Were the 2013 SDCC Minifigure Raffles "rigged"?

Great, more power to them.

The look of joy on my kid's face when he gets LEGO's from me or anyone as a gift outweighs all the potential investing/money I could possibly make reselling them.

If someone in line is really truly upset that they didn't get one instead of a kid, then they need a reality check and a better life.

• Like 1

I don't really care either way myself.  I don't attend these conventions and I would never pay $500 -$1000 for a single minifigure.  Give them all to kids.  As a matter of fact, make sure every one of these minifigures are reproduced later in other sets or polybags.  I'm not being anti-investor here, but the prices for these Superhero minifigures on eBay are ridiculous.

• Like 1

I don't really care either way myself.  I don't attend these conventions and I would never pay $500 -$1000 for a single minifigure.  Give them all to kids.  As a matter of fact, make sure every one of these minifigures are reproduced later in other sets or polybags.  I'm not being anti-investor here, but the prices for these Superhero minifigures on eBay are ridiculous.

I totally agree - I don't like the resale that comes from these. I am fine with them being exclusives but give them to kids.

Doesn't really matter to me. If they only want to give them to kids, then that's fine. However I've read on multiple sites that people waited in line for these figures for HOURS every day. Seems sad that they wasted their time waiting for a rigged raffle, especially since people travel across the globe for this con. Plus I figure conventions are geared more for adult fans anyway but it doesn't really matter.

They should just hand the figures out to kids and don't waste anyones time if the raffles are, in fact, rigged.

Seems like a lego marketing disaster. It's great that they gave the mini figs to kids but they shouldn't have pretended to be doing otherwise. And if they were trying to keep them out of the hands of resellers that seems to have failed as well. In fact it only ended up encouraging people to sell the figs who might have kept them if not for the $1500 eBay prices. Plus if a different version of azog ends up in a hobbit set they are going to look like even bigger idiots for not just saying so in the first place.

While this creates a frenzy of buying it also sows a great deal of mistrust of lego and ill will.

That's cool that they give them to kids.  They should also take convention passes away from any parent who makes there kid stand in line to get the giveaways to sell on EBay.  I'm always very irritated when I see families get out of the Star Wars Collectible presentations at Star Wars Celebration and then get right back in line with their kids for the next one, just to collect all the giveaways to sell.  I'd hate to spend my whole time at a convention waiting in line for stuff and not getting to experience the hall floor, exhibits, and presentations.

Two things: if it's a raffle, it needs to be a true raffle IMO. Also, these items are collectors items. They are not meant for everybody to have a chance to get. That would defeat the purpose. Just because you guys want them doesn't mean you should inherently have the right to get them. If you are unwilling to spend the money, then simply don't get the item.

PS. Right now this report has 0 validity to it. So there is no reason to jump to conclusions. However, if it is true this once again shows the direction LEGO is heading in with regards to investors/resellers.

• Like 2

Two things: if it's a raffle, it needs to be a true raffle IMO. Also, these items are collectors items. They are not meant for everybody to have a chance to get. That would defeat the purpose. Just because you guys want them doesn't mean you should inherently have the right to get them. If you are unwilling to spend the money, then simply don't get the item.

PS. Right now this report has 0 validity to it. So there is no reason to jump to conclusions. However, if it is true this once again shows the direction LEGO is heading in with regards to investors/resellers.

While I agree that they are collectors items, the stances Lego has made recently completely contradict there actions.  The minifigures at SDCC, Mr. Gold, 41999, the list goes on.  If they wanted to flush out resellers, they would produce the stuff on a larger scale.

While I agree that they are collectors items, the stances Lego has made recently completely contradict there actions.  The minifigures at SDCC, Mr. Gold, 41999, the list goes on.  If they wanted to flush out resellers, they would produce the stuff on a larger scale.

The problem with that is counters their business strategy and one of the reasons I think they are so popular. The only way to keep people interested is to have all sorts of special stuff like this.

The ways that people project their own insecurities is amazing... No proof of anything besides a ridiculous amount of jealousy because LEGO gave a children's toy.. to a child.

Besides, the more exclusives they give to children, the higher value the remaining ones actually hold. Seems like people love the idea of exclusivity when it helps their portfolio but scream foul play when they aren't able to reap the benefits. :blink:

I wish they would have exclusive figures that could be given away by sending in actual upc symbols cut from the boxes.....purchase x amount of sets and send in the upc symbols....what a concept!

I like it and Hasbro has been doing that for many years, dating back to the days of Kenner and the first Boba Fett release.  Although, nowadays I just buy the UPC's on EBay for cheap ($5) and then send them in with the certificate.

Marketing is all about perception. And it's people's perception that TLG is really blowing it with their exclusives. Making these things so exclusive and pretty much impossible to get only ends up catering to those with deep pockets. I could care less about mr peanut(gold) because I'm not going to waste time getting to the store first and hope the employees didn't already rifle through them. If the average person believes they have 0% chance to get something then the exclusive ends up only having very limited appeal and hardly benefits the main base of lego which is supposed to be children.

I think I liked it more when they just released figures early as a promotion in unique cases.  So there was never any unique figures, just figures that weren't available for the general public yet.  Makes me think of the first Admiral Ackbar.  Man I wanted one, but thankfully it was just a matter of patience since a person knew the set was on the way.