Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

5 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm really surprised that so many people take the huge risk of posting these via eBay. I'd wait until the price goes sky high again and then arrange to meet the buyer with cash only. Of course, have somebody with you ;-)

It’s only the 75105 MF, no way on earth I would sell a UCS MF on eBay (posted) with the way things are on eBay lately.

What amazes me is that eBay have told me to just to send it and not to worry as I’m protected. 

Im going to do them a favour (yet again) and sit on it for a few days until the account owner tells me their account has been hacked.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, MoHu said:

Interested to know what this one is so can add to my banned list. 

Same here, we need a database of these idiots. Perhaps in a premium paid-for section?

A 100% positive feedback buyer messaged me after buying a set to say they want the set shipped to a different address belonging to their grandchild. I offered to cancel the order and let them buy it again with updated account info. I also said that if I didn't hear back within the handling window that I'd send it to the address listed on the PayPal order.

Should I just cancel the order outright and relist it?

ETA Update: They responded back to say they'd accept the order as is and deliver it to their grandchild themselves. 

Edited by mizeur

16 minutes ago, mizeur said:

A 100% positive feedback buyer messaged me after buying a set to say they want the set shipped to a different address belonging to their grandchild. I offered to cancel the order and let them buy it again with updated account info. I also said that if I didn't hear back within the handling window that I'd send it to the address listed on the PayPal order.

Should I just cancel the order outright and relist it?

ETA Update: They responded back to say they'd accept the order as is and deliver it to their grandchild themselves. 

Do not under any circumstances send to another address or alter the confirmed address in any way. You will lose all seller protection on the item. They only options are cancel the sale and have them rebuy or it goes to whatever confirmed address eBay tells you to send it to.

Edited by Migration
  • Like 1

All I can say is that PayPal purchase protection sucks as a buyer. If you don't end up getting shafted, it takes forever to settle. I bought a textbook off of a site a while back. After a week of not hearing anything, I open a INR case and purchase the same textbook elsewhere (and it ships). After a few days a package shows up from FedEx and my other textbook shows up (same day). The Fedex one came from China. I open both and the China one is a complete fake (the cover separates almost immediately).  I change the reason to SNAD and PayPal tells me to ship it back to China on my own dime (absurd). I call back and then I am told that since it's a fake, I don't have to ship it back after all. Then they tell me to send proof (like a letter from the publisher) that it's fake within 10 days. How on Earth is anyone supposed to do that?!?!  I forward a copy of my correspondence with a rep from the publisher to some email PayPal gave and then they decide in the buyers favor. What on Earth?!?! I was livid. I ended up getting another free book from the publisher that I used on another book, so it worked out (I guess), but I am still mad at PayPal. 

Edited by bigboy61

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, carini26 said:

Another great question coming from my valued eBay customers...

sealed.PNG

I had this classic last week...

Prospective buyer... "Hello... I know that the box is in mint condition and sealed, but are the bags inside sealed also?"

Me... "Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I've had to loan my X-Ray machine to the Heathrow airport security and I won't have it back until after Christmas. In the meantime, you'll have to read the description again and use your judgement before ordering. Good luck in what you decide to do!"

Buyer... "Sorry, my son was on the toilet and shouted the question to me. Thanks for your quick response and I will place an order shortly."

Item ordered!

Feedback... "Fantastic seller, item arrived early and packaged superbly, very happy hubby!"

sealed.PNG.69f9a9fab28247794689a8b481ca3f00.PNG

Not terribly uncommon to get those kind of “duh” questions from non-English (or non-native English) speakers. I’ve had a few who just want to ask the question using a google translate from their native language, and then rely on a clear “yes/no”, rather than trusting an English-to-[their language] translation of whatever you posted.

6 minutes ago, carini26 said:

sealed.PNG

Lack of reading and comprehension is clearly a requirement for eBay customers.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6746c139ce65e0a6f481c3bbeef527f.jpeg

I sold a used 75105 MF that I picked up in a bulk lot. Listed as used and described as such, with a picture of a built set on my table. Guy emails me some threats the day it arrived.

