Lord of the Rings 2014

Grima Wormtongue is in the Tower of Orthanc set, so he's covered.  I could really care less if they make Denethor, as he doesn't really add much to the film outside of jumping to his death after trying to kill Faramir.

Oh, I didn't know that. Anyway yeah, Denethor isn't really improtant (plus I'm sure they'll eventually make a Human Torch minfig... We can just sub that in for him :thumbsup: )

• Like 1

Personally, I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the rumors (though they are listed on half a dozen sites, it's all from some random...), and also have mixed feelings about those sets (the "12.99" sounds very boring. Galadriel would be nice, but lame otherwise). If those ARe real though, I would still expect 1-3 more sets (limited edition, exlusives, ect. all take a few more months to be known. - with star wars at least...). Anyway, the things I see that MUST be made (to finish up what we're missing I mean) are;

If you still doubt the legitimacy of the rumors... or better said FACTS;

83304f4b-6187-4e1b-85fb-244abeb3f7cc.jpg

Those boxes say the Hobbit on them.  Weren't the rumors for LOTR specific sets?  I'm not saying they aren't coming but this just confirms another wave of Hobbit sets for the last movie.

The rumored sets were always just that, rumors.  When the numbered sets came out, folks assumed LotR since they had a October release, which doesn't coincide with the movie release.  It appears they are, in fact, There and Back Again sets, which bothers me.  I'm really hopeful that another wave of LotR comes out, but it's looking more and more bleak as time goes on.  It will be a travesty to anyone that loves LotR Lego and doesn't get squat from Gondor, but Lego has left out important scenes from movies before, like Indiana Jones.

• Like 1

FOUR MORE SETS!! FOUR MORE SETS!! :clapping:

lol :)

Sadly those are Hobbit sets....

Must say I am yet to see a great Hobbit set if we exclude Bag End....  

We shall see what the 130$ flag ship of Hobbit brings now that LOTR is over as it looks...

Might be worth to Stock Orthanc...

• Like 1

lol :)

Sadly those are Hobbit sets....

Must say I am yet to see a great Hobbit set if we exclude Bag End....  

We shall see what the 130$ flag ship of Hobbit brings now that LOTR is over as it looks...

Might be worth to Stock Orthanc...

If there is no LOTR wave this year I'd think we are looking at a Harry Potter sitch - the license has a definite end point sooner rather than later.  With no LOTR summer sets (still may come, even though nothing firm leaked yet...) it might be possible that all the LOTR sets that will ever be made have been made.  If I knew my license ran until 201X, the year before I'd pump out all the sets I could to sell the following year.

I cannot imagine that TLC will not issue 3rd wave of LOTR. There is a lot of key characters and scenes, which CANNOT be ignored - Minas Tirith battle, Galadier, Eowyn, Gondor soldiers...

I think they gave priority to 3rd wave Hobbit, because TLC wants to stay in touch with Hobbit movies and capitalize Hobbit movies boom. LOTR can wait, since all movies were produced years ago. I expect that 3rd wave of LOTR will come in the end of 2014 and it will be the final wave of LOTR/Hobbit world.

I cannot imagine that TLC will not issue 3rd wave of LOTR. There is a lot of key characters and scenes, which CANNOT be ignored - Minas Tirith battle, Galadier, Eowyn, Gondor soldiers...

I think they gave priority to 3rd wave Hobbit, because TLC wants to stay in touch with Hobbit movies and capitalize Hobbit movies boom. LOTR can wait, since all movies were produced years ago. I expect that 3rd wave of LOTR will come in the end of 2014 and it will be the final wave of LOTR/Hobbit world.

I hope you are correct, but as others have pointed out, themes like Indiana Jones had (to us investors/collectors) ample key scenes that should have been made but weren't.

I hope you are correct, but as others have pointed out, themes like Indiana Jones had (to us investors/collectors) ample key scenes that should have been made but weren't.

But in Indiana Jones were all main characters produced. If they finish LOTR, they will ignore some of main characters, not only the scenes. It is out of logic to ignore main part of 3rd LOTR movie.

