Why does Emazers buy 40-50 sets or more of one set!!!!!!!

emazers

Well since my name is poping up alot about why I buy 40 - 60 sets of one item. Now I am not a Collector, and never stated that i had more sets than most of you guys, but when I started buy lego it was always for investment, and once I got a Wholesale account well buying 20-30 and even 50 cases of the 6210 Orginal Jabba Sail barge, 3 to a case thats 150 Sets, 25 cases of the 6211 Star Destroyer, and in 2010 and 2011 the 6210 was selling for $300-400 and since wholesale was about $50 a piece  i made tons a money, I had plenty cases of all the Harry Potter Castles, Trains, etc. What about the First batman, well with the Batcave and batmobile, More big money, Indiana Jones sets, Plenty cases of the Snow Speeder, Cloud City cases, and the 7676 GunshipThere are plenty more, as for the Exclusives, I had about 8-10 Big falcons 10179, still have Statue of Liberty's, 10 Carousels, 12 Eiffer Towers, 10134 Y-wings, 10143 Death Stars and many other, take the Imperial Flagship & Remote At At, Why everybody did load up on these, plus many of the other Exclusives, If I would of not sold any of these sure I would have many more sets, but with about the 1100 or 1200 sets I have, plus the older big buck Exclusives I have are at my sons house, and thats about 200 pure gold sets, and how many of you wish you had 50 Imperial shuttles, 50 each of the Black Pearl and Queen Revenge, and 40 Potter 4842 Castles, 50 Potter Diagon Alley's I wish I would have gotten100 of all these sets. Plus I still have 20 AT AT 8129 sets, 15 Dropships 10195,  15 -10198 sets. Now you guys look at all your sets now how many of you say to yourself why did I buy all those cheap sets that will never be worth much, Now I have had about 20 guys Email me and say they wish they didn't buy half the cheap sets that they did, and I am sure there are plenty more that wish they didn't buy half the stuff. Now if its for your Collection thats great. And on the haunted Houses, well I had 40 last week, since then I got 11 more. Now take 98% of Exclusives from the last 7 Years they are pulling in the big money. So anybody thinks the HH,TB,R2-D2,Ewok Village, And the Death Star and SSD, and other ones that you can buy now are going to regret not having as many as you can afford, Most say I will wait til they are retiring, well thats OK if you are only buying 1-5 sets say, but if you want alot waiting is a bad idea, say the Death Star or SSD were retiring Dec, how many of you could afford to buy 10 or more, and Like I said before these 2 are going to rise fast in price once they do retiring. So I have made plenty of money and always will on the sets I have and will keep buying. So I don't care about that some of you guys like to make comments about what I buy, and when I get the sets I box them up, but I still have a few hundred still not boxed up yet. So my advice you want to make big money and can afford to buy and wait, Watch on what you buy. "And Pay Cash, or if you charge it be sure you can pay the whole bill off when it comes, or you will loose money big time with finace charges.''      Ed

• Like 4

Ed, anyone who is opinionated is going to get flack sometimes. Ask me how I know.  :rofl:

You're generous with your time and knowledge, you have a winning formula, and you don't like messing with smaller sets and can't see why anyone else would want to, either.

But there are reasons, from diversification to cash flow (in or out) to flexibility that may cause other people to make difference decisions, and those decisions aren't as dumb as you make them sound.

The fact that I bought a mixture of small and large sets to start my investing meant that when I decided I wasn't quite financially ready to sit and hold on the scale I wanted to, I was able to jump start a different segment of the Lego business on eBay and Brick Link more easily and lucratively than if I had invested every cent in, say, Haunted Houses.

I hope you'll continue to share your considerable knowledge - I have absolutely learned things from you and will no doubt use even more of that when I do start up investing again - but the reason for your name being bandied about is your posting style, which comes off very "my way or the highway".

I post this without malice - your style doesn't bother me at all.

Just wondering how hard it is to be able to buy lego wholesale. I currently run a smallish self-made toy company named ToyBonanza on Amazon. I currently by stuff from Entertainment Earth wholesale, but they do not sell Legos. I have just gotten into the Lego resale market from buying them up at clearance sales and flipping them. I had heard from somewhere else on another forum that you had to have an initial purchase of $10,000 in order for them to consider you for wholesale. However, they didn't go into whether every purchase had to be done like that. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to buy this stuff wholesale and flip half and keep half for investment. 

Can you shed a little light on the wholesale requirements?

Guest TabbyBoy

I thought you have to buy 75% of the range that Lego produces to qualify as a wholesaler.  75% is a big number considering there are duffers out there?

I don't think ED comes off wrong at all. He has been selling Legos since 1998 or later and has a lot of experience and wisdom. I think he enjoys helping people out and believes what he has to say is meaningful.

If I was confident in my lego inventment strategy I would be confident and consistent in what I said as well  but I am a noob at Lego inventment so I keep quiet.

Emazers, thanks for all your advice on these forums.

