Lego production of pieces

Lateral-G

Just curious, how does Lego go about production of the actual pieces? Once the molds have been made they can crank out as many pieces as they need. The only decision is colors and quantities of each. I also imagine they have numerous molds of the same pieces so they can run multiples simultaneously as well in different manufacturing plants. The logistics of how many of one piece, what colors, how many different piece types that need to be made (on a continual basis) is quite fascinating when you think about it. How much surplus brick stock is in inventory at any given time ? Then there is the sorting and the bagging and the packaging. The actual machined molds that are used to make the pieces are the most expensive part (injection plastic molds ain't cheap folks). I'm curious if their molds have been paid for by now? Once this tooling is made they have it and can make bricks in the future so pieces really never 'go away'. All that needs to be done is bring the mold out of storage and start using it. (unless it gets damaged or excessively worn through use......which is very unlikely). thoughts anyone?

There's a documentary about Lego factories that might answer some of your questions.

awesome documentary! Two things that caught my attention.......the amount of combinations one can make with just (6) 6x2 bricks was is like 96 billion or something like that? The other thing is that TLG makes a conscience decision to ommit guns from the police sets but yet guns galore in the star wars sets.

I remember getting to see this documentary on TV some years ago. Still good. I think the HISTORY channel did their own documentary as well.

The other thing is that TLG makes a conscience decision to ommit guns from the police sets but yet guns galore in the star wars sets.

Yeah, I find that rather amusing as well. I understand them trying to stay as far away from 'violence', but sometimes those kinds of things feels like the 'apples & oranges' arguement. Like instead of them calling it 'violence', they'll call it 'action'. Whatever....

Remember the first time they actually molded 'six-shooters' for the WILD WEST theme? Those became the official LEGO gun for a long time. (Now we have sites like BrickArms for those needs)

I remember getting to see this documentary on TV some years ago. Still good. I think the HISTORY channel did their own documentary as well.

Got a link? I collect Lego related documentaries. Whatever small amount that exists ;p

Yeah, I find that rather amusing as well. I understand them trying to stay as far away from 'violence', but sometimes those kinds of things feels like the 'apples & oranges' arguement. Like instead of them calling it 'violence', they'll call it 'action'. Whatever....

Remember the first time they actually molded 'six-shooters' for the WILD WEST theme? Those became the official LEGO gun for a long time. (Now we have sites like BrickArms for those needs)

I call it bollocks and hypocrisy.

There was the Loudhailer/Blaster in 1982 Space.

Then they put pistols and muskets in the hands of pirates in 1989.

Guns Galore!

Got a link? I collect Lego related documentaries. Whatever small amount that exists ;p

This isn't the one I watched, but it's a special the Discovery channel did.

Discovery Channel - How do they do it? Episode 16 - LEGO

And here's another I found that I'm not quite sure who did it. Still good.

LEGO...The Building Blocks of Fun!

This one feels like it was cut from a longer documentary. Maybe about toy factories in general?

Not sure...

Thinking back on it, maybe I got confused and the one I thought I saw on the History channel was actually the special on National Geographic. Ah, dang now my brain hurts! Haha.

Here's a couple of links that aren't Documentary related, but figure this is as good of a place as any.

This first one you might have already seen. Still a great inspirational stopmotion work of art.

CL!CK: A LEGO Short Film

And here's the sequel. Just as good, if not better, than the first.

The Brick Thief: A LEGO Short Film