Guest eightbrick

Yes, but including Pirate Ship Ambush would be like making the last large Indiana Jones set his archaeology classroom or the last Star Wars release as the TaunTaun grooming room. And skipping out on 60% of the other important stuff.

Indiana Jones didn't really give us any sets that we were really scratching our heads over as they were all recognizable scenes. A ship that appears for a couple minutes in the extended version and like 30 seconds in the normal version isn't exactly memorable. I usually try to go with the filler-wave idea that Lego could afford to give us these less popular scenes because they have the major ones in development (Balrog, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, etc.). It's like getting a license to produce baseball sets and giving fans a hotdog stand. That said, if they were going the filler-wave route poor sales could have killed the planned waves. Is LOTR selling poorly? I'm not sure but it certainly isn't TLG's worst theme. I know we can seem like a broken record using Pirate Ambush as exhibit A again and again but that was seriously one of the most puzzling licensed releases ever. The rest of the line was a bit better, but not a huge success. I'll go with cautiously optimistic, but I agree with most people that hope is waning every day we don't get news.

Does anyone know how long TLG has the license?  Does it extend into 2015 or is 2014 it?  I am really hoping for another wave of LOTR, but it doesn't look good so far. 

For what it is worth, I spoke with the manager of my closet Lego store last week about LOTR. He said he expected 1 more wave at least, and that currently the only sets to remain available would be the newest Hobbit line up. The first part when I hear it sounded like it was worth mentioning, the last I`m not so sure. Why would Lego retire the LOTR wave from last summer so soon? Didn`t bother asking that, as I didn`t want to give away that I know quite a bit more then I let on.  :angel:

I can't imagine that TLG would end the LOTR.  It is a pretty good theme, all things considered.  I can't imagine what they will ultimately replace it with.  Although, not to start a new thread, I've been doing some thinking.  The licensed themes that could be out for the next few years could be.

2014: Star Wars (of course), LOTR/The Hobbit, DC/Marvel, TMNT, The Simpsons, Disney Themes

2015: Star Wars (I would expect a lot of Star Wars sets this year), Pirates of the Caribbean, DC/Marvel, Disney Themes

2016: Star Wars (More sets with the movie), Jurassic Park (Slated for a summer 2016 release now), DC/Marvel, Disney Themes

2017: Star Wars, HARRY POTTER!!!, DC/Marvel, Disney Themes

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few other themes have a comeback in that time, probably a pirates theme soon, I'm sure a general castle theme too.  I can't think of what else they might do.

I can't imagine that TLG would end the LOTR.  It is a pretty good theme, all things considered.  I can't imagine what they will ultimately replace it with.  Although, not to start a new thread, I've been doing some thinking.  The licensed themes that could be out for the next few years could be.

2014: Star Wars (of course), LOTR/The Hobbit, DC/Marvel, TMNT, The Simpsons, Disney Themes

2015: Star Wars (I would expect a lot of Star Wars sets this year), Pirates of the Caribbean, DC/Marvel, Disney Themes

2016: Star Wars (More sets with the movie), Jurassic Park (Slated for a summer 2016 release now), DC/Marvel, Disney Themes

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few other themes have a comeback in that time, probably a pirates theme soon, I'm sure a general castle theme too.  I can't think of what else they might do.

Funny you mentioned that.  I was just thinking LEGO has way too many themes (licensed or not) going on for 2014.  They have to drop something as pretty soon they will be running out of shelf spaces to display all new sets.

Simpsons isn't really a theme.  It's a single D2C set(house) and a line of Minifigures.  Disney Princess doesn't even go in the same aisle, as it's with the Friends sets over by the Barbies.  I think the main theme that is eating up shelf space is Lego Movie.  With the giant set release, and more on the way, they are using up a lot of shelf space with this singular line. 

I must disagree... Harry Potter and POTC are dead themes (the books and movies of HP are over in my opinion, the POTC was not succesful, so there is no reason to go back to this theme). Disney princess is a special cathegory for Friends - I wouldnt mix it with other, classic licenced themes.

