An AFOL's nightmare.

ExoBro94

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should they have let the AFOL in?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Who cares!

Guest eightbrick

B- I had a chance to see that in person at Brickworld in Chicago, and that picture doesn't do the model justice. It's just awesome in real life, and enormous.

If anyone has a chance to attend Brickfete, DO it, assuming it's similar to Brickworld. You will not be disappointed.

I envy you. I can only imagine how imposing it must have looked.

"Those who are willing to give up freedom in exchange for security deserve neither..."

-Someone smart said something like that a long time ago. 

We have less violence today than in the history of the world and people still live in fear...SMH...

I knew this thread would go off track...  :)

PS This rule is stupid.

I wasn't trying to be wise, you know, I was trying to be a smartass. And the problem we're having is that people with no children see this issue from the parents' point of view, not the child's. Good parent, bad parent, dormant child, wild child, it's everyone's job to protect kids, it's society's responsibility. Because kids are dumb. And a lot of parents are, too.

What you are describing is called communism.

I agree. I was sheltered and I had a lot of problems in College handling the things of the world because I was scared of them. I will not put my kids through that. My own life and opinion obviously. It may work for some - it did not for me.

I have always been introverted.  I was perfectly happy building Lego Models into my mid teens, I grew out of them a little as sports began to take up more time (A reserved athlete, we do exist :thumbsup: ).  I was moderately sheltered as a child, but I definitely learned a lot of things through just living.  It also helped that because I was/am more reserved, I was also highly observant.

I know there are scary people out there, but one must still live life.

Thats not what I said though. I am just saying bad parents knowledge is not better than childless people's knowledge.

And your second thing assumes LegoLand's policy was created for that reason, when most likely it was created from a Lawsuit of some type.

I'm just respectfully disagreeing completely. But doing and experiencing something doesn't make other people's views irrelevant. Less value, maybe. Less bound with fact, possibly. But not irrelevant as you indicated.

I own a house. I have friends who don't and know more about care for a house.

While you are most likely a great parent - things like that make you sound like someone who immediately thinks they are this wise old being just because they have had a child. Other's opinions should be judged on merit and fact and example. There is a guy at work who consistently refer's to me as son and talks down to me - He is 1 year older, has one less degree, does not own a house and has been married for a shorter amount of time. But he has had children and has sighted that as why he believes hes superior (I asked him why he calls me son and talks to me in that manner. In a related note - he is smarter than me so I let it go :) )

Point being - I don't think anyone's thoughts on this is irrelevant because they don't have a child. :)

I would probably be in a fight in about 10 seconds if this happened to me at work. 

I see both sides of this argument.  First, I am a 23 year old guy.

1.  Our society has a continuous habit of deciding that more control creates safety, when in reality it is more likely to create a false sense of safety.  75% of abducted children are by a family member. I could go into detail about it, but I will simply attach a link instead.  It will save a lot of arguing.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/outdoor/abductions.html#

2.  I believe that they are trying to create an environment more then anything else.  If you have a bunch of adults there (like some of us), wouldn't it take away from the "kid friendly" nature of the event?

My personal opinion is that this rule is ineffective.  The odds of being stolen in that type of environment are slim, it would most likely happen at your local McDonalds, or even in your front yard.  I know I'm not a parent, so I know I am about to get crucified for saying this.  We currently live in a world where an entire generation of children has grown up under the wings of paranoid, over-protective, hawks, who teach them to fear the world.  This paranoia is propelling childhood further into adulthood.

Yes we do, this is fairly certain. As a parent, I try very hard to not over-protect my children, but it is very hard when you see the crap on the news at night.  Probably the main reason I rarely watch it anymore.  That, and MLB TV.  We are lucky to live in a very nice neighborhood in a nice town where this doesn't happen much, but it's still out there, and you must always be careful with your children.  The one time you were wrong, you would never forgive yourself.  I know as a kid, we would ride our bikes to the next town, swim out too far in the ocean, play on the railroad tracks, you name it.  My parents tell me all the time how we put the fear of god in them when they couldn't find us for hours.  The 80's were a different time, and I lived in a small town where you knew a lot of people, and they knew you.  It was safe.  I don't consider the world a safe place anymore, even if you are in an affluent area.

Fear perpetuates more fear. And it spreads like a virus...

Except this fear(pedophilia/abduction, etc.) is a reality, and the reality is that if safeguards are put in place, fear and risk go down.  I agree that the main reason that a store like this has this rule is to cover their ass, save money.  But knowing that some random dude isn't lurking in the corners checking out kids because it was free ice cream day makes me feel better, and it should make everyone feel better.

• Like 2

"Those who are willing to give up freedom in exchange for security deserve neither..."

-Someone smart said something like that a long time ago. 

We have less violence today than in the history of the world and people still live in fear...SMH...

I knew this thread would go off track...  :)

PS This rule is stupid.

I'm pretty sure it's a revolutionary war quote from Thomas Jefferson, or one of those be-wigged guys. 

"The 80's were a different time, and I lived in a small town where you knew a lot of people, and they knew you.  It was safe.  I don't consider the world a safe place anymore, even if you are in an affluent area."

Yes, the 80's were much much more violent and crime ridden.  For real...look it up.  The world is safer than it has ever been.    Relax...

Letting society raise children is communism in its most suttle form. Lets look at some countries that let society raise their children: China, North Korea, Russia, and many other countries. It just so happens that China, North Korea, and Russia are commistic countries. Coincidence? I think not.

"The 80's were a different time, and I lived in a small town where you knew a lot of people, and they knew you.  It was safe.  I don't consider the world a safe place anymore, even if you are in an affluent area."

Yes, the 80's were much much more violent and crime ridden.  For real...look it up.  The world is safer than it has ever been.    Relax...

Where? In Watts?  I'm talking about middle America.  When I was young, you could leave your house unlocked, walk down the street without a care in the world.  This is not the case anymore. 

I agree that VIOLENT crime is down.  You are picking and choosing what you want to argue.  I'm speaking of my personal experiences.  I have never lived in a big city, but I do know that those areas have reduced VIOLENT crime.  Not what we are talking about in this thread.

As for your quote, it appears it was Ben Franklin, not Thomas Jefferson.  I was right on the time period and wig, though.

Where? In Watts?  I'm talking about middle America.  When I was young, you could leave your house unlocked, walk down the street without a care in the world.  This is not the case anymore. 

I agree that VIOLENT crime is down.  You are picking and choosing what you want to argue.  I'm speaking of my personal experiences.  I have never lived in a big city, but I do know that those areas have reduced VIOLENT crime.  Not what we are talking about in this thread.

Don't be scared... 

"Recent Gallop polls have found that citizens overwhelmingly feel crime is going up even though it is not," says Professor Fox. "This is because of the growth of crime shows and the way that TV spotlights the emotional. One case of a random, horrific shooting shown repeatedly on TV has more visceral effect than all the statistics printed in a newspaper."

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now

Generally, if the trip takes 3 hours, a little research goes a long way. The policy is shown on LDC's website and enforced at all time.  This is similar to planning a 3 hour trip on Monday to a museum that closes on Mondays. I do not see why we should feel sorry for this guy's lack or research and preparation.

Plus, LDC is basically an overpriced and glorified children play zone.  The policy was most likely enacted out of liability. However, it also satisfy their core markets: parents with young children. If not for safety, at the very least the policy resulted in more opportunity for the chidren to enjoy the CHILDREN ORIENTED attractions without competing for time with the adults.