79008 - Pirate Ship Ambush

This ship was in the movies and it has a lot of cool mini figures that are exclusive to this set. I would probably expect to see some Cyber Monday deal on it like Helms Deep had last year. I am definitely going to pick up a few. It's a key part of LOTR in the movies and it's a ship.

I would pick up some then. Just not doing the $74+

Again, Black Pearl is iconic to that franchise. It is in every movie I believe, and the first movie has Black Pearl in the title and the whole story revolves around that ship and it's cursed crew. No one even knows the name of this LOTR ship and if it was in the movies, I bet most people don't even remember it. It didn't even make it into the Lego LOTR game.

Edited by mscheaf

you are 100% correct.  we are just hoping that this set being a ship (boat) and LOTR's popularity helps after retirement.

I would pick up some then. Just not doing the $74+

Again, Black Pearl is iconic to that franchise. It is in every movie I believe, and the first movie has Black Pearl in the title and the whole story revolves around that ship and it's cursed crew. No one even knows the name of this LOTR ship and if it was in the movies, I bet most people don't even remember it. It didn't even make it into the Lego LOTR game.

All these reasons you guys say not to buy make buying them even better. At a price below $60 you won't lose. It's a ship that any LOTR fan would know since it showed up and saved them. This is the only set that has Undead men. If a LOTR set outside of Orthanc will do well then it's this one

I would probably pick some up under $60, just haven't had that chance.

All these reasons you guys say not to buy make buying them even better. At a price below $60 you won't lose. It's a ship that any LOTR fan would know since it showed up and saved them. This is the only set that has Undead men. If a LOTR set outside of Orthanc will do well then it's this one

Agree, and ships do at least OK in the end... All the brown is pretty dull, though. Black Pearl had similar doubts maybe based on so much black but it displays much better on a shelf than this one i think (wish BP had tattered sails or at least a subtle print, though). 

Agree, and ships do at least OK in the end... All the brown is pretty dull, though. Black Pearl had similar doubts maybe based on so much black but it displays much better on a shelf than this one i think (wish BP had tattered sails or at least a subtle print, though).

much more accurate comparison is the Castle Troll Warship. Is has done very nice and it's about the same size. I would expect to similar gains with this set.

Oops, sensitive screen.  Anyway what I was going to type my assessment of the potential future price of this set at 160-180 is completely reasonable if it compares favorably to the Troll Warship.  2.5 times your money if you are in at the right price.

Entry point is the only worthy stat when looking at CAGR not MSRP.  If you are any kind of brickpicker it is rare to pay retail on non-exclusives.

I didn't intend to submit a message with just "So" in it. 

I've had my doubts as others have said, this ship is not the beauty of BP & QAR. However, I had the same feelings and doubts and passed on all Ghost Trains at $54 and now they're going for double that and slowly climbing.

Going off topic...the amount of hate the Ghost Train got (size, not being a 'real train', unlicensed theme, massively discounted for long periods of time, etc., etc.) went in one of my ears and out the other. I stocked up all day around the $50-55 buy in amount and couldn't be happier. Then again, I don't expect a doubling of investment months after buying and am generally conservative, but I expect the PSA to be the same. I'd bet that with a well planned buy in, you'll be pleased in eighteen months or so regardless of what folks are saying.

• Like 1

much more accurate comparison is the Castle Troll Warship. Is has done very nice and it's about the same size. I would expect to similar gains with this set.

So it's as good as that set quality wise,,,,,but it also has the fanbase of one of the most popular novels & films ever.

I'd expect this set to surprise in a good way. I feel very well stocked in it (for someone of my $$ level). However every day i see one for $77 and i dont buy it, i feel like i'm leaving easy $$$ on the table.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waited for these to drop below $75 and they never did. Guess I missed this one. Oh well.

Same here...got about 5...most when Amazon had a bogo so I think the came out to like 63...this line has been crap and I feel like I'll need to hold them 3 years to make $$ but ships do well so even if I didn't have any I would probably grab a few at the current 76ish Amazon price because this along with helms deep is the best set.

Waited for these to drop below $75 and they never did. Guess I missed this one. Oh well.

Not to call you out man but I thought you weren't buying any for anything above $50? :)  IMO if you believe it is late in the game for this one (near EOL) and the set has potential than the $5-$10 in price doesn't make much difference now. Amazon still have it for $76.

Edited by allen9917