 2 sets, I might be able to buy 5 and the last guy can get 20. How is this possible? Simple, just different circumstances. Why do most teens get a used car at 17 and a guy who is 40 can get a new Corvette? Same principle. It seems like most who ooh and aah are young and just don't understand.

But at the same time, if you make a post that shows off how many of this and that you have(especially if no one even asked) and how mush money you've made or are making, you should also set the pattern for following the legal rules of taxes or just don't talk about them at all. After all, he posted in the first place, so he opened the door to every post in this thread. 

Pacific and DoNot (and anyone else who knows), when do the "newer" exclusives tend to hit Amazon, or is it (ha ha) hit and miss? (Arkham Asylums and Ewok Villages are on my target list for mid-November, and I see I can get AAs at retail on Amazon, but no EVs yet.)

It seems like it has been about 2-3 months, but not absolutely sure. Ewok is already on TRUs site so I feel like it wont be long. AA is on Target.

I cannot remember for sure, but I think Lego does not reset items with a "household" limit. Either way, they will not let you order 5 sets and just rinse and repeat right away. 

LEGO Shop at Home makes no mention of household limit, just per order limit. Do they restrict back to back orders? I have not tried. All I have heard are stories of a few folks getting blacklisted but those were also coupled with large and frequent instore purchases. Anyone have any first hand experience with being banned soley for repeat LEGO Shop at Home orders or are we just guessing it may happen?

I've made mention of this before on another topic regarding large resellers.

I think that in the long run, this idea of limits and whatnot not to be a bad thing for Lego.  I say this because in the whole grand scheme of the market, large reseller are a small portion, however, large resellers can also disrupt the market. (Take for example the 41999.)

Granted it would be a little more difficult considering the fact that no one truly knows the production limits of any given set.  For instance (this could be a long shot but you never know), with the Live Star...  Who's to say that Lego only sells one a month but keeps producing it to give the perception that it's HUGELY popular, but what also could be said if they continue to sells hundreds, if not thousands a month and are continuing to produce to hurt the secondary market.

I think large resellers could are are starting to paint a big target on their head by these obvious buying tactics.  Sure Lego likes to get a sell, but large resellers are almost indirectly their competition.

And then as some people have issues, just like I do, skirting the buying limits of online and instore purchases and using over avenues to skirt such rules is just lame.  Sure it's not exactly illegal, but it's really not fair either.

I don't knock the secondary market, but it can easily backfire even worse for some people.

I will be extremely short on the subject of taxes, but according to US law, ANY and I mean ANY amount of profit on anything is supposed to be claimed.  For instance, if I bought a piece of furniture for $10 ten years ago, and then resold it for $30 today, I legally would have to report a $20 profit to the IRS...  Even if it's a cash transaction.  It's obscure and almost impossible to track but it is there in the books.  So regardless of the 20K/200 limit, it doesn't matter, any profit has to legally be claimed.

• Like 1

Those exclusives are limit 5 per order on S@H. Make 10 orders and you have your 50. Seems straightforward to me. Why would you need multiple accounts?

S@H makes no mention of household limit, just per order limit. Do they restrict back to back orders? I have not tried. All I have heard are stories of a few folks getting blacklisted but those were also coupled with large and frequent instore purchases. Anyone have any first hand experience with being banned soley for repeat S@H orders or are we just guessing it may happen?

I spoke with customer service and orders are getting audited now. People have been banned online and in store. LEGO is serious about their limits. If you think it is as simple as 10 separate orders of 5 sets each than you really need to pay attention.

I've made mention of this before on another topic regarding large resellers.

I think that in the long run, this idea of limits and whatnot not to be a bad thing for Lego.  I say this because in the whole grand scheme of the market, large reseller are a small portion, however, large resellers can also disrupt the market. (Take for example the 41999.)

