A Serious Discussion about Brick Classifieds

1. The main concern I and many members have is traffic.  When Ed asked what was the biggest factor in a new online marketplace, the #1 answer was traffic of potential buyers. Any decent sellers know, traffics will be the main concern for any new marketplace, be it online or B&M.  Ed and Jeff had repeatedly said that the traffics on Bricklink price guide dwarfed the forum's traffic.  It would be much easier for some us if Ed and Jeff could show us the evidence of that.  Perhaps a simple bar chart to show how much traffics vs click through the price guide gets from search engine crawlers (Google, Bing, etc) vs non members (guests) vs members with less than 100 forum posts vs members with 100+ forum posts. 

"Seeing is believing" is the idea here. Quite frankly, eBay, Amazon, and Bricklink have years of sales to back them up. Since I am not one of those early adaptors, I can't justify getting into new marketplace (Brickowl, etc) without some kind of idea of the user traffics.

Question for you Ed and Jeff:

What steps will you be taking to introduce the classifieds to the outside world once they are complete, up, and running? Will you be relying on word I mouth to get more people to come to the site looking to buy? Will the LEGO news blogs and sites pick up on the introduction of the service? Basically, what will you guys be doing to assure sellers get adequate views, and hopefully, adequate sales?

I will be quite honest with you guys.  If you use the service when its up and running then great.  I hope you do.  If you don't use it fully, then maybe you will use parts of it.  It will be different than the other sites.  This here was a simple conversation to gauge interest and talk about some options.  I can't believe that Ed and I owe people all out business plans, traffic statistics and I guess our last two years of tax documents.  We have gotten the site to this point in a short time, I guess we still need to prove ourselves more.  Yes I would hope that the people that use this site would care enough to share that their listings are here.  That is the fastest way to let people know.  We are trying to put money in your pockets.  I think you would realize that once it is live, that I would do some of my own advertising to announce it.

• Like 2

I will be quite honest with you guys.  If you use the service when its up and running then great.  I hope you do.  If you don't use it fully, then maybe you will use parts of it.  It will be different than the other sites.  This here was a simple conversation to gauge interest and talk about some options.  I can't believe that Ed and I owe people all out business plans, traffic statistics and I guess our last two years of tax documents.  We have gotten the site to this point in a short time, I guess we still need to prove ourselves more.  Yes I would hope that the people that use this site would care enough to share that their listings are here.  That is the fastest way to let people know.  We are trying to put money in your pockets.  I think you would realize that once it is live, that I would do some of my own advertising to announce it.

You don't need to prove yourselves - the site will have traffic. I think people worry more about this with a yearly listing fee though. You pay something up front, you want to make sure it will pay off. I definitely think it would though - I know there are certain things I think will do a lot better on sites like this.

I like paying per listing - just my opinion, but maybe you can offer both? Cheaper if you buy a full year?

When I originally thought about it, I think it was a little more in depth and sounded like something to compete with Ebay/Amazon etc. However, after hearing more about it, I can see where things fit and what i would sell better and in reality, it should become really great:

1. If I buy a set and it doesn't work out, I can sell it here and only eat the cost of shipping for the most part.

2. Flipping sets will be much easier because you can work with a smaller profit margin since you aren't having to pay that 10%.

3. Specialty sets that have to have the right buyers will do well on here.

4. Just general exposure.

Honestly, I am more excited about it than ever.

I may be speaking out of turn, but this will be indexed by google just like the regular website right? If so, it will get plenty of hits and traffic when people just search for Lego set listings. Nothing to worry about.

Absolutely can't wait!

I sense my post had hit a nerve. I can assure you that it was not my intention.  I merely thought since we were having discussion on the subject, I look at it from a business point of view and let my questions flow.  I do not run a website so I did not know that traffic was such a sensitive issue. That point #1 was merely an idea to help convince more people to be less sceptical to BrickClassified.  Point #2 was a real concern and I thought I pointed out since I did not remember seeing any discussions on it. Point #3 was a logical how to compete question.

