Why does Emazers buy 40-50 sets or more of one set!!!!!!!

emazers

I make Jokes a lot of times about your collection Ed - Hope you know all of my comments are out of utmost respect. I wish I had the kind of capital you do and I am with you on the bigger sets for the people who can afford it. Plus making an SSD out of SSD's is everyones dream,.

I have a few small sets, but I really do investing with exclusives and big sets because I want to lessen the transaction amount per big money.

The only thing that is perhaps better than an SSD built of of SSDs is a Taj Mahal built out of Taj Mahals. Even then, I`m still leaning toward SSDs  :devil:

Now you guys look at all your sets now how many of you say to yourself why did I buy all those cheap sets that will never be worth much, Now I have had about 20 guys Email me and say they wish they didn't buy half the cheap sets that they did, and I am sure there are plenty more that wish they didn't buy half the stuff.

I'm used to hearing the rest of your ever repeating record of an investment strategy but this rhetoric right here has gotten old and stale with flies buzzing around it, and why are people emailing you with some sob story about their purchases? That bored I guess. Also, I'm wondering what exactly is your idea of a cheap set anyway? Considering you only purchase the biggest ticket exclusives yet at the same time bought a bunch of the 'cheap' Funhouse Escape.
  • Like 3

Emazers is awesome, and pretty reputable when it comes to buying larger sets. I just can't agree with him here. Yes, money is to be made on the larger sets, but the wait time is often way longer. I buy plenty of sets in the large range and plenty in the small range. I usually triple my money much faster on small sets and am therefore allowed to increase my purchasing even faster. I buy quite a few big sets as well, but small sets are just so easy to flip quickly for a nice chunk of profit/change! 

Edit: and it's also so different with a wholesale account..

You have a store too though. Definitely makes a difference - easier to flip small stuff.

Ed where do you sell most of your stuff?

I'm used to hearing the rest of your ever repeating record of an investment strategy but this rhetoric right here has gotten old and stale with flies buzzing around it, and why are people emailing you with some sob story about their purchases? That bored I guess. 

<rant>

My thoughts exactly. This is probably the second thread like this, this month, and the fifth or sixth or more thread about buying a lot of a single set, and saying how people are sorry for buying tiny sets. 

I think one big reason why some people don't "buying 40-50 or more of one set!!!!!!!!" is because we are not in the same economical boat as you, and we don't seem to have the same purpose as you. Something new in your main post was that you are in this for the money, only. Now I don't have a problem with that, but I think you need to understand that we are not all here just for the money. Multiple active members have said that they are here just to fund a hobby, whether that means buying 10 sets different sets, or 500 of the same sets. </rant>

• Like 1

There are many ways to make money investing in LEGO sets. Ed never pretended to be a big collector or even fan of LEGO, but his system works for him. I respect his effort and time he puts into the site. I would still like to know how one becomes an independent LEGO retailer.

I stated many times before buying Lego sets wholesale is over, Lego cancelled just about everybody that had an account like me buying just the big sets, and exclusives were not included, and I have said before to get a wholesale account you need to show proof that you have a business, and you have to carry 75% of the Lego Themes and that includes all the sets. So who wants all the $10-20-30 sets, So they were the good old days, but I think the bigger money is in The Exclusives, and as for buying other sets besides 51 haunted Houses, and the 40 other different sets I have or so, I am buying other sets, but 85% will be the Exclusives hard to find sets. Now I am 64, in 5 years I plan on having most of the exclusives and at least 20 or more of each, so all the Exclusives out today should be retired, so I be sitting on big money. So out 70 years old I will start cashing in on the big bucks sets, plus its going to take a while to sell all my stuff, I want to try and make sure most is sold before I get to old or die. since this post I have had more emails from guys saying that it was a mistake buying hundreds of small sets that they thought they would make lots of money, which now they no it will never happen, Now the guys that no what to buy and flip most of the time, well thats good. I just don't understand why people would think the HH,TB and the other Exclusives won't double or Triple there money down the road.     Ed

I'm curious to know what "small sets" these guys were buying, what they paid for them, and what they were expecting to make off of them.  I make tons of money every year selling the small and medium sets.  Exclusives are nice if you have the time to sit around and wait, and can afford to keep the capital tied up, but there's plenty of money to made on the smaller stuff if you know what to buy and when to buy it.

• Like 4

If someone has a personal opinion about how to invest and believes other strategies are "weak" don't take so much offense. Argue for your position and join  your debate.

This isn't cultural tolerance sensitive forum...Argue for your investment strategy. We don't have to love all investment strategies.

All of this "everyone is right" with their investment strategy seems like weaksauce toleranace sensitivity BS to me.

In academic circles we don't say "everyone is right, lets all love everyone's point of view"

I approach Lego investing the same as I do with the stock market.  I do not take big risks.  I try to invest in the exclusives like the HH and 41999 because I know the ROI will be significant.  The key is being patient and willing to wait for these sets to grow over time.  If I had the money I would purchase the larger exclusives like the SSD and Death Star but I do not and will not put myself into debt to purchase these.  I buy what I can afford and will use the money I make in a year or two to invest in exclusive sets like the Ewok Village when it is closer to EOL.