Granted it would be a little more difficult considering the fact that no one truly knows the production limits of any given set.  For instance (this could be a long shot but you never know), with the Live Star...  Who's to say that Lego only sells one a month but keeps producing it to give the perception that it's HUGELY popular, but what also could be said if they continue to sells hundreds, if not thousands a month and are continuing to produce to hurt the secondary market.

I think large resellers could are are starting to paint a big target on their head by these obvious buying tactics.  Sure Lego likes to get a sell, but large resellers are almost indirectly their competition.

And then as some people have issues, just like I do, skirting the buying limits of online and instore purchases and using over avenues to skirt such rules is just lame.  Sure it's not exactly illegal, but it's really not fair either.

I don't knock the secondary market, but it can easily backfire even worse for some people.

I will be extremely short on the subject of taxes, but according to US law, ANY and I mean ANY amount of profit on anything is supposed to be claimed.  For instance, if I bought a piece of furniture for $10 ten years ago, and then resold it for $30 today, I legally would have to report a $20 profit to the IRS...  Even if it's a cash transaction.  It's obscure and almost impossible to track but it is there in the books.  So regardless of the 20K/200 limit, it doesn't matter, any profit has to legally be claimed.

Azalon likes your post and hopes you post more often.

I spoke with customer service and orders are getting audited now. People have been banned online and in store. LEGO is serious about their limits. If you think it is as simple as 10 separate orders of 5 sets each than you really need to pay attention.

Do we have hard evidence? I know orders over $99 get reviewed but I am interested in what activity would result in a ban. I learned a long time ago not to give any weight to statements made by lego customer service. Some firsthand experience would be nice. Any members on this board been banned for LEGO Shop at Home orders or had repeat limit orders cancelled?

Question for emazers if he chooses to answer back on the topic of the thread (although I am enjoying the tax discussion too). I am more interested in learning how you determine which of the Exclusives you will focus on. I don't see you mention the Horizon Express train, Sopwith Camel, Technic, Modulars, etc, as much. Just wondering if there is some conscious choice applied to not focus on them, and if so, why.

Dear MODS,

Is it possible to split the tax discussions (minus any evasion information) to a different thread ? While I did not really care about what emazers (or other members) did (or did not do) with their inventories, I found the taxes / accounting informations from these past few pages could be beneficial for other members. Additionally, the tax discussions would be on topic on that new thread and would not derail other "on topic" discussions on this thread.

We should also put a big disclaimer on the top: INFORMATION PURPOSE ONLY. INDVIDUAL DETAILS VARY. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR ACCOUNTANTS FOR MORE INFORMATION !!!

Thanks

ETA: My 1000th post was a request to MODS. lol :D

Do we have hard evidence? I know orders over $99 get reviewed but I am interested in what activity would result in a ban. I learned a long time ago not to give any weight to statements made by lego customer service. Some firsthand experience would be nice. Any members on this board been banned for S@H orders or had repeat limit orders cancelled?

Yes...I know for a fact that two high profile resellers that were banned from online and in store sales.  These were emazers types.  Also, I have a direct quote from a LEGO representative...

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/5378-lego-makes-a-statement-on-lego-investing-and-resellers/

There have been dozens of people banned on these forums, some from in store and some online.  If you buy multiples on LEGO S@H, even under their "allowed" amount, you risk getting banned.

Dear MODS,

Is it possible to split the tax discussions (minus any evasion information) to a different thread ? While I did not really care about what emazers (or other members) did (or did not do) with their inventories, I found the taxes / accounting informations from these past few pages could be beneficial for other members. Additionally, the tax discussions would be on topic on that new thread and would not derail other "on topic" discussions on this thread.

We should also put a big disclaimer on the top: INFORMATION PURPOSE ONLY. INDVIDUAL DETAILS VARY. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR ACCOUNTANTS FOR MORE INFORMATION !!!

Thanks

ETA: My 1000th post was a request to MODS. lol  :D

Done - and happy 1000th post!

• Like 1