Giant Craigslist bulk find

Dallas20

I stumbled upon a 35 gallon Tupperware bin of Legos.. Listed as 130lbs..300 mini figures and some misc. sets (roughly 12). I tossed an offer out but she had one already at $1025... I've seen bulk Legos going from $10-20 a lb on eBay. I'd love to hear what some of you seasoned investors would value this at.

You can see the sales dates by clicking on the "116" sold.

Keep in mind he's paying eBay FVF fees and he's offering free shipping and he's paying PayPal fees, so he's not walking off with that $20/pound. And, if most of his sales are for buy 5 pounds get 2 free, that's more off that price.

You can see the sales dates by clicking on the "116" sold.

Keep in mind he's paying eBay FVF fees and he's offering free shipping and he's paying PayPal fees, so he's not walking off with that $20/pound. And, if most of his sales are for buy 5 pounds get 2 free, that's more off that price.

Exactly - he is probably making $10 a pound, maybe. pound shipping USPS to most places is 5$, 3$ for fees, .50$ for shipping materials or so. lol it adds up.

I just sort of got started with an Ebay business and its a *****. You really can't sell things for under a couple dollars at least on Ebay just because of fees and shipping.  So resale, I try to get it for less than half what I can get on Ebay - and you still don't make a ton lol.

Now for personal collection, 7-8 a pound is not terrible provided you actually like what you see.

I haggled with some craigslisterds who assured me their tubs of legos were alk lego. Only to buy it. Get home and see ut was mostly damaged and 30% megablocks at least.

To some megablocks are the giant baby bricks and any small brick is a lego.

Craiglisterd is now the word of the day. Let's try it out:

"Yesterday I got stood up by a Craiglisterd."

AaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhH!!!

That reminds me that you have to have an idea of what is in the bulk lot. If it is mainly duds, then it would not be worth it to pay $5 a pound. If the lot was full of popular rare Star Wars sets, then it is worth it to pay $5 a pound.

Exactly.... I got thought that curve with no loss but it was a huge waste of time apart from the things i learned....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

There is bulk and there is bulk .  I recently saw a bulk offer on CL that went something like this "Selling bulk legos three plastic 35 gallon containers, by the way have manuals for all the sets in those containers and then the picture of 50+  manuals",price $750"  By the time I finished an internal debate whether it was worth it or not, it was gone   The few set numbers where I could make out number on  were worth at least double the $750.  TJM was one of them .

Now I'm having another internal debate.  I see a really nice collection up for sale sold by an emotionally attached collector, I am still believing that people are not complete idiots as a general rule of thumb. He wants 1.5x market price for his really really cool sets some of which I wouldn't mind building myself so I'm debating on whether I should contact him and educate him on selling me his stuff for half the asking price.

There is bulk and there is bulk .  I recently saw a bulk offer on CL that went something like this "Selling bulk legos three plastic 35 gallon containers, by the way have manuals for all the sets in those containers and then the picture of 50+  manuals",price $750"  By the time I finished an internal debate whether it was worth it or not, it was gone   The few set numbers where I could make out number on  were worth at least double the $750.  TJM was one of them .

Now I'm having another internal debate.  I see a really nice collection up for sale sold by an emotionally attached collector, I am still believing that people are not complete idiots as a general rule of thumb. He wants 1.5x market price for his really really cool sets some of which I wouldn't mind building myself so I'm debating on whether I should contact him and educate him on selling me his stuff for half the asking price.

The first one may have been worth double his asking price, but you have to remember - you've got to spend the time putting it together.

I'm learning that the hard way.  I've got 30 lbs of bulk in my garage, and I'm discovering it's a PITA to go through it, sort it, pull out sets, etc. 

The first one may have been worth double his asking price, but you have to remember - you've got to spend the time putting it together.

I'm learning that the hard way.  I've got 30 lbs of bulk in my garage, and I'm discovering it's a PITA to go through it, sort it, pull out sets, etc. 

That's the fun part....I get bulk lots to enjoy the LEGO....because New boxed LEGO on the shelf is the devil's temptress.....

• Like 1

I have the same problem.  Bought a 30+ lb collection (80's-200's), probably only rebuilt and sold 5-6 sets so far (way too much to sort at one time).  But it was fun playing and building them.  It helps that I only paid $100 and already made back $200 :)

I'm an AFOL and have an addict 7 year old in the house who'd build anything LEGO with exception of POC, don't know why, I love those carriage wheels.  So time spent rehabing and building sets is my mental hygiene time so I don't price it, it's like I"m getting paid to do stuff I'd pay money to do :).  It also helps to have an AFOL better half who'd do the sorting for the "opportunity" to build my modulars  with me ;).