Inquire from the seller or let it go?

So I am always posing these complicated Ebay paradox' here (not). In all serious, I think I know what how I want to handle this one, but I want to get some others opinions.

Background:

Bought a POTC Black Pearl - it was $125 plus calculated shipping (damaged box) so it was a pretty sweet deal.

Shipping was listed as Priority USPS - it came out to close to $25 because the person lived in California

I bought it about 4 weeks ago. 4 days after the purchase (3 days after the handling time), the seller contacted me explaining they had to go on vacation and didn't expect it to sell so fast so they couldn't send it until they got back. They offered a refund. Since I purchase stuff constantly anyway, I told them I wasn't worried about it because it wasn't a gift or anything like that.

So a week later I get a message saying its shipped from Ebay. After 5 USPS business days, I checked and it was still in Oregon. Turns out they paid parcel post, which was about $13ish most likely. So it arrived 20 days outside of the time limit from the beginning.

Now I am leaning towards just letting it go. However, with calculated shipping, its a little irritating that it would be set for priority to cost more money and then still sent the slower method.

So how would you all handle it? I normally let everything go - which is why I have lately been trying to be more assertive if I need to be. How we work with a seller can help how they interact with others in the future.

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd ask for a partial refund and always try to resolve first before leaving feedback.  A lot of sellers try to claw back final value and PayPal fees through postage fraud.  When I get a parcel, I look at the price on the shipping label or go to the courier's website to check.  I allow about +25% over to allow for a little packing time and packaging costs.  At this time, I only buy from the UK and I already have a mental record of Royal Mail charges.

i don't think its a big deal to make money off of postage fees. after all you did agree to pay that price.However, if the seller charged you for priority, and shipped standard, that is uncool and a refund for the difference should be given. i personally do the opposite, i charge for standard and ship priority, as a result i have lots of "fast shipping!" feedbacks.

• Like 1