Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

" If you want something very quickly, it is best to buy from sellers with 1 day handling who offer next day / express mail."

Point taken...I do look at handling times for more common items.

It would be great to find loads of sellers with 1 day shipping/handling selling off sought after Vintage Pirate sets at reasonable prices.

I don't get the luxury of picking the sellers. While not exactly rare 6285 is harder to find than many at prices I am willing to pay.

This is for a flip. I should have everything needed to fill it in and relist. Money then spent on NIB items.

Rinse and repeat.

With the new Pirate line I expect a slight bump in prices for some of the vintage ships as new collectors may want to backfill their collection.

This lot will put me at 8 Barracudas. I have 6 complete Schooners, 7 if I can find another set of sails.\

I am fond of the vintage ships, good builds and the instructions don't hold your hand nearly as much as current iterations do.

I'm a big ship lover also. My favs include the Barracuda and Clipper (along with the Imperial Flagship of course). I still need to pick up a Schooner at some point!

Harassing the seller?  No.  Just asking the BP community about it. 

My offical reponse to the seller was:

Thank you for the update.
I look forward to completing this classic ship.
Scott

In my own opinion when handling is two days I expect the item to be shipped on the second day.

That is just my opinion because that IS how I handle my shipments.  Not everyone is like that.

Even if I could not ship today....It would be in the mail before noon tomorrow.

I want my customers to wait as little as possible...because that is how I feel when I buy something.

Question for ebay buyers.  I recently (wed march 4th) won an auction style listing for a Mostly complete 6285 Barracuda set.

I Paid the same day I won the auction style listing.  Handling says: "Will usually ship within 2 business days of receiving cleared payment"  I used Paypal (no echeck).

Payment Should have cleared immediately.

This morning march 6th I asked the seller if they had shipped it yet and if they would please provide a tracking number when doing so.

Verbiage of the exchange below:

"On 3/6/15, 10:00 AM, brickelements

Other: brickelements sent a message about Lego Legoland Black Seas Barracuda Pirate Ship (6285) #331489502646

Good morning,

Have you had a chance to send this yet? If you have can you please provide a tracking number.

Thank You

Scott"

____

Hi Scott,

This is scheduled to ship on Monday and I'll provide tracking info at that time.

John"

Monday?  Seriously?  How long does it take to box it up?  It might be expedited shipping however 3 business days with a weekend in the middle is not acceptable "to me".

Any suggestions on how to respond?  Do nothing?  It irritates me to no end when others don't take selling/shipping as serious.  Send the darn lot already.

Maybe I am just in a whining mood...

I made the mistake of buying a lego set from a seller in KY.  I bought it last Friday and has yet to ship (7 days already).  Every time, I ask him, he tells there is  snowstorm in KY.  I might have to wait a few more days or another week.  I understand his situation but why sell it in the first place if there is snowstorm.

I made the mistake of buying a lego set from a seller in KY.  I bought it last Friday and has yet to ship (7 days already).  Every time, I ask him, he tells there is  snowstorm in KY.  I might have to wait a few more days or another week.  I understand his situation but why sell it in the first place if there is snowstorm.

I can assure you there was an extremely bad snow storm in KY.  Very bad.

Look up about I-65 and Elizabethtown KY and 200 semi's stranded on the intestate along with people in cars in frigid temperatures running out of gas and no one coming out to help.  People had to sit in their car on I-65 from 8:30 at night until mid day the next day - most of them.

Mail not being delivered, fedex and ups canceling any attempts at deliveries.  Factories being shut down.

That being said I do not see where it could take 7 days.  The latest snow storm did not hit until Wednesday at 4pm EST and I made drops at the USPS today just fine.

But I would give the person some grace if you can and do not stress over it there is no good that can come from it for yourself.

• Like 1

I am not sure if I am the only one who understands that he contacted the seller 14 hours before the seller was required to ship, or if I am the only one who is annoyed by buyers harassing me about shipping before my clocks runs out.

brickelements is good people, but his opinion of ebay's policy doesn't change the policy. As a buyer I treat sellers how I want to be treated by buyers.

Just to be clear, I am not defending the seller waiting until Monday to ship, that's uncool and he should have contacted you if there was going to be that kind of delay. Unless you bought it after-hours on the 4th, and then it's technically within his right although not good customer service.

I am enjoying the communication from both sides.  

Did I harass the seller.  My opinion is no.  I simply and politely asked about the status of shipment.

I came here to gauge how others handle their business as sellers and as a buyer.  Some think similar to the way I treat my buyers and others are policy sticklers.

The impression I get from some responses is this:

If I have 2 days don't you dare ask me about the shipping status until my entire 48 hours is up.  You would lose me as a future customer.

It is the buyers money that keeps you going to enjoy this wonderful hobby.  Let us not forget this.

Irritate enough buyers and your business may diminish...I ship as quickly as I can. 

As an extreme example just before christmas I had to put down my favorite dog (personally crushing experience).  Well it was also in the middle of shipping season for the holiday sales.  I didn't miss a single item.  I missed a buyers (I need it by) window by 1 day and it got returned.

