Lord of the Rings 2014

Disappointing news about Smaug from The Brick Fan:

Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit

Smaug will be a similar size to the dragon in the Dragon Mountain (70403) set. The Witch King will also make an appearance and will glow in the dark. Elrond makes a return and looks similar to the polybag version from the LOTR game pre-order bonus.

Dang, I had a bad feeling they would just use the same mold with a different color scheme or have Smaug in a similar scale. Kind of nice news with Elrond. Now hopefully they include the right size cape. Ha.

I disagree, the POTC theme wasn't an unsuccessful theme, maybe in investment, but the sets were popular with kids (which is who Lego targets).  Also the POTC movie comes out in 2015 or 2016.  And being an avid Harry Potter fan, the movies are definitely not done.  J.K. Rowling is actually writing the script for the new movie that takes place in the Harry Potter world (a prequel based on the books "Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them".), and if you think Lego won't jump at another chance to get back to making Harry Potter sets, you are seriously mistaken.

What I have heard, POTC wasnt succesfull - and the EOL came soon. I dont know how the POTC was selling in America, but in Europe it was a disaster - the sets were heavy operpriced (40 eur even for the small sets like cannibal escape), and the good staff were just the ships - but again, very overpriced (over 100 eur) and poorly distributed.

What I have heard, POTC wasnt succesfull - and the EOL came soon. I dont know how the POTC was selling in America, but in Europe it was a disaster - the sets were heavy operpriced (40 eur even for the small sets like cannibal escape), and the good staff were just the ships - but again, very overpriced (over 100 eur) and poorly distributed.

Exactly... Except for the 2 Ships POTC really was poor....

I'm wondering if the Witch King and Elrond are part of the Hobbit wave 3 sets and LOTR might be truly done.  I hope not but it doesn't look good so far with a year between sets from everything we know so far.

The witch king isn't in the hobbit right? Doesn't this mean that this is a new LOTR set?

The witch king isn't in the hobbit right? Doesn't this mean that this is a new LOTR set?

The Witch King is in the Hobbit. He has not been seen yet but they showed that he had escaped from his jail in the second movie so he will almost certainly make an appearance in the third.

The Witch King is in the Hobbit. He has not been seen yet but they showed that he had escaped from his jail in the second movie so he will almost certainly make an appearance in the third.

I saw the 2nd one in theatres but I honestly forget that part...as far as I remember he's not in the book, though half of what's in the movie isn't in the book.

I saw the 2nd one in theatres but I honestly forget that part...as far as I remember he's not in the book, though half of what's in the movie isn't in the book.

No he's not in the book, but then neither is Sauron other than a reference to a necromancer who is never identified. Only later would Tolkien make it clear who the necromancer was. 

Is there a chance, that somethink new will come in november/december, and is not yet presented in this London Toy Fair? I have some worries that the TLG will not bring the 3rd wave of LOTR... it would be a disaster...

Pretty grim news from London - no evidence at all that LOTR is getting another wave.  Seems unlikely to also skip a single year and then go right back into LOTR production. 

We can speculate that the license was just too expensive to keep for more than a couple years, or when they signed the initial deal and weren't sure of the line's success opted for a shorter deal to gauge interest.  Or they just have too many other themes and LOTR wasn't going to be allocated enough shelf space to make it worthwhile.

Pretty grim news from London - no evidence at all that LOTR is getting another wave.  Seems unlikely to also skip a single year and then go right back into LOTR production. 

We can speculate that the license was just too expensive to keep for more than a couple years, or when they signed the initial deal and weren't sure of the line's success opted for a shorter deal to gauge interest.  Or they just have too many other themes and LOTR wasn't going to be allocated enough shelf space to make it worthwhile.

Hell one of my local targets has already gotten rid of all the new hobbit sets...

Wasn't that Angmar that fought (briefly) with Radagast in An Unexpected Journey? He dropped his Morgul Blade which Radagast grabbed as evidence that he had returned. But really, we want the one with the helmet and black robes right!

• Like 1

The most stupid thing which TLG can do is to issue just a part of the planned sets - its better to issue less sets, which cover all key scenes of 3 movies, than issue more sets, but ignore many important characters and scenes. It is unthinkable to see some secondary scenes transferred to lego (Galdalf arrives, Mines of Moria, Shellob, Ship), but no some essential characters like Gondor army or scenes like battle at Minas Tirith. I hope we will see the 3rd wave of LOTR in the end of year or beginning of 2015.

The most stupid thing which TLG can do is to issue just a part of the planned sets - its better to issue less sets, which cover all key scenes of 3 movies, than issue more sets, but ignore many important characters and scenes. It is unthinkable to see some secondary scenes transferred to lego (Galdalf arrives, Mines of Moria, Shellob, Ship), but no some essential characters like Gondor army or scenes like battle at Minas Tirith. I hope we will see the 3rd wave of LOTR in the end of year or beginning of 2015.

Agree with most of it, but no way is Moria a minor scene...

Wasn't that Angmar that fought (briefly) with Radagast in An Unexpected Journey? He dropped his Morgul Blade which Radagast grabbed as evidence that he had returned. But really, we want the one with the helmet and black robes right!

You are correct, the ghost that attacked radagast was the witch king. It makes sense because radagast will probably bring elrond and galadriel to save gandalf In the next movie which will most likely end up with a battle between them and Dayton's forces. One more dagger to the hearts of those wanting more Lotr sets.

Okay, that's a little unprecedented. Did they have some major clearance sale on them or something?

70% off the elf army set and the ambush set. The two bigger sets were gone as well but the scanner didn't show them on clearance. The hobbit section was replaced with lego movie crap.

Pity the company is clearing some good sets for the lego movie sets. IMO, the Lego movie sets are really what a kid will do with lego, which is to create funny things with any spare pieces they can find. This is great as it is creative and fun.

But what is the point of lego movie sets that attempt to dictate such haphazard designs? I find it humorous that some AFOL are going gaga over these haphazard lego movie sets ... Why waste the money when one can easily create haphazard MOC using whatever spare pieces in ones possession?

• 4 weeks later...

My target has no Hobbit/LOTR sets on the shelf. Sucks. I've got at least one of everything for my personal collection, but my children and I really want Osgiliath/Minas Tirith sets. How they could possibly end this line without ever making a Nazgul or a Faramir minifig (just to name a few) is beyond my understanding.

I will hold out hope until the Hobbit lines ends.  Even if they do one final D2C set with Minas Tirith, I'm hoping for something.  That's all I really need to end this line, as long as it had plenty of figures and animals to go with the city.  An entire 4-6 set line would be better, but I'll take whatever they give me. 

Does anyone know why the Hobbit game is coming out in April?  I would have expected it to be released closer to the third movie in December.  Do you think it will have any scenes from the last movie as that would spoil the story line?  It makes me wonder if they are just trying to give the Hobbit one last push for 2014 and the line will be done at the end of the year.  I really can't figure this one out.