Does it Irritate anyone else when people decline a "good" best offer with no explanation or counter?

By good I mean, reasonable not only to worth but to their starting point - probably 10-15% lower than their price listed. Obviously there are some bigger listings where you low ball a bit, especially if it isn't worth what they are asking.

Anyway, lately I have had a couple where the seller just declines, no counter, no explanation as to why. I will message them and say - Hey, don't want to low ball, just seeing if I could get an idea where you are at - and they don't answer. 

These would be non retail based items where the price is a little more "up for interpretation" - not like offering $75 for a New Jabbas Palace listed at $90.

Just venting a little. I wish people would counter or at least say - I think I can get this for it. Irritating. I never decline unless its just stupid low as a seller.

By good I mean, reasonable not only to worth but to their starting point - probably 10-15% lower than their price listed. Obviously there are some bigger listings where you low ball a bit, especially if it isn't worth what they are asking.

Anyway, lately I have had a couple where the seller just declines, no counter, no explanation as to why. I will message them and say - Hey, don't want to low ball, just seeing if I could get an idea where you are at - and they don't answer. 

These would be non retail based items where the price is a little more "up for interpretation" - not like offering $75 for a New Jabbas Palace listed at $90.

Just venting a little. I wish people would counter or at least say - I think I can get this for it. Irritating. I never decline unless its just stupid low as a seller.

I do not like people when they do something like that. They could at least make a counter offer and say no with an explanation.

On the rare occasions I use Best Offer, I have my auto decline and auto accept set up. So, if I had my auto accept at 10% off and auto decline anything lower than that, if you asked for an 11% discount, the only entity you'd hear from is my buddy Frank, the eBay robot.

I wouldn't let it bother you. While the best offer tool is useful on eBay for many buyers and sellers, some sellers just aren't interested in micro-managing every listing and let the bots tell you yes or no. The bots are terrible at flea-market-style dickering, they just draw a line of code in the sand and stick to their price.

I wouldn't let it bother you...as frog said, many times I have auto decline set up - I also decline with no comment to low ball offers. Not worth my time. If I get a serious offer that I can work with but still decline, then I comment - usually with why I have to get a certain price. I've sold more BIN listings thru best offer lately than not!

No ;)

Nice. Lol

Some people simply take offence at it. Some have the mentality that this is the price I put on it, this is what I expect. Not everyone is in to haggling. I can't really blame them considering I would ignore anyone asking for 10-15% off my lego listings no matter where I list them and what sort it is.

what i find annoying is when you make an offer and they just let the 48 hrs run out.  no accept, decline no nothin'.

You guys realize I am talking about as a buyer. Seller I don't worry about. I am saying as a buyer it irritates me. If you aren't willing to listen to offers, why best offer?

Someone up above said that. In on my phone, but whoever you are you rule. Lol

I personally don't understand it when you are talking about small differences in price. As a seller, the rare times I use Best Offer is when I sell a very expensive item and can live with accepting $ 50 or so less than what I listed it for. What's more, I usually list them at a higher price than I would if not offering Best Offer.

For example, if you list an item for $100 and you get an offer for $90 and still decline, then why would you even add the option? Just list it as a $100 BIN. When someone list an item for $100 expecting someone to offer him $98 or more...I just don't understand it.

• Like 1

You guys realize I am talking about as a buyer. Seller I don't worry about. I am saying as a buyer it irritates me. If you aren't willing to listen to offers, why best offer?

I knew that, but you didn't specify much with it. Was it on ebay (where more of a fixed price is set) or CL where there is more bartering?

Either way, what I said is still relevant. 

When Im asking $150 for a item and someone best offers me $20 bucks .. ya I dont waste my breathe on them decline move on

Another option is he could have already received a higher offer than you gave and didn't feel the need to respond to yours.

This happens on Craigslist too - There's a local guy who sells a lot of stuff in my area, and always puts "or best offer" in their listing. One time he had a small set for $20 (used) which new was $25. I offered $15 for it, and I didn't get a response...

So if you're asking for 20 "OBO" - Are you hoping for $18? Seems not worth the time and aggravation to hold out for $3. 

But in general, this goes to a societal problem - where ignoring electronic communication has become the norm, not the exception. It is easy to ignore emails, phone calls, e-offers, etc, etc. I've even had apparently eager sellers kind of disappear for a few days when you're asking simple questions then suddenly show back up. In general, try not to let it get to you. Especially a lot of more or less "pros" I think kind of put that language in to make them APPEAR to NOT be pros.