Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

8 minutes ago, Villager Chris said:

Sold a Jurassic World Pteranodon Capture for around £40 on Amazon. A return was requested by the buyer as she was expecting a bigger set for £40, and blamed an inaccurate description on the website. Thanks, lady! 

I guess idiots like that are just the cost of doing business. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

I've had about 8 hacked account sales in the last 2 months.  All £100+ sales.  First one got shipped cos didnt know any better.  Paypal protection kicked in and got the payment released last week.

All the others I cancelled or had msg from real account holder to say they didnt buy it.   I even had to explain to one account holder why he HAD to change his passwords.  Nice enough guy but didnt have clue.

All the scams were to be shipped to the same two addresses in the UK.  It would be easy for me to just keep shipping the parcels and be covered by PAyPal Seller Protection.  Easy money as no chance of returns.  Or even ship a turd (lego turd or real turd).   Tracking would show as delivered and i cant see a return case being opened.   But that would mean becoming the same scumbag scammer we all despise.    Really want to send an exploding poo to those addresses.

4 hours ago, roxio said:

I had a recent attempted scam on £250 technic set.

What was the first part of the postcode?  I wonder if its the same as my nemesis 

Guest TabbyBoy
16 minutes ago, MoHu said:

I've had about 8 hacked account sales in the last 2 months.  All £100+ sales.  First one got shipped cos didnt know any better.  Paypal protection kicked in and got the payment released last week.

All the others I cancelled or had msg from real account holder to say they didnt buy it.   I even had to explain to one account holder why he HAD to change his passwords.  Nice enough guy but didnt have clue.

All the scams were to be shipped to the same two addresses in the UK.  It would be easy for me to just keep shipping the parcels and be covered by PAyPal Seller Protection.  Easy money as no chance of returns.  Or even ship a turd (lego turd or real turd).   Tracking would show as delivered and i cant see a return case being opened.   But that would mean becoming the same scumbag scammer we all despise.    Really want to send an exploding poo to those addresses.

What was the first part of the postcode?  I wonder if its the same as my nemesis 

You can ship a small Chima set (or worse) to UK address and mark the envelope "Postage to be paid ny addressee". Of course, if the contents contain "Canine DNA", make sure it's in a sealed container as innocent people will be handling it.

Please PM me with the suspect addresses so I can watch out for them - thanks.

My record for a chargeback is 97 days after the sale!

eBay... I'm going to keep stating this until you do it!  Start using 2FA for placing a purchase !!!

1 hour ago, MoHu said:

ne33

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Only after Amazon implement 2FA for their buyers :P

They have it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201962420

Here's how to enable Amazon's Two-Step Verification, a feature that adds an extra layer of security by asking you to enter a unique security code in addition to your password on computers and devices that you haven't designated as trusted.

4 hours ago, zaphoid said:

They have it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201962420

Here's how to enable Amazon's Two-Step Verification, a feature that adds an extra layer of security by asking you to enter a unique security code in addition to your password on computers and devices that you haven't designated as trusted.

Cool.  @TabbyBoy Go sell on Amazon !!! :D:D:D

BrickLink, not eBay, but definitely belongs in the crazies thread...

I should have known this order wasn't going to end well when I received this message less than 24 hours after the order was placed:

"Can you please let me know if you are doing something with this order? You sellers have a real bad habit of going off the grid when someone places an order. You all might as well not exist."

Naturally here's the negative feedback I received:

"Gave me wrong parts due to incompetence. Not giving second chance. "

:/

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I have to admit that I assumed the ebay rants were just another in the pantheon of Tabby moans, and more a reflection of the scale of total sales.

However, but having listed nothing for about 6 months, in the last two days, 100% (ok 2 - but 100%!!!!) of my sold items have been flagged as fraud.

If their security is that poor I'm staying well away from now on. You were right, i should never have doubted you.

10 minutes ago, roxio said:

If you have a suspected eBay scam buyer how would you try to contact the real account holder? Facebook etc? Wouldn't the scammer change all the contact details in eBay?

Paypal user data not matching Ebay data would be the main red flag.

Guest TabbyBoy
14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Paypal user data not matching Ebay data would be the main red flag.

Every scam I’ve beem caught by has the same details on eBay and PayPal. I think users should be more careful and should change their passwords regularly and NOT use the same ones for every account - a lot still do!

7 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

BrickLink, not eBay, but definitely belongs in the crazies thread...

I should have known this order wasn't going to end well when I received this message less than 24 hours after the order was placed:

"Can you please let me know if you are doing something with this order? You sellers have a real bad habit of going off the grid when someone places an order. You all might as well not exist."

