Craigslist pros, would you make an offer on this?

nolanfan34

If he has figures for sets, offer $25/tote and see what happens.  The dwarf mine alone would cover a good chunk of that cost, plus it's a really cool set if you're keeping this.  There are obvious Star Wars sets that they don't have instructions for, so there is some decent turnover for sets, but only if the figures are included.  That is always the key with me, as it makes all the difference when flipping.

$50? Wow. I`m not from the states, but that would be a steal. Something like this would be listed on kijiji for likely $300-$400. If I was buying, I`d likely offer $150-$200 for the lot. Amazing how the market is so very, very different. Best of luck with this though, should you decided to make an offer. 

So the instructions are amiss, the figs have been culled, and the sets are in an odd state halfway between built and not.

It's modern licensed sets, with no figs. And a separate bag of figs, with no fleshies to be seen.

If you started the whole lot, as is, at $0.99 in auction, I doubt you'd be bid more than $200 w/ free shipping. And you'll never get it off the seller for less than $100.

To get a respectable listing out of this lot would take some moderate research, a healthy budget, and experience with the not-at-all-easy-for-beginners BrickLink.

I don't consider this a profitable project. Leave this for the guy who needs cheap parts for MOCs.

Sorry I don't really have good advice for you other than I've recently purchased a bunch of bulk lots (from eBay) and while I will make a good return on my money eventually, I'm just a little overwhelmed by all the sorting and searching for pieces but I'm especially overwhelmed with all the sets that are nearly complete but missing a small number of pieces. It doesn't help that my kids want to play with the completed sets and end up scattering or mixing up parts. Don't let anything I said hold you back but it's something to be aware of.

I'm not a fan of bulk lots on CL in which they cull the minifigures. When I buy things on CL I generally like to buy from sellers who are trying to get rid of stuff from their house for an honest buck. When they pull minifigs like that it often (not always) means they are looking to profit and there's a good chance they've also pulled unique pieces, baseplates, etc.

Maybe I just see this more in my area because it's competitive, but that's just one of my rules. As it is, most listings of bulk lots don't last even an hour here.

The green bug right in front it Twitch from Toy Story, about a $10-15 figure, about the rarest from the theme.  I stand by my price at about $25/bin, especially knowing that the figures are gone.  This would be something to just keep, though, not for resell.  You're going to have to find parts, and you know the guy is wanting too much for the figures since he took the time to separate them, which is a red flag in any sale.  If they took the time to separate those, then you have to ask yourself what else got separated.

Guest betsy805

I'd never buy sets that they've pulled the minifigures from.  I look for the people who put little work into the listing because they don't realize how much the manuals and figures add to the desirability/profit.... they just want to get rid of them.

Guest betsy805

How about this one? Betsy, guessing you have seen this one....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tag/3997058542.html

yep, saw that one!  $550 is WAY too much, especially if the intent was to resell.  It's getting harder to find good deals on there lately, and it seems like the number of resellers on seattle craigslist has quadrupled in the 6 months that I've been reselling.  If you ever see any of the new sets from Matt in South Everett, they are totally illegally obtained.  Went to meet him once to see what he had and all the white security barcodes on the bottoms of the boxes had been ripped off, leaving missing bits of cardboard.

yep, saw that one!  $550 is WAY too much, especially if the intent was to resell.  It's getting harder to find good deals on there lately, and it seems like the number of resellers on seattle craigslist has quadrupled in the 6 months that I've been reselling.  If you ever see any of the new sets from Matt in South Everett, they are totally illegally obtained.  Went to meet him once to see what he had and all the white security barcodes on the bottoms of the boxes had been ripped off, leaving missing bits of cardboard.

Yeah, I could tell that from the listing prices. Never bothered to contact him.