However I still made my one business day shipping requirements.  He bought after hours I couldn't get to the post office the next day.

I informed as such and he did warn me, if the package didn't arrive by saturday he didn't need it.

It got shipped priority on wednes going from St. Louis to Michigan.

My local post office didn't check it in until Thursday...it was a prepaid drop-off.  So it didn't arrive till monday.

I took the return and apologized as much as I could.  Nothing further came of it.  The post office got me on that one.

Take care of your peeps.  hehe Easter is coming.

I don't like it when some jabroni contacts me with a "rush this" request.....particularly if they're paying "non-rush" prices. 

flip side of that coin.  I bought a Simpsons house on the 20th of February and in his posting he says 3 business days to ship.  That's fine, but he still hasn't shipped it out yet.  What a clown.

I assume nothing.  I am not really a business either however I take pride in my quick shipping/handling times.

If this were my sale it would have been sent out as soon as yesterday or at the lastest today.

I buy a lot so I am keenly aware that most people including myself are not all that patient.

Thank you for all the feedback. 

It is only I minor irritant.

I was hoping to receive sooner than later because I needed the sails and a few other pieces for another project.

I am the same way. I'm not a business, I'm a hobbiest and I still get out whatever I sell as fast as possible. I also like getting my items quickly and I appreciate it when the seller ships the item quickly. It irritates me too when people don't ship it out sooner when it seems like they have all the time in the world. Then again if the auction states a certain time frame and the seller is within that time frame, I can't get mad really......even though I still do get irritated.

I am a small time seller and have a 3 business day policy because then I can round a box if I don't have the correct size on hand. I always ship within the 3 day window, but if someone orders on Monday I do my best to make sure they get it by the weekend. If they order in the middle of the week it should be to them by the start of the next week. Brickelements, I totally understand your frustration because that guy is pretty much saying Friday isn't a business day, which for just about everyone it is but what can you do as a buyer. eBay is a sketchy place sometimes and I think we sometimes lead ourselves to believe it's just one big company vs. individuals selling products.

I can assure you there was an extremely bad snow storm in KY. Very bad.

Look up about I-65 and Elizabethtown KY and 200 semi's stranded on the intestate along with people in cars in frigid temperatures running out of gas and no one coming out to help. People had to sit in their car on I-65 from 8:30 at night until mid day the next day - most of them.

Mail not being delivered, fedex and ups canceling any attempts at deliveries. Factories being shut down.

That being said I do not see where it could take 7 days. The latest snow storm did not hit until Wednesday at 4pm EST and I made drops at the USPS today just fine.

But I would give the person some grace if you can and do not stress over it there is no good that can come from it for yourself.

I did look up how bad the weather was in KY so I am giving him some leeway. We Southern Californians get blessed with good weather (80's today) so it's all good.

• Like 1

Last Saturday, I submitted a best offer to an eBay seller for an MTT 7662.  The seller countered with an offer about an hour later, which I accepted 30s after his email.  I paid in the next minute, and took the extra step of sending him an email to his paypal address to thank him and ask that he provide me with tracking info when he had it.  Auction stated a 3 day shipping window.

It's now Friday night, over 6 days later, and I've heard exactly zero from this guy.  No tracking, no reply to my email, no message via eBay.  I again wrote him Thursday night via the eBay message system asking for status.  Nothing.  Nada.  Guy has 1100 perfect feedback.  I don't get it.  I know he's online, as he got my payment within 2 minutes of sending me an offer.  When I sell on eBay, I *always* do the following: confirm payment receipt to buyer, confirm shipping address, and ship the item within 24 hours. Usually, I have a tracking number within an hour of payment, and that is uploaded to eBay.  

How do you deal with these sellers?  I'm always a bit reluctant to leave negative feedback, for the simple fear they'll find some way to retaliate.

Last Saturday, I submitted a best offer to an eBay seller for an MTT 7662.  The seller countered with an offer about an hour later, which I accepted 30s after his email.  I paid in the next minute, and took the extra step of sending him an email to his paypal address to thank him and ask that he provide me with tracking info when he had it.  Auction stated a 3 day shipping window.

It's now Friday night, over 6 days later, and I've heard exactly zero from this guy.  No tracking, no reply to my email, no message via eBay.  I again wrote him Thursday night via the eBay message system asking for status.  Nothing.  Nada.  Guy has 1100 perfect feedback.  I don't get it.  I know he's online, as he got my payment within 2 minutes of sending me an offer.  When I sell on eBay, I *always* do the following: confirm payment receipt to buyer, confirm shipping address, and ship the item within 24 hours. Usually, I have a tracking number within an hour of payment, and that is uploaded to eBay.  

How do you deal with these sellers?  I'm always a bit reluctant to leave negative feedback, for the simple fear they'll find some way to retaliate.

That is bad.