Based on the above response though, my questions are not where this thread needs to go.  So I am going to be respectfully watching from the sidelines :)

Yeah Jeff, I was just asking questions. I already said I was going to use the service, I was just curious was all.

• Like 1

I think this conversation is great... but its getting tough to participate if you (Ed and Jeff) are not willing to atleast give us estimates of what the fees would be (how high and other smaller details)

I mean if you 2 atleast say what you think you would like to do we can give you much better feedback of what we think.

I personally think if we only get 1 annual fee (100$ for example) to list sets for whole year, then thats bad.

My biggest things that will determine if I will sell here regular or not are:

- fee system (I read Ed said we could pay with brickpoints)

- listing types (BIN is perfect) - here I am especially thinking of spam problems... if latest listing goes on top there needs to be either limit of listings per member per day or manual approving by Jeff and Ed... (more wasting time!)

If I were you I would advise the following system:

100 brickpoints for 1 listing (lasts 7 days)

250 brickpoints for 1 listing (lasts 30 days)

20$ paid upfront 50 listings (max 5 per day) 

30$ paid upfront 100 listings (max 5 per day)

40$ paid upfront 150 listings (max 5 per day)

90(or maybe 100) $ paid upfront UNLIMITED LISTINGS for 1 year (max 10 listings per day) 

Thats my idea, that goes well and competes with Ebay and is relatively low.

I really don't know of any other LEGO site that asks for as much input as we do.  I can assure all of you that we value your money and don't want to put out inferior products.  That being said, the idea of this thread was to gauge interest in the Classifieds and to see how much more we should put into them before launching them.  I can see expectations vary greatly and what I can tell you is all of you will benefit to some degree, if you so choose.  We have no fee structure in place.  That's why we asked about it in the first place.  I am having reservations even making any sort of advanced sales listings because people would expect too many guarantees for very little fees that are paid.

What I can promise all of you is some sort of trial period in which everyone will be able to post their items(or a certain amount of items) for free.  It will last long enough so that we can figure out what is effective and what is not.  This will hopefully answer many questions.  

I think this conversation is great... but its getting tough to participate if you (Ed and Jeff) are not willing to atleast give us estimates of what the fees would be (how high and other smaller details)

I mean if you 2 atleast say what you think you would like to do we can give you much better feedback of what we think.

I personally think if we only get 1 annual fee (100$ for example) to list sets for whole year, then thats bad.

- listing types (BIN is perfect) - here I am especially thinking of spam problems... if latest listing goes on top there needs to be either limit of listings per member per day or manual approving by Jeff and Ed... (more wasting time!)

90(or maybe 100) $ paid upfront UNLIMITED LISTINGS for 1 year (max 10 listings per day) 

Alcarin, do you have a problem with your enter/return key?  Why do all your posts have a massive amount of space in between the paragraphs.

Alcarin, do you have a problem with your enter/return key?  Why do all your posts have a massive amount of space in between the paragraphs.

while i like to use enter keys I did not want to put that much I'll check might be a problem here and clicked too much lol sorry!

Our original plan was to let people use Brickpoints to pay for listings.  It still might be the plan.  The charge would be ONE BRICKPOINT FOR ONE DOLLAR ADVERTISED.  A five dollar set will cost you 5 Brickpoints.   A $100 set will cost you 100 Brickpoints.  We will also give you the ability to buy Brickpoints at discounted rates.  10,000 Brickpoints would cost $50, so in other words, you can sell $10,000 worth of LEGO sets for $50...LESS THAN 1% COMMISSION!.

By using the Brickpoints as payment, many active site members will never have to pay for selling a LEGO set on our site.  I don't know how we can be any fairer than that.

I sense my post had hit a nerve. I can assure you that it was not my intention.  I merely thought since we were having discussion on the subject, I look at it from a business point of view and let my questions flow.  I do not run a website so I did not know that traffic was such a sensitive issue. That point #1 was merely an idea to help convince more people to be less sceptical to BrickClassified.  Point #2 was a real concern and I thought I pointed out since I did not remember seeing any discussions on it. Point #3 was a logical how to compete question.

