WOOHOO I am a Top Freaking Seller -- Yeah Baby!!!

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

Well, I guess when I search for something, I don't go with "Best Match", which is what this is.  Best Match gives me BIN's from "Top Sellers" that have been trying to get rid of overpriced junk for months.  Don't need that.  I'm looking for matches that are going to net me the most money, so I search a little deeper.

Please don't take this as an attack or that I'm butthurt, because it's none of those things.  I guess I'm in the minority on this one, and I'm ok with that.  We can agree to disagree.  As for the stipulations that Ebay wants me to enforce on my sales, well, I'm not going to change them, because I can't guarantee next day shipping, though I do many times.  It is a knock against me if I promise 1 day handling if I don't come though, which is hard for me since I work 55-60 hours a week, leaving for work at 6 am and getting my son from school around 5 pm.  Getting to the post office isn't really in my schedule, so why promise it? 

Allowing returns opens you up for a bait and switch, seen it too many times to people and I don't trust a single person on ebay.  Yes, there are returns through paypal, but I have to be proven to at some level be at fault for not coming through on my end of the bargain. If I send you something that you bought, and it gets to you in the shape I have promised, you keep you end of the bargain and keep it, not return it.  I'm not Amazon.

Well, I guess when I search for something, I don't go with "Best Match", which is what this is.  Best Match gives me BIN's from "Top Sellers" that have been trying to get rid of overpriced junk for months.  Don't need that.  I'm looking for matches that are going to net me the most money, so I search a little deeper.

It's not just Best Match anymore - that's why eBay has stipulated "regardless of sort order" in the announcement (i.e, regardless of whether you do ending soonest or lowest first, or whatever).

I'm not trying to get you to change anything you don't want to change, honest - sell however you like, I know I do! But I think it is important for any seller to know what eBay's up to, good and bad, and for some choices a seller makes, Cassini (not just Best Match, but the whole search program that eBay has been in the process of replacing and is now complete or all but complete) can make you worse off in search than you (generic you, any given seller) has been in the past. It can also give you better placement and visibility, just depending on how much you (generic you, any seller) are willing to do to gain that.

Once I hit top rated I definitely saw my items move quicker.  It's nice to not have to have the cheapest offering and still sell ahead of other listings.  Thankfully I haven't had any returns yet (~600 sales) - just a couple of price concessions.  My biggest problem with Ebay has been as a buyer - getting sets shipped to me in brown paper - that "mint in box" set quickly becomes "smashed in box" by the time it reaches me.  And that's basically how I decide what gets opened and built. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Its pretty easy evidently to become a top seller guys. I normally don't like to brag (which I shouldn't because there are 1000 other members at least on this site better and more knowledgeable that me) but I am too excited right now.

Top Seller Status Requirements

- 100 transactions in a year

- $3K in sales

- 98% feedback

- .3% low ratings

- a bunch of other standards for not getting low ratings.

I DID IT IN ONE EVALUATION PERIOD BABY!!! Thats right! I started in late August selling a lot and sept. 20th eval came in today!!!

People I would like to thank:

1. Brickpicker

2. lego Minifigures - SOOOO easy to get to 100 transactions

3. The Lego 41999 - selling 2 for $450 each helped get to that 3K mark

4. People who post lots on Craigslist for cheap

5. People who list stuff on Ebay without checking its worth.

6. People who list stuff on Ebay for 99 cent auctions with a crappy listing.

7. The Best Offer Function.

8. TRU for not knowing how to enforce coupon rules on Ebay

9. The Mini VW and Clone trooper.

10. Walmart and Target Clearance.

Anyway, just needed to say this. I can't wait for the seller discount. FEEbay becomes ... less-Fee-bay? Yeah, I need a new post end writer.

Well played. Stomping

Good Job on Ebay Status.  Featured seller status on the river should be your next goal.  Getting access to the buy box will cause your sales to increase dramatically.  

Are these Amazon things?  I am not familiar with these in Ebay. If they are ebay things,  can you point me in the right direction to learn more info.  Thanks!

Are these Amazon things?  I am not familiar with these in Ebay. If they are ebay things,  can you point me in the right direction to learn more info.  Thanks!

By "the river" he means Amazon.

It's a good goal if you have many of the same item (i.e, 50 of a set) - otherwise, sort of pointless as the featured seller buy box will sell you out quickly if you have just a few of each given item.

• Like 1

By "the river" he means Amazon.

It's a good goal if you have many of the same item (i.e, 50 of a set) - otherwise, sort of pointless as the featured seller buy box will sell you out quickly if you have just a few of each given item.

Ahhh gotcha..thanks for the info...Amazon will be next year's project! 

• 3 months later...

So, what is the easiest way to get to 100 sales? I've sold mostly larger stuff, and not in huge quantities. I would like to get to the 100 mark by Christmas this next year, when I will probably be selling large items and would like to cut down on fees a little bit.

Everyone says mini-figs, but which ones? I don't want to break sets I have. What is the process?

So, what is the easiest way to get to 100 sales? I've sold mostly larger stuff, and not in huge quantities. I would like to get to the 100 mark by Christmas this next year, when I will probably be selling large items and would like to cut down on fees a little bit.

Everyone says mini-figs, but which ones? I don't want to break sets I have. What is the process?

Smaller sets work well...  You can buy to increase your feedback as well.  Are there items you need?  Do a little buying to help you along.

I've got 165 ~ feedback, all positive. Not huge, but not bad. It seems about 50% of the people leave feedback, which is probably due to laziness. I tend to ship REALLY quickly and package beyond what is needed (because I hate receiving damaged sets myself).

I would like to make profit on the 100 sales to get to that level, but it seems that even the smaller sets bought at 40% off tend to barely break even. Maybe I'm doing it wrong :sorcerer:

I've got 165 ~ feedback, all positive. Not huge, but not bad. It seems about 50% of the people leave feedback, which is probably due to laziness. I tend to ship REALLY quickly and package beyond what is needed (because I hate receiving damaged sets myself).

I would like to make profit on the 100 sales to get to that level, but it seems that even the smaller sets bought at 40% off tend to barely break even. Maybe I'm doing it wrong :sorcerer:

You either have to pick the right freakishly profitable set to flip or wait for EOL.  All sets are still not guaranteed to be profitable after EOL, so picking the right sets always helps.  This is a common theme here, but flipping newer sets bought at discount is usually a bunch of work for very little gain.

Thanks for the help.

From earlier reading, it sounds like the sweet spot for selling sets is 1-2 years after EOL. Which basically means everything in my inventory needs to stay there for a long time.

In the meantime, do I just sacrifice profits (and hope to break even) in order to get to 100 sales to be a top seller, and then eligible for the discount on fees?

I have about 40 series 7 minifigs I bought for $1 last year. Do I open these up and list for $1, with shipping costs to cover my costs, just to increase sales numbers?

Hmmm, I wouldn't sacrifice profits.  One or two months of selling sets for good profit will get you over the $1000 a month goal to be a top seller.  I was lucky, since I was selling some of my other collections to help fund some of the LEGO investing, so that all counted towards my Top Seller status too.  If you have some other stuff you need to offload, throw it up on EBay.

Wow, maybe I'm reading it wrong. It looks to me like I need 100 sales, and $3,000 in sales to be a top seller. I have the dollar amount, just not the 100 sales.

I can't quote it off the top of my head.  It might be $3000 and then you have to maintain $1000 in sales per month to maintain it.