Now I did not say I don't have any small sets, I have and Think the Funhouse,Orc Forge, The Gathering and at $20-40 at Walmarts months ago, The Batcave and Olivia's House and the Dolphin Cruiser should all do pretty good, as buying Cheap Lousy sets, well Cars sets, lot of the City sets, Toy Story, and those Persia sets, Galaxy and others guys have stated, buying the small clearance sets. "Like I said I only Posted this to state why I buy that many, and Before lego changing there Lego Wholesale Policy, like I said I was selling the sets fast to and making big fast money. So not complaining about what anybody says on these Post, I like hearing what people have say about everything. So I hope everybody on here that sells stuff I hope we all make money.   Ed

I stated many times before buying Lego sets wholesale is over, Lego cancelled just about everybody that had an account like me buying just the big sets, and exclusives were not included, and I have said before to get a wholesale account you need to show proof that you have a business, and you have to carry 75% of the Lego Themes and that includes all the sets. So who wants all the $10-20-30 sets, So they were the good old days, but I think the bigger money is in The Exclusives, and as for buying other sets besides 51 haunted Houses, and the 40 other different sets I have or so, I am buying other sets, but 85% will be the Exclusives hard to find sets. Now I am 64, in 5 years I plan on having most of the exclusives and at least 20 or more of each, so all the Exclusives out today should be retired, so I be sitting on big money. So out 70 years old I will start cashing in on the big bucks sets, plus its going to take a while to sell all my stuff, I want to try and make sure most is sold before I get to old or die. since this post I have had more emails from guys saying that it was a mistake buying hundreds of small sets that they thought they would make lots of money, which now they no it will never happen, Now the guys that no what to buy and flip most of the time, well thats good. I just don't understand why people would think the HH,TB and the other Exclusives won't double or Triple there money down the road.     Ed

How do you sell your sets? Are you a power seller on ebay? I would image its hard to sell 50-100+ sets of the same item in a short period of time? .. Also where did you get a wholesale account? Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!

Well I have bought some sets that I regret, but nothing that I will loose my sleep about, probably $700-$800 dollars in not soo good sets , and I bought them because they were really cheap !!   But ......  I am in Mexico, so if I buy cheap in the US, lets say the Kmart 50% sale or the Walmart clearence that just passed, I easily double my money in a matter of days, regular MSRP in Mexico is 40% higher that in the states, so I have a good 90%  to take advantage !

And regarding the small sets, there is money to be made as well,  for example , I am selling 21103's in $85..........Why, because Lego does not carry Cuusoo or Any exclusives in Mexico.....

• Like 1

Don't worry, made over $80,000 but only have about 144 Paypal Transactions, Don't worry I keep track

It doesn't matter if PayPal issues you a 1099 or not - you still have earnings you are required to report on your tax return or face penalties, interest, and in the case of not reporting the income at all, possible incarceration for tax evasion.

Don't take my word on it - go see an accountant. And please don't mislead anyone here into thinking that it's legal or otherwise okay to not report your income so long as you stay under that $20,000/200 transaction mark.

• Like 3

Only reason I stay away from some smaller sets is the risk factor. I think its much harder to know these are going to do well. While i know that the HH or TB will. Someone name an exclusive item that didn't do well?

I do grab some smaller sets, but I usually flip them more. I only go for the slightly obvious - the Wolverine set, uruk hai, and captain america. 

It doesn't matter if PayPal issues you a 1099 or not - you still have earnings you are required to report on your tax return or face penalties, interest, and in the case of not reporting the income at all, possible incarceration for tax evasion.

Don't take my word on it - go see an accountant. And please don't mislead anyone here into thinking that it's legal or otherwise okay to not report your income so long as you stay under that $20,000/200 transaction mark.

I agree with your statement. Only thing I will say is some people avoid this for another reason - how they claim money on their return. Its hard to be able to file a schedule D when you get a 1099 for over 20 thousand (which I will).

Even though I am going to classify my earnings as a business, i do more buy and hold than anything. But my tax consultant told me it isn't worth the IRS trouble to try and explain Lego being a buy and hold item. He said with a 1099 and as many transactions as I had, it just looked like a business.

Nothing like a bit of friendly advice to bring out the quips and the know-it-alls. I can't imagine why so many heavy-hitters are quiet or gone... Seriously guys... If you don't have anything nice to type, do it somewhere else.

It is annoying. I don't understand the lack of respect some people display. There are ways of very politely and respectfully disagreeing with someone. There is however no need for making comments about the way someone writes a post, or the way they talk, or who they are.

Goes back to the same thing we were all told when we were younger. the people who are the most critical are the people who hate themselves the most. Hope you all are having fun with that.