"I want to return this product it is used. I am not interested in ur junk materials.
I am contacting my financial branch to challenge ur payment.
Pls contact me on returning ur package  and refunding my credit."

I explain to him step by step how to request a return on eBay. He lacks reading comprehension so he files a paypal case instead.

image.png.7b9ea2b660454da4b1d1b5a6e5d3bfe4.png

After a few days I call paypal to ask them what to do, and they escalate it and give the guy 10 days to provide a tracking number. On the 9th day of him receiving reminders from Paypal he finally submits a tracking number. He assumed I would have to reimburse him for shipping so he sent it the most costly way he could, USPS express 1 day. Paypal already ruled he was an idiot who couldn't read, so I only had to refund the purchase price. They changed his return case from SNAD to a normal return. I can only imagine the hell he's given them about how he was misled and now he's out shipping for an item that he believed to be new. I wonder if his verbal communication is as poor as his written? +1 to paypal for their handling of the case.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Lack of reading and comprehension is clearly a requirement for eBay customers.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6746c139ce65e0a6f481c3bbeef527f.jpeg

I sold a used 75105 MF that I picked up in a bulk lot. Listed as used and described as such, with a picture of a built set on my table. Guy emails me some threats the day it arrived.

I explain to him step by step how to request a return on eBay. He lacks reading comprehension so he files a paypal case instead.

image.png.7b9ea2b660454da4b1d1b5a6e5d3bfe4.png

After a few days I call paypal to ask them what to do, and they escalate it and give the guy 10 days to provide a tracking number. On the 9th day of him receiving reminders from Paypal he finally submits a tracking number. He assumed I would have to reimburse him for shipping so he sent it the most costly way he could, USPS express 1 day. Paypal already ruled he was an idiot who couldn't read, so I only had to refund the purchase price. They changed his return case from SNAD to a normal return. I can only imagine the hell he's given them about how he was misled and now he's out shipping for an item that he believed to be new. I wonder if his verbal communication is as poor as his written? +1 to paypal for their handling of the case.

Be aware of his coming back with a charge-back claim. In that case, it wouldn't matter what eBay and Paypal have said and ruled. CC company probably just gonna let him get away with it.

Just now, cissi said:

Be aware of his coming back with a charge-back claim. In that case, it wouldn't matter what eBay and Paypal have said and ruled. CC company probably just gonna let him get away with it.

I discussed this possibility with Paypal (as it was threatened) when I called and they assured me that seller protection would cover me and any fight would be on their end.

He was fully refunded when the item was returned so my assumption is that the credit card company would dismiss the case as they could see the refund. But that's Paypal's issue, not mine. If they allow a double refund then there is apparently an even better way to scam than just using SNAD cases.

4 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

I discussed this possibility with Paypal (as it was threatened) when I called and they assured me that seller protection would cover me and any fight would be on their end.

He was fully refunded when the item was returned so my assumption is that the credit card company would dismiss the case as they could see the refund. But that's Paypal's issue, not mine. If they allow a double refund then there is apparently an even better way to scam than just using SNAD cases.

Good thing that he already shipped the return and you don't have to pay the 1-day shipping cost. lol

On 30/11/2017 at 6:20 PM, carini26 said:

sealed.PNG

Perhaps the buyer has been stung by a sealed bags, open box listing previously and is simply asking you to confirm what is meant by 'sealed'? Did you provide photos of the seals themselves?

Guest TabbyBoy
32 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

UK peeps

Can anyone give me details of the Leicester Scammers ring?

I've got a 0 rated buyer from leicester, it's only a £26 set but I recall a lot of people mentioning hacked accounts ordering items to Leicester.