Darrell

• Like 1

Ed, you owe no one an explanation of anything you do.  Whatever works for you is great. If people like it, good, if people don't, its their choice. When you sell for $10 million, make sure you put something in the Brickpicker cookie jar.

Just reading this topic name all that came to my mind was.....because he wants to...leave the guy alone.

I tend to agree with your POVs guys. While the Emazer`s way is not the only way, there is certainly nothing wrong with it. It`s obvious that everyone has a different method in this game, and if someone is going about investing different from yourself, so what? That goes both ways. Let them do their thing  :thumbsup:

What does one have to do to acquire/be eligible for a wholesale account?

Wondering the same thing. 

I don't think ED comes off wrong at all. He has been selling Legos since 1998 or later and has a lot of experience and wisdom. I think he enjoys helping people out and believes what he has to say is meaningful.

If I believed something in an Lego investment strongly I would confident and consistent in what I said as well on these forums but I am a noob at Lego inventment.

Thanks for all your advice on these forums Emazers.

Darrell

Well put! I`m grateful for many of the tips Emazers has shared as well. And will continue to be, should he choose to continue to be generous with his knowledge. A round of applause is in order  :goodjob:

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

I tend to agree with your POVs guys. While the Emazer`s way is not the only way, there is certainly nothing wrong with it. It`s obvious that everyone has a different method in this game, and if someone is going about investing different from yourself, so what? That goes both ways. Let them do their thing  :thumbsup:

Haters are gonna hate!  Ed keep doing what you do best.................stacking bricks of cash rather than bricks of Lego :)

Just reading this topic name all that came to my mind was.....because he wants to...leave the guy alone.

Ed, you owe no one an explanation of anything you do.  Whatever works for you is great. If people like it, good, if people don't, its their choice. When you sell for $10 million, make sure you put something in the Brickpicker cookie jar.

Exactly, well said guys. Emazers is an awesome member and his knowledge and views are always appreciated, and shouldn't have to give a reason to why he does what he does (which is really simple: because it works for him). I'm sure if I had the money I would be right there with him... pushing out a caravan of carts filled with sets to the car :D

I know you box them up right away, but 50 of one set also looks a lot neater in pictures when all the boxes are lined up.  I would up it, if I were you.  I would buy 100 of each set.  It's easier to figure profits if you just have to multiply by 100 or when putting data into a spreadsheet or on this site.  And, you can more easily buy shipping boxes for the exact number of products you have.  If you have 45 or 84 of one set, you are wasting time with complex computations and left over shipping boxes.  100 of a set is an impressive number, and I will most likely never reach that amount; however, to be a very impressive number, you will have to get at least 1,000 of one set, and not a battlepack.  Imagine having 1,000 SSD or Haunted Houses!  The number is huge.  The space they take up will huge.   The cost of buying them will be huge.  But, realistically, when you have to compute sales or profits or even map out space for storage, all you have to do is add 3 zeros.  

I think it's great you have 50 of the awesome sets.  But I think that is just smart investing x50.  Nothing to see here; move along.  If you ever do get to the 100's or 1000's, then people should start speculating on your pure awesomeness or craziness.

I make Jokes a lot of times about your collection Ed - Hope you know all of my comments are out of utmost respect. I wish I had the kind of capital you do and I am with you on the bigger sets for the people who can afford it. Plus making an SSD out of SSD's is everyones dream,.

I have a few small sets, but I really do investing with exclusives and big sets because I want to lessen the transaction amount per big money.

E's post are always helpful if even not 100% applicable to my situation.  

That's the way I feel too.  Emazers is always very helpful and I dig the pics of his loot piles.  I just can't pass up 50% clearance items most of the time, because they lead to shorter term profit that can be rolled into longer term profit.

• Like 2

Felt the need to chime in here since the truth is getting a little distorted, and not precisely by Emazers. I have not seen anyone asking Ed why he buys only 50 copies of each set instead of purchasing a broader range of sizes and styles. the only mention about buying 50 copies of one set was made by Ed M., not asking or criticizing Emazers for doing so, but just saying that he personally does not invest in that way.

Now, it is pretty clear that Emazers strategy works great for him, as well as for any other members that have the capital, storage space and patience to invest in a similar fashion. I think is great that people like Ed share their experience and investment results with all of us in the forums, but that does not mean we are all just supposed to follow the same strategy because it works for some people. As Frog mentioned, we all are in different situations that require us to plan and invest in the way that we think best.

Again, NO ONE is hating on emazers or his strategy, I honestly don't know where that came from. If anything, some people seem to look down to those of us who CHOOSE to invest differently rather than the other way around.

Emazers is awesome, and pretty reputable when it comes to buying larger sets. I just can't agree with him here. Yes, money is to be made on the larger sets, but the wait time is often way longer. I buy plenty of sets in the large range and plenty in the small range. I usually triple my money much faster on small sets and am therefore allowed to increase my purchasing even faster. I buy quite a few big sets as well, but small sets are just so easy to flip quickly for a nice chunk of profit/change! 

Edit: and it's also so different with a wholesale account..

• Like 2