Based on the above response though, my questions are not where this thread needs to go.  So I am going to be respectfully watching from the sidelines :)

Its not that you hit a nerve, its just really, the amount that we Ed and I invest in this site should be proof enough that our goal is to get people here to view your listings.  If the yearly fee was a whopping $20, do we really need to unload all of the statistics, advertising plans.  You are looking at less that $2/month for no commission fees.  How much could that possibly put back in your pocket and yet help fund the site to do even more so that you can benefit even more.  Is that worth the risk?  In my opinion, everyone here would win, win, win.  Even like someone else suggested $50 is still not that much for the return could be. You sell one set, you can make your investment back.  People blow $50 on going to dinner for an hour our two.  Going to the a 3D iMax movie for 2 hours.  But yet, something to invest in your business is questionable to people. If anyone is skeptical of us at this point I don't know what to tell you.

Our original plan was to let people use Brickpoints to pay for listings.  It still might be the plan.  The charge would be ONE BRICKPOINT FOR ONE DOLLAR ADVERTISED.  A five dollar set will cost you 5 Brickpoints.   A $100 set will cost you 100 Brickpoints.  We will also give you the ability to buy Brickpoints at discounted rates.  10,000 Brickpoints would cost $50, so in other words, you can sell $10,000 worth of LEGO sets for $50...LESS THAN 1% COMMISSION!.

By using the Brickpoints as payment, mant active site members will never have to pay for selling a LEGO set on our site.  I don't know how we can be any fairer than that.

Thats overkill already lol... I would not be that generous lol...

But good idea.

the only question is ... is that 1 brickpoint per 1$ sold or 1$ listed :)

but ye very good ideas all over... i think a combined ways of advertising is the best... giving us option to list with brickpoints + yearly fee for big sellers + something in between (but if you give purchasing with brickpoints then thats the middle way already)

Alcarin, please go create a website and use this plan, I see ZERO members.  Please guys, don't listen to anything this one says :)

Let these guys continue with whatever they are doing, anything they come up with will be better than this suggestion.

• Like 1

but ye very good ideas all over... i think a combined ways of advertising is the best... giving us option to list with brickpoints + yearly fee for big sellers + something in between (but if you give purchasing with brickpoints then thats the middle way already)

Yes, just give everyone a million options.  You really have no idea what you want.  I think they stated several times, they want a simple solution.  If you want to alienate people, give toooo many options and people will be like "WTF?" 

I am just asking, how many sets do you sell a year?

Alcarin, please go create a website and use this plan, I see ZERO members.  Please guys, don't listen to anything this one says :)

Let these guys continue with whatever they are doing, anything they come up with will be better than this suggestion.

You see nothing because you are blind.... ever heard of brain storming.... gee... another 60 posts member with loads of anti to say and nothing to add. congratulations.

Yes, just give everyone a million options. You really have no idea what you want. I think they stated several times, they want a simple solution. If you want to alientate people, give toooo many options and people will be like "WTF?"

Or give them only 1 and pay 100$ or whatever a year right? I am sure poor ebay needs to start cutting options.

I am just asking, how many sets do you sell a year?

None of your business really.

Guest eightbrick

He was just putting out some thoughts, and although some members did deserve it I am getting sort of tired of you bashing everyone you disagree with. He was pointing out ideas for the tiered payment system that was suggested earlier in the discussion, and the fact that that suggestion was quite popular just disproves that people will not listen to a word he says.

Personally, I would be fine with any system they come up with for the Classifieds. As JoshTX said, I would much rather sell to Brickpickers (especially people who comment a lot on the site) than some random bloke on eBay who knows nothing about the value of Lego.

Thats overkill already lol... I would not be that generous lol...

But good idea.

the only question is ... is that 1 brickpoint per 1$ sold or 1$ listed :)

To list.  There are no auctions.  You pay to list a Buy it Now LEGO set.  One time fee.  I don't care what you sell it for if cheaper prices were negotiated behind the scenes.

