Friends "Mini Figures"

Doofy McGee

Does it bother anyone else that the characters in the Friends theme are not conventional mini figures? I realize some people care about mini figs more than others, but this has never really sit right with me. A lot of prognosticators are saying that Friends will do well after retirement, but I just can't get on board. The figures are miniature Barbies for crying out loud!

Does it bother anyone else that the characters in the Friends theme are not conventional mini figures? I realize some people care about mini figs more than others, but this has never really sit right with me. A lot of prognosticators are saying that Friends will do well after retirement, but I just can't get on board. The figures are miniature Barbies for crying out loud!

I say that if you don't like the theme just ignore it. IMO if you worry about every single set and its investment potential, it will probably take up more time than you have available. No one will be mad that you can't get onboard with this theme. This will sound extremely stupid but aside from the Haunted House I am not into the modulars at all! I know they are investment winners but they just don't appeal to me and I am OK with that.

I know what you mean. I do just ignore the Friends theme. I'm not really all that worked up about it. I guess I was more just looking for other peoples' opinions about the theme in general. I won't be investing in it either way. I like to adhere to the golden rule, buy what you like. :)

My 6 y/o daughter loves the Friends theme. She's built almost 1/2 the sets now. They need to do a bigger doll house set. Olivia's house is nice but there needs to be a really big one.....like one of the modular sized ones. She ends up using the haunted house for her Lego Friends. It looks funny seeing one of those girl figures next to the vampire or frankenstien....sort of like a Scooby Doo episode :)

That's a great story. :) That does sound very Scooby Doo-ish. My daughters also have Friends sets, and they are fun just like any LEGO sets. I feel like I was misunderstood when I posted this thread. I don't hate Friends. I have just always felt weird about the mini figs being little dolls instead of what we are all used to.

I totally understand what you're getting at arock68.

I kinda wish the figures were just like regular LEGO minifigures, instead of the way they are. If they had, this whole series would have given us ALOT of lady minifigs. Something that's sorely lacking in every other series or theme. Although, I will admit that the FRIENDS characters are done well and....umm....cute.

That still feels wierd as a guy to say that word.

Come to think, has anybody done a "Scooby-Doo" MOC yet?

OrcKing - I know what you mean. They are cute, and it does feel a little weird to say that. Lol. My wife pointed out something to me tonight...I said I didn't like how the Friends figures were like mini Barbies, and she said in response, "But that is exactly why the girls DO like them." As we all know, Friends was targeted towards younger girls to help get them interested in LEGOs. And apparently it is working...Friends has doubled the expectations that LEGO had for the theme. Good job LEGO. But for now, I will continue to heed the advice that was given earlier in this thread...I don't like these sets, so I won't buy them. Then in a couple years I can regret it when the values have shot up. :)

What I like the most with the friends sets is the level of detail on furnitures and accessories. I have no problem with the minifigs, I think they are cute too. Although I like the friend sets, I dont think I will buy any soon, they wouldn't fit into my Creator collection!

IMO I really wish the Minifigs were regular Minfigs and not little dolls. They could of made them real....um um...CUTE. Sorry not used to using that word with LEGO!!! Lol I will be picking them up as an investment. I really like the Cafe Shop, Tree house, and Olivias House. If I do invest more it will be towards the Bigger Sets in this theme. I don't care too much what I collect when it comes to LEGO...as long as I'm making $$$ as an investment that's all it matters to me. Im not going to invest too much but I feel this is very popular and it's unique among the little girls that are building it. In my area it always sold out or very low in inventory so it looks like they are selling. Even though I don't agree with how the Minfigs look...it is still collectible and...um...um...CUTE. Damn that word!!! Lol Parents and Grandparents are buying them for their Daughters and Granddaughters. Truly the only girl collecting theme. I just don't want to miss the boat and have these thing sky rocket. Just my opinion.

My wife pointed out something to me tonight...I said I didn't like how the Friends figures were like mini Barbies, and she said in response, "But that is exactly why the girls DO like them."

That's true. I do think the figures are very good design wise.

I don't like these sets, so I won't buy them. Then in a couple years I can regret it when the values have shot up. :)

Ugh, yeah really. You know some years down the road these are going to come back and bite us in the ass! Ha!

Look at how much the PARADISA or BELVILLE sets have gone up in value, new AND used!

Of course, you still need someone to actually buy the sets.

At the least, I think that I may buy a couple of the small sets in the nearby future.

Just maybe....

I put a few of them on the haunted house display I built for Halloween. They're like the Scooby Doo gang doing a paranormal investigation.....I just need a Lego 'Mystery Machine' parked out back.

I can just hear the vampire bride saying "I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

BTW here's my haunted house prior to adding the Friends minifigs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LOL

• 5 months later...

Bumping this pretty old thread because the most peculiar question popped in my head for a theme I never thought that I would have found myself ever ask anything about in the first place. Well here goes.

Can anyone tell or show me what are the differences between a Friends minifigure and regular minifigure?

Like how about the difference in height and size of the minifigure itself and then the general size and shape of the head & hairpiece. How similiar or different are they? Can the hair from a Friends minifigure work on a regular minifigure? That kind of stuff.

I'm a builder so I have a right to be wierd.