In my opinion TLC can easy live without LOTR theme, they dont need to replace it by something new. We live many years with classic castle themes and were happy. I think after LOTR (2015, 2016) is a right time to come back to Kingdoms, which developed into a perfect theme with many nice buildings, which absented in previous castle themes (mill, exclusives such as market, joust, etc). Also the fantasy castle was perfect. Actual Castle theme is not only 1 step, but 10 steps back - horrible figs, colors, simplification of buildings, awful colors, etc. I consider this simply Castle theme as an alternative to sophisticated LOTR/Hobbit theme, which could be complicated for smaller children. I hope this horrible Castle will go to the past soon. It would be a tragedy, if TLC - after LOTR end - will continue with Castle and burn sophisticated building procedures, which TLC used in LOTR, Kingdoms joust, Medieval market. There is so much perfect themes in Castle world (medieval village, bigger castles, exclusives alternatives of classic castle sets, etc). There is also many other themes, which are similar to Castle, and are sleeping, or were never adapted - I am dreaming about ancient antique themes (greeks, romans, egyptians), which would bring wonderful sets and figs for many years (greek temple, gladiator games, coloseum, pyramids, ships, etc). I hope that many antique figs in CMF series (roman soldiers, spartans, gladiator, cleopatra, barbarians, etc) is a small prediction to this new theme, which was never issued by TLC.

From eurobricks member:

Hi guys. I have been lurking on this forum for a while now. I just went ahead and emailed TLG via their contact us link on lego.com. Here is their reply copied from my email:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us.
At this time we are not certain on whether or not we will be continuing the Lord of the Rings

Disappointing news about Smaug from The Brick Fan:

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

Smaug will be a similar size to the dragon in the Dragon Mountain (70403) set. The Witch King will also make an appearance and will glow in the dark. Elrond makes a return and looks similar to the polybag version from the LOTR game pre-order bonus.

• Like 1

I must disagree... Harry Potter and POTC are dead themes (the books and movies of HP are over in my opinion, the POTC was not succesful, so there is no reason to go back to this theme). Disney princess is a special cathegory for Friends - I wouldnt mix it with other, classic licenced themes.

In my opinion TLC can easy live without LOTR theme, they dont need to replace it by something new. We live many years with classic castle themes and were happy. I think after LOTR (2015, 2016) is a right time to come back to Kingdoms, which developed into a perfect theme with many nice buildings, which absented in previous castle themes (mill, exclusives such as market, joust, etc). Also the fantasy castle was perfect. Actual Castle theme is not only 1 step, but 10 steps back - horrible figs, colors, simplification of buildings, awful colors, etc. I consider this simply Castle theme as an alternative to sophisticated LOTR/Hobbit theme, which could be complicated for smaller children. I hope this horrible Castle will go to the past soon. It would be a tragedy, if TLC - after LOTR end - will continue with Castle and burn sophisticated building procedures, which TLC used in LOTR, Kingdoms joust, Medieval market. There is so much perfect themes in Castle world (medieval village, bigger castles, exclusives alternatives of classic castle sets, etc). There is also many other themes, which are similar to Castle, and are sleeping, or were never adapted - I am dreaming about ancient antique themes (greeks, romans, egyptians), which would bring wonderful sets and figs for many years (greek temple, gladiator games, coloseum, pyramids, ships, etc). I hope that many antique figs in CMF series (roman soldiers, spartans, gladiator, cleopatra, barbarians, etc) is a small prediction to this new theme, which was never issued by TLC.

I disagree, the POTC theme wasn't an unsuccessful theme, maybe in investment, but the sets were popular with kids (which is who Lego targets).  Also the POTC movie comes out in 2015 or 2016.  And being an avid Harry Potter fan, the movies are definitely not done.  J.K. Rowling is actually writing the script for the new movie that takes place in the Harry Potter world (a prequel based on the books "Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them".), and if you think Lego won't jump at another chance to get back to making Harry Potter sets, you are seriously mistaken.