Not very good news

I wouldn't say they consistently underprice their sets. In the particular case of the Crawler it might have been that way, but the main reason a secondary market exists is because once LEGO stops producing these sets supply drops substantially and those who want them really have no choice other than buying from us. I don't think anyone would have been willing to pay $500 for a Market Street while it was still being sold at LEGO stores

I wouldn't say they consistently underprice their sets. In the particular case of the Crawler it might have been that way, but the main reason a secondary market exists is because once LEGO stops producing these sets supply drops substantially and those who want them really have no choice other than buying from us. I don't think anyone would have been willing to pay $500 for a Market Street while it was still being sold at LEGO stores

That's exactly why they want to put a kabash on people owning 50 sets of something.  TLG wants more Market Streets and Cafe Corners to keep the interest going.  Most members here think there won't be a set with the stellar return like it used to.  That will take ever more people out of the game.

First, someone mentioned tracking credit cards. Most companies nowadays don't keep that info on file. The card may be saved to your profile, but the company typically does not have access to this. There has been a change in the fundamental way credit card information is stored and saved. Lego does NOT want to end up with a 20/20 Reporter with a camera knocking on their door asking how all their customer's credit card information was stolen. Not saying that all companies do this, but the risk outweighs the benefit WAY too much. Secondly, many companies and stores put limits on items. I went to CVS to load up on Diet Coke cause it was 5 12/packs for $10. Limit 10. Do you guys think they did this because they are afraid people will "horde" Diet Coke and resell it later and cut into their sales? They want it to be available for the majority of their customers. I think some people put WAY too much emphasis on their role in TLG's Corporate strategy.

Guest TabbyBoy

Why is there a "secondary" market?  There isn't one for megablocks.  Lego consistantly under prices their products, and doesn't make enough.  This is all very simple to me.  If the crawlers are selling for $400--then Lego should have done market research and priced them at $400.  If they sold out of 20K at $200 and wanted to leave the price point alone, they should have printed 50k.  The secondary market is only picking up the scraps that Lego, Amazn et all are leaving on the retail table.

Because Mega Bloks is crap?