I'm not aware of any problems in the LE area and I've posted over a dozen sets there over the last month with no problems whatsoever. It's big city so I'd expect a lot of buyers in that area at this time of year. Also about a 3rd of my buyers over the last month all over the UK have had 0 feedback and, again, no problems. I doubt that anybody would bother scamming for only a £26 set. As long as you fully comply with seller protection, I wouldn't worry too much.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm not aware of any problems in the LE area and I've posted over a dozen sets there over the last month with no problems whatsoever. It's big city so I'd expect a lot of buyers in that area at this time of year. Also about a 3rd of my buyers over the last month all over the UK have had 0 feedback and, again, no problems. I doubt that anybody would bother scamming for only a £26 set. As long as you fully comply with seller protection, I wouldn't worry too much.

You're probably right.  I've had a good run of buyers in past few months  and 2 today have set my spidey senses going. This one and a blatant dropshipper.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

This is not the right thread but figured someone is a fruitcake in this stupid triangle and was hoping to get so help. 

Few days ago my Target Debit Redcard stopped working both online and instore , and so did my wife's ( they are tied to same account ) . GC and Target CC redcard work just fine on online orders so I'm def not banned or anything of the sort. Error message  receive when placing an order is as follows : 

• There was a problem processing your payment. Please contact your card provider using the number on the back of your card.

Called the number on the back of the RC and Target are blaming the busy holiday period and my bank for not instantly authorizing the purchases, and are adement that there is nothing wrong with the card nor the account. 

Predictably, my bank insist that everything is A okay from their end and it is Target that is to  blame . 

Mean while , I am S.O.L

thoughts ? 

UK peeps
Can anyone give me details of the Leicester Scammers ring?
I've got a 0 rated buyer from leicester, it's only a £26 set but I recall a lot of people mentioning hacked accounts ordering items to Leicester.
Not noticed any myself as of yet, if you do end up with bids from Leicester it could be me & I am not a scammer :)

Guest TabbyBoy
4 hours ago, Lego17 said:

Not noticed any myself as of yet, if you do end up with bids from Leicester it could be me & I am not a scammer :)

I posted 2 sets to central Leicester, 2 to Markfield and 1 to Melton Mowbray this morning and all 5 were already in my addesss book so they've all ordered before without a problem. We can't single out a location or a 0 feedback rating for scammers, we need a database of proven scammers backed up by evidence from eBay/PayPal/Amazon. It's up to the mods to see how this can be done. Yes, it can be dodgy out there and sorry for repeating, but just make sure you comply with any seller protection policy.

18 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I posted 2 sets to central Leicester, 2 to Markfield and 1 to Melton Mowbray this morning and all 5 were already in my addesss book so they've all ordered before without a problem. We can't single out a location or a 0 feedback rating for scammers, we need a database of proven scammers backed up by evidence from eBay/PayPal/Amazon. It's up to the mods to see how this can be done. Yes, it can be dodgy out there and sorry for repeating, but just make sure you comply with any seller protection policy.

This is pretty much what I was doing. It just happened to be a spate of incidents with scams going to Leicester addresses on this thread the previous week that had me asking for details of those specific cases.

I have nothing against Leicester lol

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

This is pretty much what I was doing. It just happened to be a spate of incidents with scams going to Leicester addresses on this thread the previous week that had me asking for details of those specific cases.

I have nothing against Leicester lol

It´s Claudio Ranieri making loads of fake accounts to damage the city´s reputation!

• Like 2

Non-fruitcake story:

Sometimes buyers aren't scamming us and being difficult. And sometimes we're providing a valuable service not just creating false scarcity and driving up prices.

I've been sending confirmation texts because I've had had a lot of buyers with new accounts and people with mismatched PayPal/eBay info ordering gifts for other people. They've mostly been happy to confirm their orders. One of them wrote also just wrote back to say they received their order and to thank me for the quick turnaround on their order. After exchanging thank yous, the buyer also let me know that I'd made their holiday easier because they were going through chemo and had a tough time getting out to shop.

• Like 6