79008 - Pirate Ship Ambush

Not to call you out man but I thought you weren't buying any for anything above $50? :) IMO if you believe it is late in the game for this one (near EOL) and the set has potential than the $5-$10 in price doesn't make much difference now. Amazon still have it for $76.

You caught me. Congrats

Same here but a number of people did if you read the Walmart clearance thread.

Lucky devils...on the plus side, I'd guess areas that never have Lego make it to 50+% off clearance can sell sets locally much more easily. I know that after a good sale my (albeit small) city gets wiped out, and makes selling locally much easier. It would be tough to compete with retailers who reduced prices that much and still had trouble moving stock.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone care about this set?  It was a slow seller and has been pretty stagnant since disappearing. I know there are a few lingering at TRU stores as well.

​I did well on this set parting it out after a BOGO Free Amazon sale last July. $49 or so, profit about $65 per set, I think. Beyond that, I don't expect anything spectacular.

Does anyone care about this set?  It was a slow seller and has been pretty stagnant since disappearing. I know there are a few lingering at TRU stores as well.

I just checked the eBay sales for these the other day and it looks like it's back to retail, no?  Five months of retirement, and it's gained $30-40.  I think this one may take a little time, but it will be up at $150+ for the holidays with a slow but steady climb from there.

While LOTR set appreciation will never be confused for modular/UCS gains, I think they'll start to climb slowly but surely.  I'm holding all my LOTR and Hobbit sets for at least another year to clear a lot of the secondary inventory out.  Once the theme is gone, people will start to miss it (see Indy Jones).

I just checked the eBay sales for these the other day and it looks like it's back to retail, no?  Five months of retirement, and it's gained $30-40.  I think this one may take a little time, but it will be up at $150+ for the holidays with a slow but steady climb from there.

While LOTR set appreciation will never be confused for modular/UCS gains, I think they'll start to climb slowly but surely.  I'm holding all my LOTR and Hobbit sets for at least another year to clear a lot of the secondary inventory out.  Once the theme is gone, people will start to miss it (see Indy Jones).

​Most EBay sales are still at around $70 - $80.

Edited by exciter1

​When you've still got it on the shelf for $109.99, it's tough for it to move.

​I did well on this set parting it out after a BOGO Free Amazon sale last July. $49 or so, profit about $65 per set, I think. Beyond that, I don't expect anything spectacular.

​Hmm...I got quite a few at Walmart for $30.  I wonder if it's still worth it to part out.

• Like 2

It will do fine with time. It hasn't even been out for 2 full years yet. Plus it's still available at TRU ebay and online for a little over retail. Once we're free of that we will start to see some gains. 

Edited by Soadfan4ever
  • Like 1

This is the only set in my collection I regret buying. I agree with those who say it will one day be worth something, but there were much better sets to buy that were available alongside this one.

I thought I might just open it for personal build when I bought it but the ship is too lackluster so I don't think I will.

I got one for my personal collection at the same time as helms deep and uruk battle. I recall it having some interesting parts to the build, but once the cat knocked it over, I haven't had the motivation to build it again...that was a year ago now. You probably wouldn't hate the build, but overall your impression of the set probably won't change. More so if you've ever had the chance to build a real ship like BP, QAR, or IF; it just doesn't stack up next to those beauties.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only set in my collection I regret buying. I agree with those who say it will one day be worth something, but there were much better sets to buy that were available alongside this one.

I thought I might just open it for personal build when I bought it but the ship is too lackluster so I don't think I will.

​I regretted my purchases of these a while ago and offloaded most to put the money elsewhere. However my biggest regret is actually keeping 1 to build. It really is lackluster and may just take it apart so it doesn't take up display room... Figs are great though, and i'll likely keep them. Otherwise i'd be selling it as used %100 complete.

Many fans barely know about this ship and other casual people will have no clue that there ever was a ship in the movie. That may be a slight part why people could care less about this set/build? Anyhow, if you bought these under $75 and wait a bit longer until all the LotR/Hobbit stuff clear out then you might see some gain as others suspect...

• 2 months later...

I planned to buy tons of these last Fall, missed my chance and so have zero.  Seems like that's the right number, but I did expect it to do well.  There's a sort of lesson with both this and the lone ranger train I think: close isn't good enough.  A pirate ship needs to actually look like a classic square-rigged pirate ship to do well; a train needs power functions.  I am applying this lesson to Sea Cow, which I personally love, and skipping it.

• 5 months later...

This set just won't go away. I have zero right now, but there are five on the shelf at my TRU that keep calling my name. The thing is... the same boxes were there 3 or 4 months ago... a bit shelf worn... I asked if they had anymore in back and they said "no". So back then I asked the store manager if she would go 50% off the $99 price, if I took all 5 off her hands.  She said the best she could do would be 30% off. At the time, I could do 30% myself with coupons + TRUTH, so I decided to pass. Now - months later - I'm wondering if she might accept my offer. You know... year end and all... may need to clear things out? On the other hand, though, I'm thinking... the same 5 boxes sat there through Christmas - prominently displayed on and endcap - buyers must really hate this set? You can still buy them at toysrus.com, limit 5.  If Toysrus can't sell them at $99...with free Bricktober... or polybag promos... why should I want them?

The best thing about this set is all the minifigures, but yeah... the ship ain't much of a ship... not much to look at. Maybe I should just forget about it.