Purchase question? Viking lot

I have found a seller who has all the Viking sets and wants to sell them because their kids are going to college.  For all 8 sets, they came up with a price of over $500!  All the sets are used!  Is this even worth negotiating? Seller was using Amazon's prices for the sets.

I want them for my collection but no way I will pay over $200 retail price. Still want to get everything as cheap as possible.  I guess the seller doesn't understand what used means and that Amazon prices are not even close to actual prices people are paying for the sets.

I have found a seller who has all the Viking sets and wants to sell them because their kids are going to college.  For all 8 sets, they came up with a price of over $500!  All the sets are used!  Is this even worth negotiating? Seller was using Amazon's prices for the sets.

lol 500$

I'd pay tops 175$ for them used.

maybe 200$ if they are really well preserved.

It wouldn't hurt to try to educate them (in a nice way of course) about the Amazon pricing model, and then let them know what a fair price is and what you would be willing to pay for it.  You can't win if you don't play :hocky:

I basically said that you sets are used. Being put together means used no matter how good of shape the sets are in.  I also mentioned that Amazon's prices are not close to what the sets sell for. told them to look at completed auctions on ebay.

I basically said that you sets are used. Being put together means used no matter how good of shape the sets are in.  I also mentioned that Amazon's prices are not close to what the sets sell for. told them to look at completed auctions on ebay.

Good luck!

It's pretty wild when people go onto Ebay or Amazon, look at the highest price an item is being sold for, and then automatically assume they will get the same. They don't take into account selling fees, median price, or anything like that. I used to try to gently educate people, but often it feels like a waste of time as many people are stubborn and often jump to the conclusion you are lowballing. In truth, If I want something I'm usually willing to offer a fair price in ebay range but slightly lower due to them saving the 20% selling fee. I once offered a guy 300 which is more than fair for an opened complete SSD and he thought I was trying to rip him off as he wanted 375 for it. At that price, for an opened SSD, I'm guessing its still sitting in his closet.   

Well I offered 180.  No go, they said they added the sets up and it is over 500 lol.  I give up.  Told me they are not a wholesale store.

At least you tried - let someone else pay way over what the sets are worth. Or better yet, you can let them sit on them.

Did you let them know your offer stands if they can't find another buyer?

All 8 would include the Chess set wouldn't it?  So I come up with $365.93 for current Brickpicker used prices.  I wouldn't pay over $300.  The average growth for the used sets over the last 1 year has also only been 5.16% so not really an investment option, though 7020 and 7021 were over 15%.

At least you tried - let someone else pay way over what the sets are worth. Or better yet, you can let them sit on them.

Did you let them know your offer stands if they can't find another buyer?

I probably should.  Trying not to be a jerk about their incompetence.  They have some nice sets like cloud city.  Of course they want 1300 for it.  Did I mention all of their sets are used :)

All 8 would include the Chess set wouldn't it?  So I come up with $365.93 for current Brickpicker used prices.  I wouldn't pay over $300.  The average growth for the used sets over the last 1 year has also only been 5.16% so not really an investment option, though 7020 and 7021 were over 15%.

Forgot about the chess set.  Haven't looked at that set.

Well I offered 180.  No go, they said they added the sets up and it is over 500 lol.  I give up.  Told me they are not a wholesale store.

Stolen from Anakinisvader: Offer them 180 and a bologna sandwich. If they say no, at least you still have lunch. Classic.

I'd offer up to $250.00. If they're on Craigslist, keep an eye out for them. 90% of Cragislist junk gets re-listed at reduced prices later, when it finally sinks in that nobody wants to pay that much for used stuff.

That said, Vikings are one of the lines I'm very sore about missing while in my Dark Age.