Last Saturday, I submitted a best offer to an eBay seller for an MTT 7662. The seller countered with an offer about an hour later, which I accepted 30s after his email. I paid in the next minute, and took the extra step of sending him an email to his paypal address to thank him and ask that he provide me with tracking info when he had it. Auction stated a 3 day shipping window.

It's now Friday night, over 6 days later, and I've heard exactly zero from this guy. No tracking, no reply to my email, no message via eBay. I again wrote him Thursday night via the eBay message system asking for status. Nothing. Nada. Guy has 1100 perfect feedback. I don't get it. I know he's online, as he got my payment within 2 minutes of sending me an offer. When I sell on eBay, I *always* do the following: confirm payment receipt to buyer, confirm shipping address, and ship the item within 24 hours. Usually, I have a tracking number within an hour of payment, and that is uploaded to eBay.

How do you deal with these sellers? I'm always a bit reluctant to leave negative feedback, for the simple fear they'll find some way to retaliate.

These are the guys that deserve negative feedback. "Did not ship within specified time and no communication about delay." 1 star all around.

I do this as a hobby, small time, I have never shipped beyond a two day window and 90% go next day or better.

• Like 1

flip side of that coin.  I bought a Simpsons house on the 20th of February and in his posting he says 3 business days to ship.  That's fine, but he still hasn't shipped it out yet.  What a clown.

Time to get eBay involved:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

Fair is fair.  We should not fault sellers who follow rules, but the ones who do not need to be weeded out too.

Edited by Darth_Raichu
  • Like 2

It sucks, but ultimately you need to decide what you will do. Are you happy with a refund? Do you really just want the MTT? If faced with the same situation, I would send a message through eBay with a deadline (24 hours?) for response and/or a tracking number, or else you will be submitting negative feedback and requesting a refund.

Last Saturday, I submitted a best offer to an eBay seller for an MTT 7662. The seller countered with an offer about an hour later, which I accepted 30s after his email. I paid in the next minute, and took the extra step of sending him an email to his paypal address to thank him and ask that he provide me with tracking info when he had it. Auction stated a 3 day shipping window.

It's now Friday night, over 6 days later, and I've heard exactly zero from this guy. No tracking, no reply to my email, no message via eBay. I again wrote him Thursday night via the eBay message system asking for status. Nothing. Nada. Guy has 1100 perfect feedback. I don't get it. I know he's online, as he got my payment within 2 minutes of sending me an offer. When I sell on eBay, I *always* do the following: confirm payment receipt to buyer, confirm shipping address, and ship the item within 24 hours. Usually, I have a tracking number within an hour of payment, and that is uploaded to eBay.

How do you deal with these sellers? I'm always a bit reluctant to leave negative feedback, for the simple fear they'll find some way to retaliate.

when speaking of retaliation I highly highly highly recommend everyone having two eBay accounts. One for buying one for selling. I think u are asking for problem if u don't.

It sucks, but ultimately you need to decide what you will do. Are you happy with a refund? Do you really just want the MTT? If faced with the same situation, I would send a message through eBay with a deadline (24 hours?) for response and/or a tracking number, or else you will be submitting negative feedback and requesting a refund.

I want to avoid even the appearance of feedback extortion, so I'm not entirely comfortable giving an ultimatum.  I do want the MTT, its a used set I intended to buy for my personal collection.  eBay won't even let me open a case until the last day of the shipping window has passed.  That window is March 6 to 16th.  The earliest I can open the case is 3 days after the window closes, or March 19.  Guess I just wait, then open a case.  

I want to avoid even the appearance of feedback extortion, so I'm not entirely comfortable giving an ultimatum.  I do want the MTT, its a used set I intended to buy for my personal collection.  eBay won't even let me open a case until the last day of the shipping window has passed.  That window is March 6 to 16th.  The earliest I can open the case is 3 days after the window closes, or March 19.  Guess I just wait, then open a case.  

I agree with your frustration as the no communication is usually a big problem, but there is value in waiting it out and hoping because I am assuming that you picked up the MTT at well below market price.  I had a similar experience when I bought a collection 6 weeks ago that I waited a week and a half to have shipped with no communication for the first week but because I paid 50% off the going rate for it, I was content to wait.

Check if the seller has received any other negative feedback this week, they could just be away and offering poor customer service and you can reply with your feedback when you receive the item (this happened to me and eventually I got a reply). If you try and leave feedback now, you can expect to receive nothing :)

These are the guys that deserve negative feedback. "Did not ship within specified time and no communication about delay." 1 star all around.

I do this as a hobby, small time, I have never shipped beyond a two day window and 90% go next day or better.

I try and ship domestically in the US so I either time auctions to end on a Thursday (thus I can offer 1 day shipping) or I post it at 3 day shipping but it's clear in my BIN when your item will be shipped.  I usually contact the seller the day before I will ship to prove I haven't forgotten (plus tracking number is already uploaded) I also try and time all of my purchases to arrive at the same time and there seems to be an increasing number of sellers that choose not to ship when promised.  Of course Canadians get same day or next day shipping from me because we rock.

• Like 1