A Serious Discussion about Brick Classifieds

Here are a couple of points and questions that are running through my head.  Forgive me if most points were addressed.  I haven't read all 9 pages.

I think a couple members have trouble getting over the concept of paying fees for selling sets on a site when most lego forums allow you to post for sale threads for free. If I wanted to sell a lego set (which I haven't done), I could just go to a site like bricklink and make a thread for free.

because the thread on Bricklink will not be as good as a classifieds post with pictures, details. And in a better format. And we wont have all that crap in our forums.

This has become a very long and interesting (tedious at times) thread since this morning when i was headed out the door.

So here are my thoughts on your original questions and a couple things that have come in between. These are just thoughts and opinions right or wrong take them with a grain of salt.

As to the Brickowl or Bricklink 2.0, Brickowl has not intrigued me at all. It wants to be bricklink but isn't quite there. they don't really offer anything new to attract people to them. As for Bricklink I have used it as a buyer and seller and will continue to do both. it does need an overhaul but it has a huge following and therefore the traffic we all want to see here.

the ability to advertise here, while a nice option, is not at the moment for me. I am not currently set up with a full fledged store/site to direct people towards at this point. 

A yearly subscription fee while in the long term may be a benefit would probably keep me from using the service again because my selling ebbs and flows and i hate to pay for a year of something and only use it for two months.

The use of brickpoints for listing if you allow members to buy brickpoints as needed and in different quantities ($5, $10, $25, $50) would eliminate the need for an annual fee or tiered pricing and would also eliminate any hesitation for people like myself who are small potatoes in the reselling game. It could be more a pay as you go. I personally would find this more appealing. 

i know there were a few more items I wanted to mention but I can't recall what they were. 

Let me educate you on how much money the site costs to operate and the time involved running it. Your non-US data costs us over $20,000 annually to obtain. We asked for nothing from members. The data is not yet up to par to the US data beause the US data has been in our system for a full two years more than the non-US data. It takes time to get enough listings to get accurate prices, but I guess you knew this...becuase you are a internet guru. Besides that one cost, there are thousands of other dollars that are spent monthly to maintain the site. Also, the time Jeff and I spend on the site probably doubles whatever hours you put in working at your job...if you even have one.

Just finished reading through and first off, let me say very nice job on what you are doing here with the site overall, seriously, it's a great site.  Second I would like to say that the person you banned was a complete idiot :) Anyhow, I would just like to say that you guys are quite brave if you are investing this much of your money and your time into this site and getting very little back in return.  I really wonder how many of these members actually click your links and buy something.  People I have tried this before (unfortunately on a pretty unsuccessful site) and it takes a lot to generate revenue.  Many of you obviously have some extra disposable income if you are buying expensive Lego sets by the multiples, so would $20 or $50 or even $100 a year really put a huge dent in your wallet if it gave you a positive avenue to sell more sets and pocket much more profit and based on their track record so far, put more value back in the site so you are actually getting even more?  My guess based on being a web project manager and crappy programmer for a few years is that this site may cost upwards if not more than $50k a year to run.  That may be more than some of on this site even make in a year.  That is their business and good for them if they can do it.  I know people want to be business savvy, etc, and question things, that is fine.  I have a gut feeling that this product will probably be more enjoyable and successful than some of the other ventures going on.  I will personally invest my money here and I do like the one time yearly fee with unlimited listings and no commissions.  I am sure I can probably sell 5-10 Star Wars or Harry Potter sets and make my investment back and enjoy the rest of year with no fees.  If it goes the Brickpoints route, I think that will work just fine as well.  

I feel like this site would be a great place to sell mixed lots as well. Thoughts?

I agree i dabble in bying bulk lots and I put some sets together, I sell some by the peice and I sell some in bulk This may be a bit off topic but I was thinking as I bought my last bulk lot that it would be nice if the price guide had a category to log and track the going rate for Bulk lego by the pound. 

Here is a semi-related question. Could I sell my custom WW2 LEGO minifigures on here or advertise my eBay WW2 custom minifigure listings or is the BC only for official LEGO sets/minifigures?

For you, sure, but it will cost you 1 million Brickpoints for each minifgure your post :)

Yes there will be a custom category for people to put, well honestly whatever the heck they want as long as its LEGO related.

• Like 2

I know if I see a BC listing from Barca or Akohns, I'm gonna get what I pay for. And they know that if I buy their stuff from BC, they just saved 7-8% commission fees.

The forums are growing too quick for me to keep up these days, but there are still plenty of familiar faces around. Any time I can buy from or sell to a person with known character is worth whatever sacrifice I made in moving away from mass sites like ebay.

A couple days of conversation is worth loads more than a feedback score. That alone makes BC enticing. Frankly I don't care about the format, tools, or fees. To me, a bit of trust is worth more.

• Like 6

I know if I see a BC listing from Barca or Akohns, I'm gonna get what I pay for. And they know that if I buy their stuff from BC, they just saved 7-8% commission fees.

The forums are growing too quick for me to keep up these days, but there are still plenty of familiar faces around. Any time I can buy from or sell to a person with known character is worth whatever sacrifice I made in moving away from mass sites like ebay.

A couple days of conversation is worth loads more than a feedback score. That alone makes BC enticing. Frankly I don't care about the format, tools, or fees. To me, a bit of trust is worth more.

Exactly. 

Its funny, I was just looking the other day how to make the "Friends" feature of these forums useful.  I was checking to see how I can add a "Check Brickpicker Friends" filter so you can look and search their listings.  Will make it easier.

