79008 - Pirate Ship Ambush

Am I crazy to think this set is retiring? I believe the set has been out only a year or so and it seems to be well liked set. It just seems to be going the way of the 79010 Goblin King. I just picked up 2 at different Kmarts for 40-50% off. I know some WalMarts have it at $70.00. It's readily available at S&****. It seemed they were giving the Goblin King away, then it retired. The only thing that throw me is, that it has not been out that long.

The 2014 product catalog has this set listed as available all year.  Personally, I don't think any more notable Hobbit/LotR sets will be retired before the third Hobbit movie drops.

Regarding the big sets on clearance- individual stores are usually given a master list of items available for clearance, and it's the manager's discretion what goes on.  Big sets move quickly when they debut but then kinda languish once the new wears off.  If a large set isn't selling, then a manager will clearance it out to free up that chunk of shelf space for smaller sets that will move some units.  My local Kmart is great about this.  It's a small store, and their Lego section is confined to one half of one side in an aisle.  I got a Turtle Lair Attack for 70% off around 2 months after the line debuted;  right now there's three of the $90 set from the 2014 Ninjago line in their clearance section.  No one seems interested, so I'm waiting for 50%.

Oh, and today at Kmart I also found an Arkansas Razorback (the closest thing we have to a real sports team) officially licensed zombie garden statue.  It's like a garden gnome, only instead of being a gnome it's a zombie in a Razorbacks t-shirt.  Totally random, but it was only $4.50 after SYWR coupons.  The wife's probably gonna put it on her desk at work.

The 2014 product catalog has this set listed as available all year.  Personally, I don't think any more notable Hobbit/LotR sets will be retired before the third Hobbit movie drops.

Regarding the big sets on clearance- individual stores are usually given a master list of items available for clearance, and it's the manager's discretion what goes on.  Big sets move quickly when they debut but then kinda languish once the new wears off.  If a large set isn't selling, then a manager will clearance it out to free up that chunk of shelf space for smaller sets that will move some units.  My local Kmart is great about this.  It's a small store, and their Lego section is confined to one half of one side in an aisle.  I got a Turtle Lair Attack for 70% off around 2 months after the line debuted;  right now there's three of the $90 set from the 2014 Ninjago line in their clearance section.  No one seems interested, so I'm waiting for 50%.

Oh, and today at Kmart I also found an Arkansas Razorback (the closest thing we have to a real sports team) officially licensed zombie garden statue.  It's like a garden gnome, only instead of being a gnome it's a zombie in a Razorbacks t-shirt.  Totally random, but it was only $4.50 after SYWR coupons.  The wife's probably gonna put it on her desk at work.

I've seen a few Wal-Marts restocking the LOTR Ghost Ships recently.

That make more since. I knew I was crazy.

I bought three of these and returned them since they were beaten up. The toys r us opened them up to make sure the bags were all there. All three sets had some loose parts that were larger. Is this how they come with some parts not in a bag?

Yeah a bunch of the set is not in bags - all the hull of the ship and sometimes the sails.

• Like 1

Target stores don't have it no more. Walmart and TRU still well stocked. It's not even a full year since it's out, correct. There should be some time to pick it up with 30% off or better.

My question is, does this set have any potential to be as good as the PotC ships after EOL? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honest truth. I bought 2 ships via Amazon BOGO. It came today and one box had two bad crush marks on it! I called the customer service and instead of me trying to get a replacement (there was none left via Amazon), I asked for my money back. Instead he offered me $25.29 credit to my debit card, and keep my original delivery! So I got a ship for like 80% off! ;)

Honest truth. I bought 2 ships via Amazon BOGO. It came today and one box had two bad crush marks on it! I called the customer service and instead of me trying to get a replacement (there was none left via Amazon), I asked for my money back. Instead he offered me $25.29 credit to my debit card, and keep my original delivery! So I got a ship for like 80% off! ;)

Nice, I just sent 2 trashed ones back today so they should have them back in-stock soon! :yes:

• 1 month later...