That's the whole point of this discussion.  But remember this, for a very simple fee structure like that, you will not get a lot of bells and whistles and certainly zero guarantees.  You pay to list an item.  It is up to you and the other party to arrange payment and shipping options.  We might give you some tools to use, but we take no responsibility for transactions, just like newspapers.  

To list.  There are no auctions.  You pay to list a Buy it Now LEGO set.  One time fee.  I don't care what you sell it for if cheaper prices were negotiated behind the scenes.

That's the whole point of this discussion.  But remember this, for a very simple fee structure like that, you will not get a lot of bells and whistles and certainly zero guarantees.  You pay to list an item.  It is up to you and the other party to arrange payment and shipping options.  We might give you some tools to use, but we take no responsibility for transactions, just like newspapers.  

What I see here is listing stuff for 1$ (or something more to look legit) to pay less perhaps.

I know i would (personally) prefer pay what you sell and limit on amount of listings ... but thats just me and im sure most do not share such thought I guess.

What I see here is listing stuff for 1$ (or something more to look legit) to pay less perhaps.

I know i would (personally) prefer pay what you sell and limit on amount of listings ... but thats just me and im sure most do not share such thought I guess.

Alcarin, I am just curious, what is theory behind all the limiting of listings?  I personally see that as being counter productive.  For example. StarCityBrickCompany who is a good member here had over 400 ebay listings.  If he is willing to pay the small fee, or use brickpoints or whatever method we use, why should I limit the number of listings he displays?  I don't see how that is helping people find sets at hopefully good prices.  I don't see ho limiting the inventory on the site helps the site grow.

So you would prefer to punish people who want to list polybags or low cost items?  The listings will be broken down into set categories.  You will not have a 10179 listed with a $3 CMF.

Alcarin, I am just curious, what is theory behind all the limiting of listings?  I personally see that as being counter productive.  For example. StarCityBrickCompany who is a good member here had over 400 ebay listings.  If he is willing to pay the small fee, or use brickpoints or whatever method we use, why should I limit the number of listings he displays?  I don't see how that is helping people find sets at hopefully good prices.  I don't see ho limiting the inventory on the site helps the site grow.

I don't want to speak for him, but I was wondering the same thing and figured that he may believe a low or free cost of listing will encourage the spamming of listings and/or the less scrupulous people to post in an attempt to try to "rip-off" a member or two before they get caught and banned. Just my guess.

I explained i see no problem if it is being heavily monitored... Its hard to say, but my limitation is based on my personal thought that you will not monitor the spam (potential) and that the newest listing will be seen on top of page... 

I must say i have no idea how your classifieds looks graphically and hence the limits... If you plan to approve each individual listing with Ed I see no use in limits...

So you would prefer to punish people who want to list polybags or low cost items? The listings will be broken down into set categories. You will not have a 10179 listed with a $3 CMF.

Well I would personally like 1% commision (in either brickpoints or cash equivalent of the sold listing that both must confirm (buyer/seller to minimalize fraud) after item is sold.

And each member gets default xx (maybe 10?) listings (per username) and can buy more listing places with brickpoints/cash perhaps? 

I am just throwing ideas around here. 

I don't want to speak for him, but I was wondering the same thing and figured that he may believe a low or free cost of listing will encourage the spamming of listings and/or the less scrupulous people to post in an attempt to try to "rip-off" a member or two before they get caught and banned. Just my guess.

Yeah this is absolutely 1 bigger part of the reason of limits, 2nd is above in my post.

I think percentage commission after sale is done is best but its hard to fix this on this site since alot can be sidelined by private messages email etc. So that would need alot of work to fix such loopholes. 

If Ed you are ''set in stone'' about paying upfront based on  value you want to sell the items I can see ''alot'' of low prices and then you contact member thats selling who will say 

''The costs are actually XX more'' or shipping will suddenly be double of what actually is etc... So unless everyone will report them to you and Jeff and you will truly strictly IP and more ban them from the site I sense this will be a huge annoying problem and big turn off for buyers and then eventually sellers.