• Like 2

Its funny, I was just looking the other day how to make the "Friends" feature of these forums useful.  I was checking to see how I can add a "Check Brickpicker Friends" filter so you can look and search their listings.  Will make it easier.

This exactly. If I could only have one tool, this would be it.

Just finished reading through and first off, let me say very nice job on what you are doing here with the site overall, seriously, it's a great site.  Second I would like to say that the person you banned was a complete idiot :) Anyhow, I would just like to say that you guys are quite brave if you are investing this much of your money and your time into this site and getting very little back in return.  I really wonder how many of these members actually click your links and buy something.  People I have tried this before (unfortunately on a pretty unsuccessful site) and it takes a lot to generate revenue.  Many of you obviously have some extra disposable income if you are buying expensive Lego sets by the multiples, so would $20 or $50 or even $100 a year really put a huge dent in your wallet if it gave you a positive avenue to sell more sets and pocket much more profit and based on their track record so far, put more value back in the site so you are actually getting even more?  My guess based on being a web project manager and crappy programmer for a few years is that this site may cost upwards if not more than $50k a year to run.  That may be more than some of on this site even make in a year.  That is their business and good for them if they can do it.  I know people want to be business savvy, etc, and question things, that is fine.  I have a gut feeling that this product will probably be more enjoyable and successful than some of the other ventures going on.  I will personally invest my money here and I do like the one time yearly fee with unlimited listings and no commissions.  I am sure I can probably sell 5-10 Star Wars or Harry Potter sets and make my investment back and enjoy the rest of year with no fees.  If it goes the Brickpoints route, I think that will work just fine as well.  

Thanks for the kind words.  The site is very expensive to run.  If Jeff wasn't a top programmer, it would never work as a business model.  We both have full time "real" jobs and we reinvest all of our money into the site.  We hope one day to actually make some money.  We don't want a pity party.  We just want people to realize there is costs to every new feature we add to the site and the Classifieds will be a huge cost on time and effort on our part.  We hope to make it a worthwhile experience for members, but at some point, there might be fees associated with the Classifieds that will enable us to improve the site further.

I can take a shirt but I hope nobody puts up some underwear for sale. :scare:

I think my 2 year old has some Lego Star Wars Yoda underwear he may have outgrown...

But seriously. Jeff & Ed, you guys are awesome. Keep up the good work. Thanks so much for listening to everyone and being part of the discussion rather than just making changes without warning.

I second this.  I for one can vouch for FCB - a great seller I wouldn't hesitate to buy from again.  Once BC starts up, I will look for his listings specifically...

• Like 1

I can take a shirt but I hope nobody puts up some underwear for sale. :scare:

Well, great. Now what am I gonna do with all these lego star wars boxers?

They're 100% complete in excellent used condition! Adult owned, display only, never played with!

Back on topic, I like the idea of no stock photos. I get tired of ebay sellers wanting $300 for a used set, but they're too lazy or ignorant to post an actual pic. I've passed on some real bargains because of this. Pics or it didn't happen!

That is spot-on! There are lots of great members on here that I wouldn't mind completing transactions with because I trust them and I know my money is going to a great person. That is a lot better than buying from a complete stranger in eBay.

The tier system was just a members idea, but it was and is an option for us.  Our system at the moment is based on ONE BRICKPOINT PER DOLLAR ADVERTISED, with the option to buy discounted Brickpoints.  Jeff talked about an upfront fee, but that was just a hypothetical question, not what we were planning on using.  The Brickpoint plan enables many members to post for FREE.  Even if they run out, they can buy discounted BPs that would make commissions a half of a percent if so desired.  

The Brick Classifieds are a nice fringe benefit for members.  We do not expect to make millions by selling LEGO sets here.  We have to charge something in order to keep it legit.  These other forums you speak of will not be anything like what we have to offer.  They are forums, this is an interactive sales tool, not unlike eBay or Bricklink.  

I cannot promise that people will post items at fair prices.  I can only hope they pass on the saving from commissions to the buyers.

About bold thing I have another semi related question...

If those purchasable brickpoints on discounted cost can be used for buying sets from brickstore you checked the ratios so that those sets on brickstore will not be too cheap/costly ?

Guest eightbrick

If those purchasable brickpoints on discounted cost can be used for buying sets from brickstore you checked the ratios so that those sets on brickstore will not be too cheap/costly ?

It should be fine (hopefully). At the suggested rate, it is going to take 5K to put that Falcon into lightspeed, 25 bucks for one of the Brickmaster polys, or 50 bucks for the Extremis Port Battle so I don't think anyone is going to use it in that respect, but for listing it is a good price.

Figure it out.  At the current discounted rate to purchase Brickpoints, it would cost someone $5000 to buy my 10179.  Go ahead...make my day.

We are still tweaking the Brickpoints costs.  It might be changed slightly if we go that route.  After this discussion come to a close and we figure out the best way to charge for advertising listings from member feedback, Jeff and I will move forward with implementing that into the Classifieds and we will release the Beta version.  

Figure it out.  At the current discounted rate to purchase Brickpoints, it would cost someone $5000 to buy my 10179.  Go ahead...make my day.

We are still tweaking the Brickpoints costs.  It might be changed slightly if we go that route.  After this discussion come to a close and we figure out the best way to charge for advertising listings from member feedback, Jeff and I will move forward with implementing that into the Classifieds and we will release the Beta version.  

Yeah I did not bother to do math tests yesterday.... I just remembered and figured to bring it to attention just in case.... 50$ for 10.000 brickpoints? thats ok... thats roughly 37