Naturally here's the negative feedback I received:

"Gave me wrong parts due to incompetence. Not giving second chance. "

:/

Damn, that's harsh. Bricklink has been very smooth so far but  I do think I have my first NPB as it's been sitting invoiced and packed for a few days now and buyer has 0 feedback.  You're right, though, whenever you get a message about your swiftness of processing within the day you know it's going to be a bumpy ride with that seller/buyer.

Edited by Huskers1236
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, roxio said:

If you have a suspected eBay scam buyer how would you try to contact the real account holder? Facebook etc? Wouldn't the scammer change all the contact details in eBay?

They can't change contact details without some form of extra authentication.

The trick usually used is to get the item dispatched before the hacked user reads their e-mails.

I'm always wary of 2 situations.

1. Something is bought within 5 mins of me listing it.

2. Sales after 11pm. Although people do seem to have strange buying habits I always scrutinise more closely these sales as they're hoping you'll send out next day.

8 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

They can't change contact details without some form of extra authentication.

The trick usually used is to get the item dispatched before the hacked user reads their e-mails.

I'm always wary of 2 situations.

1. Something is bought within 5 mins of me listing it.

2. Sales after 11pm. Although people do seem to have strange buying habits I always scrutinise more closely these sales as they're hoping you'll send out next day.

I just had somebody pay full price without best offer, eBay account not used in last 12 months. Messages the mobile number on eBay contact and they confirmed name and address. All the same on PayPal as well. So I've got seller cover anyway, but guess if they're hacked they'd change everything, address, mobile etc

11 minutes ago, roxio said:

I just had somebody pay full price without best offer, eBay account not used in last 12 months. Messages the mobile number on eBay contact and they confirmed name and address. All the same on PayPal as well. So I've got seller cover anyway, but guess if they're hacked they'd change everything, address, mobile etc

I do that sometimes (the full price part). Had it this weekend actually. Price was so low that I sent a best offer, but then got anxious that somebody would buy it in the mean time so just bought it anyway.

5 minutes ago, roxio said:

If they've been hacked and have the same password on all their accounts then it's possible.

As you say if you send to verified address thats shown on paypal and send recorded delivery you are covered under seller protection but leave a day before dispatching so if it is a fraud case it has more chance of being picked up and flagged to you.

Likelihood is though it'll just turn out to be a normal person who only uses their account every so often if they can't find an item anywhere else.

Earlier in the year I sold a tumbler on eBay to a zero rated bidder and i worried like mad, checked everything i could, including even streetviewing the address, covered my ass and sent it and it was a perfectly normal customer, easy transaction and good feedback. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

If they've been hacked and have the same password on all their accounts then it's possible.

As you say if you send to verified address thats shown on paypal and send recorded delivery you are covered under seller protection but leave a day before dispatching so if it is a fraud case it has more chance of being picked up and flagged to you.

Likelihood is though it'll just turn out to be a normal person who only uses their account every so often if they can't find an item anywhere else.

Earlier in the year I sold a tumbler on eBay to a zero rated bidder and i worried like mad, checked everything i could, including even streetviewing the address, covered my ass and sent it and it was a perfectly normal customer, easy transaction and good feedback. 

I've got one day dispatch/get it fast, business account, 100% feedback and top rated status. Hopefully that's helped make the sale. It's a £90 set, cheapest sealed available was £80 from private seller. Will be dropped at ups just before 10pm tonight, hopefully I'll update here with positive feedback Thursday

Speaking of strange eBay happenings. I check my listed items regularly. I noticed one of my items had 5 watchers on it. I've realised in most cases watchers means other sellers and if people are taking notice then i should probably look at the listing.

Sure enough I realised I'd become the cheapest item available by £5 despite me never listing as lowest price. To up my margin to match the market I raised my price by £5 and the item that had been sat for 2 weeks sold overnight. High rated bidder too. I guess pushing up my price scared them into a sudden purchase. Very odd but long may it continue lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Speaking of strange eBay happenings. I check my listed items regularly. I noticed one of my items had 5 watchers on it. I've realised in most cases watchers means other sellers and if people are taking notice then i should probably look at the listing.

Sure enough I realised I'd become the cheapest item available by £5 despite me never listing as lowest price. To up my margin to match the market I raised my price by £5 and the item that had been sat for 2 weeks sold overnight. High rated bidder too. I guess pushing up my price scared them into a sudden purchase. Very odd but long may it continue lol

I do this all the time! If i know my item is well priced, and it has a bunch of watchers but no bites... i'll raise the price by $5 and it will sell pretty quick haha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Hey discrimination I watch baseball and NBA at that hour or after and need to kill time during breaks.

Edited by Will 4