WOOHOO I am a Top Freaking Seller -- Yeah Baby!!!

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

Its pretty easy evidently to become a top seller guys. I normally don't like to brag (which I shouldn't because there are 1000 other members at least on this site better and more knowledgeable that me) but I am too excited right now.

Top Seller Status Requirements

- 100 transactions in a year

- $3K in sales

- 98% feedback

- .3% low ratings

- a bunch of other standards for not getting low ratings.

I DID IT IN ONE EVALUATION PERIOD BABY!!! Thats right! I started in late August selling a lot and sept. 20th eval came in today!!!

People I would like to thank:

1. Brickpicker

2. lego Minifigures - SOOOO easy to get to 100 transactions

3. The Lego 41999 - selling 2 for $450 each helped get to that 3K mark

4. People who post lots on Craigslist for cheap

5. People who list stuff on Ebay without checking its worth.

6. People who list stuff on Ebay for 99 cent auctions with a crappy listing.

7. The Best Offer Function.

8. TRU for not knowing how to enforce coupon rules on Ebay

9. The Mini VW and Clone trooper.

10. Walmart and Target Clearance.

Anyway, just needed to say this. I can't wait for the seller discount. FEEbay becomes ... less-Fee-bay? Yeah, I need a new post end writer.

• Like 4

Keep in mind you only get the 20% FVF discounts for being top rated seller PLUS now. :-)

The additional requirements, if you're not yet meeting them, are:

Top Rated Plus listing requirements

To qualify for Top Rated Plus, you need to be a Top Rated Seller and your listing needs to include:

• A 14-day (or longer) money back return policy

• Same business day or 1 business day handling time

Keep in mind you only get the 20% FVF discounts for being top rated seller PLUS now. :-)

The additional requirements, if you're not yet meeting them, are:

Top Rated Plus listing requirements

To qualify for Top Rated Plus, you need to be a Top Rated Seller and your listing needs to include:

• A 14-day (or longer) money back return policy

• Same business day or 1 business day handling time

Right good point. Its weird how they do that.

Actually all mine apply. But of my 60 some odd listings up, it says 2 don't I have to wait up to 24 hours for a report that tells me which ones Lol.

congrats! got mine upgraded again today too.  I think for the top plus you also have to have tracking on like 90% of the items you ship? Is that still correct? Anyway I'm sure most of us do that anyway.

Also with the one day handling, I think you have to print your label within 24 hours of payment.  For example I might get paid at 1PM on tuesday and then print my label wednesday afternoon and think I was meeting their terms of "1 day", but then I lost my status one period and that was the reason why.

congrats! got mine upgraded again today too.  I think for the top plus you also have to have tracking on like 90% of the items you ship? Is that still correct? Anyway I'm sure most of us do that anyway.

Also with the one day handling, I think you have to print your label within 24 hours of payment.  For example I might get paid at 1PM on tuesday and then print my label wednesday afternoon and think I was meeting their terms of "1 day", but then I lost my status one period and that was the reason why.

It is 90%, and you need to upload tracking within 1 business day - i.e, exclude weekends and postal holidays --

--sell something Tuesday at 11 a.m., upload tracking by Wednesday at midnight - PST is the standard used

--sell something Friday at 10 p.m., upload tracking Monday by midnight

--sell something the Friday before Labor day at 11 a.m., upload tracking by the following Tuesday at midnight

Etc.

I got downgraded from top seller because I don't allow returns and my handling is set at 2 days.  I couldn't give 2 craps whether I'm considered "top seller" or not.  This isn't a shot at DNIIM at all, just I think ebay is bullcrap, and if there was another site to sell from that got the traffic it got, I'd be gone in a second. 

I got downgraded from top seller because I don't allow returns and my handling is set at 2 days. I couldn't give 2 craps whether I'm considered "top seller" or not. This isn't a shot at DNIIM at all, just I think ebay is bullcrap, and if there was another site to sell from that got the traffic it got, I'd be gone in a second.

I agree. I'm a top seller but don't get the discount because I don't offer returns. That's ok with me. I'll pay the extra fees before I allow people to screw me when they try to reseal sets and return them.

It is what it is - if they're going to designate some sellers as better than others, they have to set some kind of standard and then sellers get to decide whether to meet it. 

Because online selling is our living and eBay's a big part of it, it's worth it to me to jump through some hoops to keep my items as near the top of search and available for viewing by most buyers, and part of that is maintaining top rated plus status.

And, to be transparent, most of what eBay requires of me is what I've always required of myself anyway - I ship fast, I want people to send things back if they don't like them, etc.

Amazon gets lots of traffic, too, but has its own set of hoops to deal with - some the same as eBay, some different.

Their house, their rules.

Welcome to the Top Seller league DNIIM, now you can see how much eBay really "care" about sellers despite their status

I got downgraded from top seller because I don't allow returns and my handling is set at 2 days.  I couldn't give 2 craps whether I'm considered "top seller" or not.  This isn't a shot at DNIIM at all, just I think ebay is bullcrap, and if there was another site to sell from that got the traffic it got, I'd be gone in a second. 

Just like justafrog mentioned, the requirements for accepting returns and handling time are only important for getting the Plus discount.  The downgrade was most likely the results of something else entirely.  Rather moot point since you do not care about it... ;)

Nice job. I eventually want to be selling the quantity of a Top Seller, but I don't really see the advantages of accepting damaged sets back. Sure, it's good for customer relations and stuff, but since it is almost always not my fault (hate them buyers that make claims like that), the buyer should have to keep the set.

