The Anti-BrickPicker Effect

Care to elaborate on what your initial strategy was and what made you change?

Sure. I started this very recently, around Jan of this year and have learnt quite a bit in that period. My first months focused into the traditional buy and hold strategy most of us follow here, hoping to sell in 2-4 years. The need for investment capital pushed me more towards quick flips to fund my long term purchases. Suddenly, the quick flips were producing a lot more money than I thought it could in a very short period of time (say 2 months or so), so I have since shifted most of my attention towards doing that while still purchasing the occasional set for the long term.

Basically, diversification.

• Like 4

Sure. I started this very recently, around Jan of this year and have learnt quite a bit in that period. My first months focused into the traditional buy and hold strategy most of us follow here, hoping to sell in 2-4 years. The need for investment capital pushed me more towards quick flips to fund my long term purchases. Suddenly, the quick flips were producing a lot more money than I thought it could in a very short period of time (say 2 months or so), so I have since shifted most of my attention towards doing that while still purchasing the occasional set for the long term.

This is a great illustration of how there are many facets to the Lego investment game, and one of the primary reasons I feel good about reselling for the foreseeable future.  There are so many ways to get into this game, and even more ways to tailor a strategy to match both your interests, goals and advantages.  Quick flipping new sets, used sets, minifigures, and buying/holding all of these can all bring returns. 

• Like 2

This is a great illustration of how there are many facets to the Lego investment game, and one of the primary reasons I feel good about reselling for the foreseeable future.  There are so many ways to get into this game, and even more ways to tailor a strategy to match both your interests, goals and advantages.  Quick flipping new sets, used sets, minifigures, and buying/holding all of these can all bring returns. 

Exactly!  Its a market just like any other.  TLG just happens to be "The Fed".  There are so many ways to invest.  But first one must have a goal, without that, floundering will commence.  

• Like 1

Guest ph4tb0i

this is exactly what I did too!

At first I was buying Lego for long term. Realized I had too much capital held up for long term, needed some quick flips for more cash (if you watch Fast ****** Loud on Discovery, my life is almost like a continuous episode of this right now.. lol). Ended up buying things other than Lego that I quick flipped and made a ton of money on (e.***. I bought some software for 7 dollars and flipped it for 500 on eBay LOL). Now I've definitely blown way past the "taxman won't get me" line so I rolled the ebay thing into a sub division into my corporation and now run an online selling business on top of my IT consulting/contracting work. 

Life does move pretty fast. :D

Exactly!  Its a market just like any other.  TLG just happens to be "The Fed".  There are so many ways to invest.  But first one must have a goal, without that, floundering will commence.  

Agreed - frankly, I bet there are a lot of people that were enticed into this business by the "buy/hold" strategy, but as they came to learn about the market branched out into different sides of the business.  I count myself among this number...

Exactly! Its a market just like any other. TLG just happens to be "The Fed". There are so many ways to invest. But first one must have a goal, without that, floundering will commence.

I disagree, I don't think a goal is necessary at all. I certainly don't have one, beyond one day building 10179. I've evolved much the same way Barca did. Now I fund my long term investments through gains from flips. If I had stuck to my previous ambition of simply stockpiling sealed sets, I'd be missing out on all the fun I'm having now.

I suppose I do have a goal after all: Lego is fun, and I want to get my hands on as much as I can, as cheap as I can.

Agreed - frankly, I bet there are a lot of people that were enticed into this business by the "buy/hold" strategy, but as they came to learn about the market branched out into different sides of the business.  I count myself among this number...

I was enticed by a buy and hold strategy but with a slightly different angle.  My goal was to build inventory throughout the year on buying below MSRP, then unloading it in during the holidays.  This will be my first season for doing it, so we will see how it goes.  But if these Lego clearance opportunities happen several times a year at the big box stores, then I will likely be flipping throughout the year starting in 2014.  With slowly building the inventory for Christmas 2014.

• Like 1

The best for me is when people sell lots on craigslist look up the price here and want that amount for their set. Usually its incomplete no box no instructions and they don't account for the eBay fees if they sold their item online but they want that Brickpicker price.....

Love the site but its not all gravy... 

You are right about that...  There is a CL post saying selling a 4148 nearly new condition, and I send an email asking is the box sealed? and then the reply was no it's open and built but was never played, and asking for 200.  I wonder how they come up with the number???

?

It's true. I buy and sell Lego willy-nilly :) I don't have a ROI in mind, or a timeframe, or even a strategy, really. If I see a deal I can make money from, I might buy. Sometimes I buy to sell and end up keeping instead, or vice versa. Some months I sell 3 sets, other months I sell 23. Sometimes I profit, sometimes I sell at a loss because I want to re-invest. Really I'm just trying to explore all the possibilities between collector and reseller.

It's a hobby, for me. What's the point of a hobby if the hobby has a point?

It's true. I buy and sell Lego willy-nilly :) I don't have a ROI in mind, or a timeframe, or even a strategy, really. If I see a deal I can make money from, I might buy. Sometimes I buy to sell and end up keeping instead, or vice versa. Some months I sell 3 sets, other months I sell 23. Sometimes I profit, sometimes I sell at a loss because I want to re-invest. Really I'm just trying to explore all the possibilities between collector and reseller.

It's a hobby, for me. What's the point of a hobby if the hobby has a point?

Diabolos80, next time you feel like selling a set for much less than MSRP, could you send me a PM first ?  We may be able to work out a deal :)

Raichu, it's not as odd as you might think. I'll buy, say, a Palace Cinema, build it, sell it, and roll that money into something else.

This point has been made before, but apparently it bears repeating: there are all kinds of ways to enjoy Lego. Some of them make money. Others are just for the fun.

Raichu, it's not as odd as you might think. I'll buy, say, a Palace Cinema, build it, sell it, and roll that money into something else.

This point has been made before, but apparently it bears repeating: there are all kinds of ways to enjoy Lego. Some of them make money. Others are just for the fun.

I was being dead serious.  I understood what you were saying, I was trying to save you some eBay fees :)

I was being dead serious.  I understood what you were saying, I was trying to save you some eBay fees :)

Consider it done, then. Ebay fees DO make it hard to justify a 'rental' set. After fees and shipping on my palace cinema, my cost to build it was $48. 13% saves on fees would have resulted in a $26 cost instead.