Nice job. I eventually want to be selling the quantity of a Top Seller, but I don't really see the advantages of accepting damaged sets back. Sure, it's good for customer relations and stuff, but since it is almost always not my fault (hate them buyers that make claims like that), the buyer should have to keep the set.

Contrary to popular myth, eBay does stand behind sellers when they've got a good track record and there's reasonable suspicion/proof that the buyer is being abusive.

If I get a shredded book or missing part of a set or broken toy back from a buyer, I simply report the buyer, and talk it over with eBay. Because I have a history of being totally freaking awesome as a seller, eBay's like as not going to take my word for it and deny the refund on the return and remove any negative feedback (that part's new as of the fall update) the buyer leaves.

Furthermore, if a buyer engages in an "excessive number" of such shenanigans with various sellers, they lose their Buyer Protection privileges and sometimes their ability to buy on the site at all.

There's always risk in being a merchant of any sort at any level in any venue - brick and mortar shops have to worry about shoplifters, eBay sellers have to worry about shady returns, Craigslist sellers have to worry about getting mugged.

But if you play fair, play by the rules, and pay attention, you're not going to have any more trouble on eBay with returns or buyers in general than any other merchant anywhere else in the known universe.

No shot taken. lol. I definitely understand. Ebay irritates me most of the time.

I agree. I'm a top seller but don't get the discount because I don't offer returns. That's ok with me. I'll pay the extra fees before I allow people to screw me when they try to reseal sets and return them.

Haven't had this happen yet luckily.

Top Rated Seller, Power Seller, not Top Rated Seller, not Power Seller. None of this matters unless you are "making a profit". I want the label "Top Rated Profitier" (if that's a word) Or as Dave Ramsey would say "we're Debt Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedom"

What does profit have to do with selling stuff? :)

A good point here is you can decide what to do it on and what not. I may not allow returns on my huge sets when I sell them. I do on stuff I part out because what could someone do? I already took out the minifigs!

Important to know too with Ebays buyer crap, if you sell a set and offer no returns, Ebay can let them return it anyway, right?

Important to know too with Ebays buyer crap, if you sell a set and offer no returns, Ebay can let them return it anyway, right?

Correct. If the buyer claims SNAD (Significantly Not as Described), you will be accepting a return through eBay regardless of your return policy, or you will be refunding the buyer without a return at all, or eBay will do it for you.

Now, if the item IS as described or the buyer has messed it up their own selves, you have recourse in reporting the buyer, etc., etc., as in my previous post.

It is 90%, and you need to upload tracking within 1 business day - i.e, exclude weekends and postal holidays --

--sell something Tuesday at 11 a.m., upload tracking by Wednesday at midnight - PST is the standard used

--sell something Friday at 10 p.m., upload tracking Monday by midnight

--sell something the Friday before Labor day at 11 a.m., upload tracking by the following Tuesday at midnight

Etc.

thanks for the clarification!

If you sell on ebay you offer 45 day returns. If you accept payment via credit card thru Paypal you offer 180 day returns. May as well get the discount and stop kidding yourself lol.

Welcome to the Top Seller league DNIIM, now you can see how much eBay really "care" about sellers despite their status

Just like justafrog mentioned, the requirements for accepting returns and handling time are only important for getting the Plus discount.  The downgrade was most likely the results of something else entirely.  Rather moot point since you do not care about it... ;)

Nope, they pointed out those 2 points exactly as the reason I was dropped.  Funny thing is, I never have had any different stipulations.  I have never allowed returns and my handling has always been set at 2 days.  My feedback is impeccable, almost 1200 without a single negative or neutral, EVER.  My little point scores are all at 4.9 or 5.0 and have been a "power seller" for years. 

I was never told what I needed to do to keep up the status and never asked for it, so I really don't care about it.  My items are going to show up if somebody searches for them, plain and simple.

I was never told what I needed to do to keep up the status and never asked for it, so I really don't care about it.  My items are going to show up if somebody searches for them, plain and simple.

It's not so plain and simple anymore. From an eBay user agreement update on Sept. 11 of this year:

Updates to listing conditions. To further create a marketplace where buyers find what they want and drive positive user experience, we updated the provision regarding listing conditions to recognize that the appearance and placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors.  So, in some situations a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of sort order. (bold mine.)

What that means in English is, Cassini (the new eBay search software) is now fully launched and a large variety of factors, of which "trust and safety" (i.e, Top Rated Seller Plus status) is one, now determine IF a given buyer will see your item at all. Other known factors at this time are (in no particular order, list is incomplete): number and quality of photos, use of item specifics, quality of listing description, number of shipping options, free shipping, proximity of the seller to the potential buyer, and a bunch of other stuff I'm not currently remembering.

For more information on what we know, think we know, and guess about Cassini searches, there are some very good YouTube tutorials popping up. The more Cassini i's a seller dots and more Cassini t's a seller crosses, the more reliably their items will show up in search.

I'm not saying you or anyone has to be Top Rated Plus to sell, but along with many other factors, it does help get your items seen more often by more buyers.

Complete eBay announcement regarding this can be found at:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/09/updates-to-the-ebay-user-agreement-privacy-policy-and-buyer-protection-policy-2/